Do they really charge that much?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Isn't the warranty 2 years or 1,500 hours.
The Full Warranty is 2 years or 1500 hours

The Power Train Warranty on an LX is 6 years or 2000 hrs. (non-commercial use)

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Apparently so, as @PaulL states above.:ROFLMAO:
just my experience 😂 have seen people spend a lot of money trying to save a lot of money.

not directed at anyone here.

edit: the dealership guys on here know what I’m talking about 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The Full Warranty is 2 years or 1500 hours

The Power Train Warranty on an LX is 6 years or 2000 hrs. (non-commercial use)
The "limited" power train warranty. I doubt many of us read through the fine print to figure out exactly what's covered until something breaks.

Interestingly, the MX limited power train warranty is 6 years/2000 hours but the M6060 and all M series is 3 years/3000 hours.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
just my experience 😂 have seen people spend a lot of money trying to save a lot of money.

not directed at anyone here.

edit: the dealership guys on here know what I’m talking about 😂
That's a very broad brush and it's true of everything in this world. Also, what you don't see at a dealership is the significant number of competent owners who don't need a dealership. You have no idea how many fall into that category. What you see are the problems but not the successes.

For many of us, we'd rather do the work ourselves for more than simply the cost savings, which can be substantial.

Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
The "limited" power train warranty. I doubt many of us read through the fine print to figure out exactly what's covered until something breaks.

Interestingly, the MX limited power train warranty is 6 years/2000 hours but the M6060 and all M series is 3 years/3000 hours.
Well, it is pretty much like an auto power train warranty. It cover the engine, transmission and the driveline. It, like cars, does not cover anything attached - such as alternators, power steering and etc.

Here is the actual list:

POWERTRAIN or CUTTERBAR and GEARBOX warranty covers only the components as specified in this guide. Powertrain and Cutterbar and Gearbox warranty do not apply to all models. Powertrain coverage includes the following components:  Transmission/HST case(s)/housing(s) o All transmission case sections for models with multiple sections  Transmission Case  Mid Case  Clutch Housing o Shafts, Bearings, and Gears contained within the case/housing o Seals mounted in the case/housing  Transmission/HST valves and pumps associated with driveline operations o Shuttle Shift Valves o PTO Clutch Valves o Hydraulic pumps which are used in driveline operations  PTO Case o PTO Output Shaft o Shafts, Bearings and Gears contained within the PTO case/housing o Seals mounted in the PTO case/housing  Front and rear axle case/housing, Bevel hear case/housing o Shafts, Bearings, and Gears contained within o Seals mounted in the housing  Engine metals and seals contained within the engine crankcase, engine cylinder head, and engine gear case o Crankcase, Crankshaft, and Crankshaft Bearings o Pistons, Connecting Rods, and Bearings
o Camshaft, Idle Gear Shafts, Balance Shaft o Gears contained within the Engine Gear Case o Cylinder Head o Engine Intake and Exhaust Valves and Valve Train Components o Engine Oil Pumps contained within the Engine Gear Case o Cylinder Head Gasket o Engine Crankshaft Oil Seals

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That's a very broad brush and it's true of everything in this world. Also, what you don't see at a dealership is the significant number of competent owners who don't need a dealership. You have no idea how many fall into that category. What you see are the problems but not the successes.

For many of us, we'd rather do the work ourselves for more than simply the cost savings, which can be substantial.
I did the next service myself.

I wanted to be sure the first one was done right, it mattered for warranty. The manual is reasonably clear though, so I did the next one myself, and I'm nearly due for 400 hours now. Actually the biggest problem is going to be having a tub big enough to drain the hydraulic fluid into.

But I can easily see someone getting it wrong, if a filter falls off or you miss a service item, it could cost you way more than you save.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
They may not own tractors BUT they have $$$$ cars to maintain PLUS insurance !!!
NONE of the 'trades' is south of $100/hr anymore.....
True. That is the standard starting rate, but that includes shop costs as well as labor.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
About once every 2-3 years I call one of the dealers I used to work at and ask them their labor rate and about 4 months ago it was $157/hour.

In one of my "Nostradamus moments" I installed one of these.

IMG_39041_2[1].jpg

Hahahah....the night my wife came home and saw the "ceiling" for the garage on the "floor", the dinner conversation was......ummm........lets just say, "interesting". 😂 😂 😂 😂

Not sure what a 10K lift goes for nowadays, but back then it was $2,400 +Free Shipping, free "extension kit", and no sales tax.

Man, I miss the "no sales tax" days......I always enjoyed "screwing the man". 🍸:p

EDIT: Wow, what the hell happened to my garage???????

It used to be so nice and neat........Now it looks like I have 3 Hobo's living in it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
About once every 2-3 years I call one of the dealers I used to work at and ask them their labor rate and about 4 months ago it was $157/hour.

View attachment 130083

Hahahah....the night my wife came home and saw the "ceiling" for the garage on the "floor", the dinner conversation was......ummm........lets just say, "interesting". 😂 😂 😂 😂

Not sure what a 10K lift goes for nowadays, but back then it was $2,400 +Free Shipping, free "extension kit", and no sales tax.

Man, I miss the "no sales tax" days......I always enjoyed "screwing the man". 🍸:p
(y)

I have the twin of that lift in my shop. At the time I bought it from Greg Smith Equipment the price was around $1800 delivered and it has more than paid for itself. The amortization of the costs for the shop building I erected for it is going a little slower....

Dan

• Love

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
(y)

I have the twin of that lift in my shop. At the time I bought it from Greg Smith Equipment the price was around $1800 delivered and it has more than paid for itself. The amortization of the costs for the shop building I erected for it is going a little slower....

Dan
That's where I got this one from. (y)

I think they are no longer in business though.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I called my local dealer and informed them I had a B2601 and needed a 50 hr service and asked for the cost.

Service person replied $600-700 dollars.o_Oo_O

I said, "Wow, I had no idea it would cost that much."

She laughed and said, "Yep, we hear that a lot."

I was trying to save myself some time by dropping it off before heading out of town. And then just picking it up when I got back. I guess not. :rolleyes:

I was thinking it would be around $350. At that price they're still making money.

But for $600-700 I will just do it myself.
I've got 6 filters and 15 gallons of SuperUDT to change every 200hrs and the parts cost almost CDN$700 after tax.

If I do the work myself my labour is "free" but the costs for owning and maintaining equipment isn't.

It pisses me off to hear clueless guys whining and complaining about costs and trying to beat me down on price and labour and expect me to work for them for free.

My observation is that the biggest whiners are the guys who buy BMW's and Mercs and are about 1 lease payment away from foreclosure on their lifestyles of the wannabe rich and famous.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Pop always said' if you can afford to buy a Caddy, you can afford to repair it'.

to the 'whiners'.... learn to read a manual, buy some tools and get 'wrench turning' !

As for the guys that lease their 'fancy ride', that don't impress me as it's NOT theirs. Now if they ACTUALLY buy their rides, that's different.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
For a FULL service:

Not counting transport (and using regular pricing) $350 is $44 less than it costs me to do it myself. Two pails of SUHD2 @ $140 and a filter kit @ $92 plus $22 PA tax is $394. I do it for a bit less than that because I'm 5 minutes from Messicks and stock up when they have their Winter sales going.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

View attachment 130083

EDIT: Wow, what the hell happened to my garage???????

It used to be so nice and neat........Now it looks like I have 3 Hobo's living in it.
Oh boy, a lift has always been high on my wish list, but having big, heavy trucks for years has meant that the lift would have to be one of the more substantial models, and then there's the issue of where to put it. I've spent decades crawling around and under vehicles and it's never fun.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I did the next service myself.

I wanted to be sure the first one was done right, it mattered for warranty. The manual is reasonably clear though, so I did the next one myself, and I'm nearly due for 400 hours now. Actually the biggest problem is going to be having a tub big enough to drain the hydraulic fluid into.

But I can easily see someone getting it wrong, if a filter falls off or you miss a service item, it could cost you way more than you save.
I will point out that I can spend six hours doing a job that a Kubota technician has to get done in three or else they're working for free. No one is yelling at me for allowing the engine oil to drain for 30 minutes. Technicians at dealerships are under tremendous pressure to get the work done fast and that can lead to subpar work.

I have to change the glow plugs on my F250. I bought a set of OEM glow plugs for $7 each but the labor to install them is $$$$ so I'm ok taking twice as long as a Ford technician to do a careful and thorough job. I have a Fel Pro valve cover gasket set to install as well. It's going to be a long day when I get to it but it's so worth it to me, for a number of reasons including cost.

I have a brake carnage thread going and parts are costing me $600 or so. I haven't priced a brake job that involves new rotors and pads at all four corners along with a caliper rebuild, reman or new part but I bet it's more than twice what I'm paying for parts.

Reactions: 1 users

sitric

Equipment
L2850DT Ferguson TO35
Jan 13, 2023
Michigan
(y)

Dan
Greg owns property next to my hunting property, and has a nice shop with 2 of the lifts in it. His caretaker allows me use of it at any time, so so far, I haven't seen fit to install my own. If he wasn't such a good close neighbor, I certainly would be installing my own.