Oh wait! Now I know what you mean! The lever in the rear to push or tow the mower…I have a Z422 and I’ve never figured this out either!Hey I've got a 2017 Z421 and the right drive tow lever moves freely but will not disengage the HST drive. Anyone know why?
No,Do you mean the “bars” that you push forward to go and pull back for reverse?
never heard them called “tow levers”?
Also do you mean the mower will not go into “neutral” when the bars are in the neutral position?
No, those are the motion control levers, I'm talking about two, small rods, located behind the seat in the engine area. They disengage the HST so the mower can be safely towed. Both of them are moving when I pull them, but only the left one works.Do you mean the “bars” that you push forward to go and pull back for reverse?
never heard them called “tow levers”?
Also do you mean the mower will not go into “neutral” when the bars are in the neutral position?
I don't see a cotter pin on either of these.Using the bypass rods are explained on page 42 of the operators manual.
Make sure the cotter pin #240 (and all other parts) are connected properly.
The diagrams I posted are from Kubota Illustrated Parts (K-Pad) for the Z421KW.I don't see a cotter pin on either of these.
BTW, thank you for setting us no manual, heathens on the right path!Using the bypass rods are explained on page 42 of the operators manual.
Make sure the cotter pin #240 (and all other parts) are connected properly.
Your welcome!BTW, thank you for setting us no manual, heathens on the right path!![]()
i see the cotter pin now that I pulled the tire, the linkage is intact, it turns a square shaft on top of the HST. Looks like the problem is inside the HST.The diagrams I posted are from Kubota Illustrated Parts (K-Pad) for the Z421KW.
Take a picture of what you do have and post if you can so we can see what's what.
THE shaft is definitely turning or BOTH shafts, left and right, are definitely turning?The shaft is definitely turning.
Yes, both shafts turn when their individual levers are moved. Not sure why the left (working) tow switch matters what the right one is doing. Are they linked somehow? Sorry if I'm being dense, but aside from brakes and one horrible hydraulic clutch on an '89 Datsun, I've no experience with hydraulics.THE shaft is definitely turning or BOTH shafts, left and right, are definitely turning?
If both are rotating with absolutely no play then it's above my pay grade. I've never worked on the HST and defer to those with deeper knowledge of the system. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
That’s the way I understood it…have to hold the “right one” standing behind the mower while the other side is pulled out…The instructions state you should stand at the rear of the tractor and first pull the LEFT side lever and push it down to the by-pass position thus holding it in place. Then pull the RIGHT side lever and hold it (no locking position) while you move the tractor.
To me - BOTH must be used at the same time to free up the transmission. Each side must lock into the transmission, so if you only unlock one side the other will still be locked and it won't budge.
As I said above if you are "unlocking" both sides properly and it still won't roll I have no other ideas since I've never taken one apart.