So what would you tell your grand kids?

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
If your young grand daughter comes over after school for lunch and looks you in the eye and asks why do I grow baby chicks, lambs, calfs and weanlings and then eat them but not puppies or kittens, what is a person to say??

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Look..... look..... check out that cute squirrel over there 😁😁😁

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Puppies and kittens are considered "companion animals" the others are "livestock."

Reactions: 4 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Cats and dogs don't have enough meat on them, plus they don't taste like chicken. Everything else taste like chicken so they get ate. :p

On a more serious note, I would tell her as it was stated above, in our country, dogs and cats are considered pets. In other countries. they are considered food just like chickens, pigs, and cows. I would go on and explain that in some countries they don't eat cows because they are considered holy and some places don't eat pigs because they are considered dirty. Some places eat insects. The food variety varies as much as the people do.

Reactions: 3 users

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I do that so I can afford to have kids, like your mom. Our society has evolved around numerous industries that provide food for families. That is what we do here.

Now, how about a Turkey sandwich, a burger or some chicken wings for lunch?🤪

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If your young grand daughter comes over after school for lunch and looks you in the eye and asks why do I grow baby chicks, lambs, calfs and weanlings and then eat them but not puppies or kittens, what is a person to say??
Tell her that puppies and kittens are tough, and do not have good flavor. :ROFLMAO:

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
1. I'd go b!tch-slap her vegan teacher for trying to indoctrinate her.

2. I'd tell her there ain't enough meat on them to bother...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
How old is this Grand-Daughter?

Is She capable of delineating and abstract thought?

If not, then attempts to 'explain' why we do things (in our culture) might not make sense to her or satisfy her curiosity.

I would first establish the reality or raising certain animals/livestock for the purpose of food sources THEN separate (delineate) those from animals we raise/keep for other reasons (pets, work, protection, etc).

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
But, you eat them too!
You can, but we don't here. I am planning on adding a squirrel go round, and slinkies to the posts for the bird feeders for our amusement 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

This will be after it dries up some so I can grade and seed the yard 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
You can, but we don't here. I am planning on adding a squirrel go round, and slinkies to the posts for the bird feeders for our amusement 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

This will be after it dries up some so I can grade and seed the yard 🙄🙄🙄🙄
Y’all got nutria up there?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Many years ago, one of my grandson's rode with me in my Jeep as I showed his parents the way to our previously set up campsite in the desert. He and his parents, (my daughter and her husband), didn't know the way to the campsite. They followed me in my Jeep.

Anyway, so my 10 y/o grandson tells me as we ride together, that he and his mom and dad don't believe in God. And he says that Jesus and God is a not real and that we all came from serpents out of the sea. Through evolution..

He continues, and says his mom and dad told me that You, Grandpa, love Jesus, and that I (he) should just put up with my ancient ways.

Then he says, we don't eat meat. At all. So, grandpa, I hope that you brought vegen stuff to camp. Because Cheese and meat is from the Devil.

I said, hey, lets talk to you and your parents about this. Because if there is a a Devil, there must be a God.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Is your granddaughter named “Su Lin”….??

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
No reason other than that's what people in our society primarily does. To me, it's like why face makeup is usually only worn by women/girls. However, war paint was worn by men in the Native American tribes. Kind of a contradiction.

I'd be more worried about the grandkids making your livestock pets than asking why you don't eat dogs and cats.