New to tractors, top link concern

estarr92

New member

Equipment
Mx5400
Sep 28, 2026
8
3
3
Hamburg NY
Good morning, my tractor got delivered with my viper blower the other day. This is my first tractor so I’m very ignorant here. I googled the top link length for my mx5400 and it’s 35 1/4. It’s currently extended out to 33.5 so I’m concerned about breaking it.

I tried looking online for longer ones but I’m not really seeing anything.

I also can’t seem to move this PTO cover back over the on the blower side. I’m sure it’s something simple I’m missing but could use some help. Thank you.
 

Attachments

MOOTS

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
2,234
2,850
113
Canton, Georgia
Hopefully you are planning some rear remotes, otherwise you won’t be able to adjust the tilt and spin of that blower. I see the hydraulic hoses aren’t hooked to the tractor…
 

estarr92

New member

Equipment
Mx5400
Sep 28, 2026
8
3
3
Hamburg NY
Hopefully you are planning some rear remotes, otherwise you won’t be able to adjust the tilt and spin of that blower. I see the hydraulic hoses aren’t hooked to the tractor…
Hey, yes. I’m waiting on the dealer for the 2 rear remotes. But I wanted some time with it before the snow flies so they dropped it off while waiting for the remotes to come in
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
322
185
43
Virginia
You want 2 inches of thread still in the barrel part of the top link on each side I'd say to be safe.

I assume with a blower, you need the rear end down, meaning the toplink needs to be extended.

I know they make a long version of toplinks, so you may want to check with your dealer on that if you are in fact pushing that 2 inch limit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

estarr92

New member

Equipment
Mx5400
Sep 28, 2026
8
3
3
Hamburg NY
You want 2 inches of thread still in the barrel part of the top link on each side I'd say to be safe.

I assume with a blower, you need the rear end down, meaning the toplink needs to be extended.

I know they make a long version of toplinks, so you may want to check with your dealer on that if you are in fact pushing that 2 inch limit.
When they dropped it off they told me there's only about 1/2" of thread on either side which was extremely concerning. They also said they didnt have a stock option that's longer for this tractor. It's a cat 1/2 top link. Do you know of any place that sells these longer ones? I've been scouring the internet but have yet to find something
 

hedgerow

Well-known member
Jan 2, 2015
486
476
63
Malcolm NE
I had the same issue with my MX6000 the top link was too short from my sprayer. I bought a longer one from TSC probably the one you have listed. Been running it for several years with no issues. the Kubota factory one hangs on the peg board in the shed. I did complain to the dealer about it being too short and got no where with that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

JasonW

Well-known member
Jan 29, 2015
890
592
93
Al
I would put the money that you would spend on a longer top link and go ahead and get a hydraulic top link.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

estarr92

New member

Equipment
Mx5400
Sep 28, 2026
8
3
3
Hamburg NY
I would put the money that you would spend on a longer top link and go ahead and get a hydraulic top link.
I thought about this as well but with it being so close to the snow season I’m going to try and sneak by with the mechanical this year and look into hydraulic replacement in the spring
 

bobnic

Active member

Equipment
LX4020, BX2370, KX033, Ford 8N
Mar 7, 2025
134
138
43
Lakes Region, NH
An hydraulic top link would be of no real use with the snow blower. Once you adjust the manual top link to have the snow blower properly aligned when on the ground there should be no reason to change the top link length during operation. Also the hydraulic top link will require another rear remote since the snowblower needs two.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

MtnViewRanch

Well-known member
Oct 10, 2012
916
380
63
Lakeside Ca.
Typically, rule of thumb is that the diameter of the threads is how much should be in the threaded portion.
So about 1". 1/2" is a problem waiting to happen. :eek:

Have in mind that the ball swivel width at the tractor side is only 1 3/4" with a cat 1, 3/4" dia pin.
So if you get the linked-to top link, plan on grinding to fit. :(
 
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
2,980
2,357
113
Western MT
I don't think the top link would be easy to break, but it might bend more easily.

Look at Tractor Supply or Rural King or similar for a replacement.
 

estarr92

New member

Equipment
Mx5400
Sep 28, 2026
8
3
3
Hamburg NY
Typically, rule of thumb is that the diameter of the threads is how much should be in the threaded portion.
So about 1". 1/2" is a problem waiting to happen. :eek:

Have in mind that the ball swivel width at the tractor side is only 1 3/4" with a cat 1, 3/4" dia pin.
So if you get the linked-to top link, plan on grinding to fit. :(
So you're saying the cat 2/1 bushing adapter wouldnt work?
 

#40Fan

Well-known member
Jul 21, 2022
646
479
63
USA
As for the PTO cover, I don't think it moves anymore than where it is at right now.

Have you checked the length of the PTO shaft to make sure it isn't too short?
 

estarr92

New member

Equipment
Mx5400
Sep 28, 2026
8
3
3
Hamburg NY
As for the PTO cover, I don't think it moves anymore than where it is at right now.

Have you checked the length of the PTO shaft to make sure it isn't too short?
The dealer cut the shaft and fit the blower for me. I'll be honest I wouldnt even know how to tell if the shaft was too short or not.
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
322
185
43
Virginia
Probably could, but they aren't very expensive at Tractor Supply or similar.
No, they aren't very expensive, but when I looked at TS.com I saw a 35 inch "long" one, but I thought thats the length he had already so I wasn't sure.
 

estarr92

New member

Equipment
Mx5400
Sep 28, 2026
8
3
3
Hamburg NY
I ended up purchasing the one I linked earlier so we’ll see what happens there. It’s a 20” body with 37” of “working length” instead of the 16” / 33”. So I’m hoping with the additional 4” of body and the longer threads I’ll be within the safe spec. That said I’ll need to use a cat 2 to 1 bushing adapter. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason the next step would probably be purchasing one of those extension brackets. My only thought was liking the idea of just one piece instead of having to bolt into another bracket that the top link goes into. No real rational / logical reason for it other than one less thing that could break.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

MOOTS

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
2,234
2,850
113
Canton, Georgia
I ended up purchasing the one I linked earlier so we’ll see what happens there. It’s a 20” body with 37” of “working length” instead of the 16” / 33”. So I’m hoping with the additional 4” of body and the longer threads I’ll be within the safe spec. That said I’ll need to use a cat 2 to 1 bushing adapter. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason the next step would probably be purchasing one of those extension brackets. My only thought was liking the idea of just one piece instead of having to bolt into another bracket that the top link goes into. No real rational / logical reason for it other than one less thing that could break.
The bushing will work. You will have to grind down the width a bit to fit the tractor side, as well as the pivot ball in the top link. CAT2 stuff is wider.