Left-handed

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It's a hassle being left-handed. I'm also 6'4".

Seems like I can't get anything that fits locally. I always try my locally-owned folks first, but even the chain places don't carry the stuff I need.

Bought a new handgun a while back. Had a hard time finding a decent semi-auto that works for me, and had a heck of a time finding a holster for a leftie here, both local guys and chains.

I hate getting stuff over the internet, but have to for some stuff.

Finally decided to get a leftie holster on the internet.

Worked this time.....:D

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Grinders,electric drills.
I grind off the trigger locks to keep from locking them on. Why in the world would anybody want to lock the switch on a 7" makita grinder anyway?
I have a massive prehistoric drill,locked it on by accident, try and stop that thing when it jammed the bit -Not happenin, had to unplug it.

Strange thing-leather gloves.
I trash the right glove before the left. And i have more scars on my right hand then my left.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It's a hassle being left-handed. I'm also 6'4".

Seems like I can't get anything that fits locally. I always try my locally-owned folks first, but even the chain places don't carry the stuff I need.

Bought a new handgun a while back. Had a hard time finding a decent semi-auto that works for me, and had a heck of a time finding a holster for a leftie here, both local guys and chains.

I hate getting stuff over the internet, but have to for some stuff.

Finally decided to get a leftie holster on the internet.

Worked this time.....:D
RCW,

I feel your pain - i too am in "the right frame of mind" being left handed.....

I also was looking for a left handed "hand gun" that would support lefties....
did a lot of research - RUGER SR9c is the cats lick - one of the best triggers you will find EVER - smooth as a babies ass ! AND I found a nice holster too.

here is a picture of both -

I like it soooo much I bought the stainless steel slide one too.....

both shoot very accurately too.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I learned to shoot high powered rifles the other way so i can use the bolt action with my right. Reaching over or swapping hands didnt work.
Never had any experience with handguns so i really cant comment.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I feel your pain, but I might be even weirder….. I'm right-handed, but with a left master eye. That means I shoot pistol right-handed, but shotgun & rifle left-handed. Finally gave up on bolt action rifles & just shoot autos now. I've only known 3 people this odd- me, my wife, & my father.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I feel your pain, but I might be even weirder….. I'm right-handed, but with a left master eye. That means I shoot pistol right-handed, but shotgun & rifle left-handed. Finally gave up on bolt action rifles & just shoot autos now. I've only known 3 people this odd- me, my wife, & my father.

Lil Foot,

I am left handed, but "bat" and golf right handed, and am left eyed dominate too !! My oldest son is left eyed, left handed and swings left ....

my youngest son is right handed everything - BUT left eyed dominate....he shoots a rifle and pistol right handed and shoots pool right handed!

My mom is left handed and shoots left handed, but is right eyed dominate.....cant hit sheeeit with a gun !!! LOL !!!!:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use a fishing pole rightie. Finally bought one that could swap sides years ago - and couldn't use it!:rolleyes:

Never owned a left handed long gun, and have gotten many, many woodchucks with a right-handed Remington Model 700 Varmint Special in .22-250.

Odd thing - bread ties are a hassle....if I put it on, I can't get if off. I'm used to it being twisted other direction.:confused:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I feel your pain, but I might be even weirder….. I'm right-handed, but with a left master eye. .... I've only known 3 people this odd- ...
Call it 5 now... me and my late father are the same as well.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
my youngest son is right handed everything - BUT left eyed dominate....he shoots a rifle and pistol right handed and shoots pool right handed! ..
Don't know how your son does it....... but being left eyed was told DO NOT EVER shoot a rifle right handed cause your face reaches over the top of the rifle too far to get to your left shooting eye. If any rifle issues arrise in the mechanisims your face/brain is in extreme danger that way.

Granted I did get my marksmans badges shooting right hand left eye (M14, M16)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Granted I did get my marksmans badges shooting right hand left eye (M14, M16)
Wow - never saw anyone shoot that way!

Must be a challenge, but it obviously worked for you!

Someone remarked about always wearing out the right glove first.

I worked my way through high school and college in restaurants cooking. I don't know how many times I had my right hand stitched up because my left hand had the knife! :eek:

My right is also stronger than my left.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I also was looking for a left handed "hand gun" that would support lefties.....
So true. I always wanted a 1911. But some 1911's and so many semi's are not "handy" for a leftie.

This one is a Springfield XDS .45 ACP. Not great for a leftie - slide release on wrong side.

Probably one of the smaller .45's you'll find, and it had good reviews. Never had a gun made in Croatia before.

My hands are good sized - but this works OK with the single-stack extended magazine.

My .22-250 varmint gun is late 60's vintage, shortly after the Wildcat caliber came out commercially. BEAUTIFUL Monte Carlo stock. Lost on me, because I use the other side!

But, since I shoot off a bipod, I work bolt with right hand - works good.

My longest woodchuck shot is 575 yards.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My longest woodchuck shot is 575 yards.
To quote the immortal John Wayne:
"Damn, that's good shootin'….."

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
To quote the immortal John Wayne:
"Damn, that's good shootin'….."
Don't know the source, but "Sometimes its better to be lucky than good."

A 'chuck is a small target. 150-200 yards is often a gimme. 300 not so much, and each +50 yards is big beyond 300.

That year, I did several 500 yarders. Tough to get 600+ yards in upstate NY. The topography doesn't allow much more.

The coyotes have taken care of the woodchucks lately. Hasn't been much good hunting for 20 years or so.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I too am left handed, but I play guitar right handed and noticed while shooting guns, that I seem to use both eyes since I hold the gun against my right shoulder when shooting a rifle or shotgun, but seems when I look at the sights, it looks like it's right in the middle of my view. I shoot handguns straight out in front of me.

I shoot right handed and have a Glock 26, 9mm. Also have a Ruger SR22 and a Taurus raging bull 44 magnum among some other toys. :D

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As the original poster from 10 years ago, I feel I have a right to resurrect the thread.

Getting away from handguns this time.

Probably sounds foolish, but the last couple cheapie digital calipers I've had are made for righties.

They lasted as long a cheapie digital caliper is expected to last......maybe exacerbated by a true lefty trying to use it?

I'm no precise machinist like several of our OTT members. Don't need anything too extravagant.

I actually found some left-handed calipers on line

Haven't bought one yet, but good thing someone is thinking about us guys..... ;)

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As the original poster from 10 years ago, I feel I have a right to resurrect the thread.

Getting away from handguns this time.

Probably sounds foolish, but the last couple cheapie digital calipers I've had are made for righties.

They lasted as long a cheapie digital caliper is expected to last......maybe exacerbated by a true lefty trying to use it?

I'm no precise machinist like several of our OTT members. Don't need anything too extravagant.

I actually found some left-handed calipers on line

Haven't bought one yet, but good thing someone is thinking about us guys..... ;)
People that resurrect 10 year old threads are almost always spammers...
I almost hit the ban button on principal alone! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
People that resurrect 10 year old threads are almost always spammers...
I almost hit the ban button on principal alone! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Don’t blame you!👍

Part of the reason I qualified it as OP.

Thought I had a lefty thread and was surprised it was 10 years ago….time flies…😳

I’m not smart enough to be a spammer….ask anyone……🥺🥺

@Fordtech86 even poked a little fun at me and @skeets about our lack of tech savvy…..he was right on my part. I think skeets is sandbagging, but I think he and I are on a similar level of IT capability …🧐

Hell, I’m surprised I was smart enough to search and find the old LH thread! 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Even chainsaws can cause issues for some lefties.

While it's been years, recall a friend using a chainsaw with hands reversed on the saw.

He was a decent novice and very dominate lefty like me. Think he was running a Stihl 044 blocking firewood. Great saw in the era.

Looked friggin weird, and told him that ain't right. You're gonna eat that bar sometime if you get a kickback. He'd done it for decades.

I couldn't figure how he ran a saw before automatic oil pumps.

He couldn't fathom running it the "right" way......he passed years later at 80 without a chainsaw Knick on him. Worked for him. ;)