Tractor in an enclosed trailer?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'm in the market for an enclosed trailer. Since I hate to have anything that is single purpose (except the race bikes :ROFLMAO:) I was thinking about buying one that the L will fit in. I don't have a flat bed trailer, and wouldn't really have a use for one other than towing the L. It seems that getting a slightly larger cargo trailer would make more sense. If I ever needed/ wanted to take the tractor somewhere, I could.
Any of y'all do this?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I did it once, I had a 20 ft enclosed that I hauled a buddys BX23 in. I was tight and a pain to chain down but fit for 300 mile trip.
I know that they are making higher enclosed haulers theses day to fit some of the bigger UTV's in.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I use an enclosed trailer without issue. When the Kubota is in frequent use I keep it in the barn and store a small tractor in the trailer. An enclosed trailer also offers storage for tools and all kinds of accessories while keeping them protected from weather and thieves.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm in the market for an enclosed trailer. Since I hate to have anything that is single purpose (except the race bikes :ROFLMAO:) I was thinking about buying one that the L will fit in. I don't have a flat bed trailer, and wouldn't really have a use for one other than towing the L. It seems that getting a slightly larger cargo trailer would make more sense. If I ever needed/ wanted to take the tractor somewhere, I could.
Any of y'all do this?
You will need to create a suitable tilt/chain down situation.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I went a couple hundred miles to pickup a 30 HP tractor in a 6' wide cattle trailer. It fit because I had the seller lay a piece of lumber on the outside of each rear tire and measure between the 2x4s. Had a couple of inches to spare. I had to have someone drive the tractor in and then when I got home had someone remove it. Point is that was a tight fit. No head roam, no side room and I'm 6'-4".

Just make sure everything fits!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I did it once, I had a 20 ft enclosed that I hauled a buddys BX23 in. I was tight and a pain to chain down but fit for 300 mile trip.
I know that they are making higher enclosed haulers theses day to fit some of the bigger UTV's in.
Yeah, I know it'll be a little tight. The L is a bit over 5' wide and 6' tall (ROPS down), but I'm planning on a 8.5x20 10k hauler. Interior is 7' high. As it would be a car hauler, there are a plethora of D ring and E Track options.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You will need to create a suitable tilt/chain down situation.
4100 lb rated ramp door. Driving in n out won't be a problem. Tie downs may have to be added after I figure out where to put it (fore and aft of the axles) for proper balance.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I went a couple hundred miles to pickup a 30 HP tractor in a 6' wide cattle trailer. It fit because I had the seller lay a piece of lumber on the outside of each rear tire and measure between the 2x4s. Had a couple of inches to spare. I had to have someone drive the tractor in and then when I got home had someone remove it. Point is that was a tight fit. No head roam, no side room and I'm 6'-4".

Just make sure everything fits!
Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
Yeah, it won't be a daily thing. A 20' long will fit including the BB on the rear with room to spare. It'll fit between the inside fenders on an 8.5 wide. I'm 6' 1" so not as tall. I know it would be a crouched over maneuver to load/ unload.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
we have a 28' enclosed at work, they use it for big events (off-road equipment). However, the boss has, from time-to-time, hauled his tractor with it. This 28' trailer is 1' extra height. Most are around 6' floor to ceiling, this one is 7'. It is not an uncommon setup with the 1' extra height. It adds more expense though, to an already pricey trailer. Ours at work is a Cynergy2 trailer. They're "ok", but I am not really that impressed with them. Lot of cut corners. If I were in the market for another trailer, I would probably try my best to avoid that brand.

Keep this in mind. The trailer with tractor may not be all that heavy, but a big box takes a TON of power to pull it at freeway speeds. Adding 1' extra height makes it even harder to pull. Get a V nose if possible, that helps but they still need a lot of power to pull them at speed. My truck is an F250 diesel (7.3) and on the floorboard, it will run 77 mph on flat ground with no wind pulling my 26' standard height trailer with race car in it. Without the car in it (empty), it runs 77 mph flat footed. It's not the weight, it's the aero drag. Just gives you something to think about.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It's a great idea. Of course, the major issues are height with a cab tractor or a backhoe. And the length.
If your truck is capable, put a toilet and small kitchen in the front. Fold down beds. Water and waste tanks underneath. Make a toyhauler out of it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
we have a 28' enclosed at work, they use it for big events (off-road equipment). However, the boss has, from time-to-time, hauled his tractor with it. This 28' trailer is 1' extra height. Most are around 6' floor to ceiling, this one is 7'. It is not an uncommon setup with the 1' extra height. It adds more expense though, to an already pricey trailer. Ours at work is a Cynergy2 trailer. They're "ok", but I am not really that impressed with them. Lot of cut corners. If I were in the market for another trailer, I would probably try my best to avoid that brand.

Keep this in mind. The trailer with tractor may not be all that heavy, but a big box takes a TON of power to pull it at freeway speeds. Adding 1' extra height makes it even harder to pull. Get a V nose if possible, that helps but they still need a lot of power to pull them at speed. My truck is an F250 diesel (7.3) and on the floorboard, it will run 77 mph on flat ground with no wind pulling my 26' standard height trailer with race car in it. Without the car in it (empty), it runs 77 mph flat footed. It's not the weight, it's the aero drag. Just gives you something to think about.
That is a very good point. I do know that pulling a 10000 pound boat is a lot different than a box trailer of the same weight. A little known spec in the towing section of truck manuals is the max frontal area of a trailer.
The 6.7 F350 (tuned, not deleted) pulls the 40' toy hauler easily enough. It tops 13k and has only slightly better aero than a beer can. 😆
Still worth considering for anyone else following along.
I'm looking at Wells Cargo and Sure-Trac car haulers. FWIW.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
make sure the trailer you're looking at has enough floor bracing for the weight and the type load you're gonna be carrying. Some are 24" centers, some are 18" some are 12", etc.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
make sure the trailer you're looking at has enough floor bracing for the weight and the type load you're gonna be carrying. Some are 24" centers, some are 18" some are 12", etc.
Another excellent point!
The car haulers are 16 oc and have steel plate welded lengthwise where wheels would typically go. I did think about going 12 oc, but that seems a little overkill for a 4k tractor. That's with the BB and weights on. There is another option for double 3/4 wood decking. The ramp doors are rated for 4500 standing weight.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe I missed it but ya know ya gota get out once your in,, soooo a side door might be in order, unless your a lizard er sumthin :)

• Haha

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Maybe I missed it but ya know ya gota get out once your in,, soooo a side door might be in order, unless your a lizard er sumthin :)
Well, I do build Japanese motorcycles as a hobby. My hands and arms are fairly reptilian 🤣
I think I may pull up next to the shop wall with about 18" clearance and see how bad that is. An 8' wide box should leave a foot n a half on either side. I probably won't want to do it in 10 years, but by then maybe I will have a flat bed.
An escape door would be very convenient, but takes up a lot of wall space I need for race operations. The wife did say to go the next size up from whatever I "think" we need 🤔

• Haha

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LOL,, aint no worse then working on American bikes they are all a PIA :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well, I do build Japanese motorcycles as a hobby. My hands and arms are fairly reptilian 🤣
LOL,, aint no worse then working on American bikes they are all a PIA :)
Don’t want thread-drift, but used to have a buddy that specialized in old Bridgestone motorcycles.

Sold by Montgomery-Wards, and British bikes as I recall?

My experience has been whether rice burners or Harley, they both can be a little challenging in one place or another….😳

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Don’t want thread-drift, but used to have a buddy that specialized in old Bridgestone motorcycles.

Sold by Montgomery-Wards, and British bikes as I recall?

My experience has been whether rice burners or Harley, they both can be a little challenging in one place or another….😳
Yes....yes they can.
image000000(2).jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users