Fiddle farting around on the farm.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Only 1 thing to do when it gets like this ……. 🎣
No problemo. It's about 7* cooler on the coast, definitely a big difference.

Got 8 crab traps out on the pier, too windy to put da boat in the water again. Waiting on the Laundry Fairy to bring down the charcuterie board for dinner. Currently enjoying a Wild Texas Kolsch Ale.

20230713_180541.jpg

20230628_202640.jpg

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
No problemo. It's about 7* cooler on the coast, definitely a big difference.

Got 8 crab traps out on the pier, too windy to put da boat in the water again. Waiting on the Laundry Fairy to bring down the charcuterie board for dinner. Currently enjoying a Wild Texas Kolsch Ale.

View attachment 107201

View attachment 107203
You are making it hard to sympathize with you & conditions. Shitz, I’d like to join you.
What kind of crab/fish do you catch?
My gulf fishing experience consists of catching flounder off Crystal beach around Galveston, when I was 14. Been a few years.
Around here, Crappie are my main quarry. Water levels are down, all the cover is high & dry. If the bait fish go shallow, the herons get them. If the bait fish go deep, the bigger fish get them. Most bait fish are history. Throw anything that looks like a minnow, you will catch fish.
IMG_8823.jpeg

IMG_8832.jpeg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Around here, Crappie are my main quarry. Water levels are down, all the cover is high & dry. If the bait fish go shallow, the herons get them. If the bait fish go deep, the bigger fish get them. Most bait fish are history. Throw anything that looks like a minnow, you will catch fish.
View attachment 107208
Pretty healthy looking Crappie. My favorite freshwater fish to eat.

Used to catch them by the hundreds on Grand Lake (Okla) as a kid.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Pretty healthy looking Crappie. My favorite freshwater fish to eat.

Used to catch them by the hundreds on Grand Lake (Okla) as a kid.
I like Grand Lake, but really like Tenkiller Lake for Crappie. That had more to do with Dad was driving, I went where he went.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
You are making it hard to sympathize with you & conditions. Shitz, I’d like to join you.
What kind of crab/fish do you catch?
My gulf fishing experience consists of catching flounder off Crystal beach around Galveston, when I was 14. Been a few years.
Around here, Crappie are my main quarry. Water levels are down, all the cover is high & dry. If the bait fish go shallow, the herons get them. If the bait fish go deep, the bigger fish get them. Most bait fish are history. Throw anything that looks like a minnow, you will catch fish. View attachment 107207
View attachment 107208
Winds have not been favorable for fishing/boating. My cousin and his friends went out this morning in his boat with not much luck, they came back to get more beer and grub and headed back out.
We primarily fish for reds, trout and flounder, but with saltwater there is numerous fish/sharks to catch.

Blue crabs have been plentiful though.
20230715_103920.jpg

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Caught well over 50 crabs in 24 hours.

Returned all the females, and numerous smaller ones, even though they met the 5in minimum.

Kept 18 and 3 claws off the rock crabs.

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Located the trespasser I shot off the porch last night.

View attachment 107719

View attachment 107720

View attachment 107721
Good Job!

Never ending battle! I shoot them, trap them, snare them.....but they just keep making more.

Reactions: 1 user

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Good Job!

Never ending battle! I shoot them, trap them, snare them.....but they just keep making more.

I plan on building a figure 6 trap, just needs to be 25 degrees cooler outside, lol

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Gotta have happy & healthy cows for great tasting steaks!
You do for sure. I get my beef from a ranch near Inman, KS. Lots of wild marijuana in the pastures. Those cows don’t get much happier😁.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The Devil's Lasso: How Barbed Wire Shaped the Frontier
Before 1874, most settlers embraced a practice wherein cattle and sheep roamed freely on the expansive prairies, sharing pastures and water sources with fellow pioneers. These were the days of the "open range," when courageous cowboys undertook arduous journeys to transport cattle to markets in the eastern prairies when nomadic Plains Indian tribes trailed the vast buffalo herds, and when countless adventurous pioneers embarked on the Oregon, California, and Mormon Trails to reach the distant western territories.
The concept of utilizing barbed wire to fence livestock had been circulating for some time. In 1868, Michael Kelly devised the fundamental design of barbed wire by intertwining two plain wires to form a cable with barbs. Subsequently, in 1874, Joseph Glidden, a farmer hailing from De Kalb, Illinois, enhanced Kelly's invention by securing a simple wire barb between double-strand wires, which earned him a patent from the U.S. government. Glidden's design proved cost-effective, easily manufacturable, and proficient at containing livestock, leading to its rapid proliferation across the Plains.
Finally, homesteaders possessed a straightforward yet efficient tool to demarcate their boundaries and confine their animals. Other inventors also obtained patents for their distinct variations of basic barbed wire designs, resulting in over 500 patents issued by the U.S. government between 1868 and 1874. Consequently, the vast expanse of open prairies gradually transformed into divided parcels delineated by barbed wire fences.
The advent of barbed wire had detrimental effects on the existing cultures thriving in the open spaces. Plains tribes and the majestic buffalo herds they pursued could no longer roam freely across the vanishing expanses. At the same time, ranchers found themselves devoid of grazing areas and faced challenges in herding cattle on extensive drives. Initially, cattlemen resisted this change by cutting through barbed wire fences to forge paths across private properties for their herds, igniting the infamous era of the "range wars." However, as the early 1900s approached, ranching adapted to the evolving landscape, with ranchers utilizing barbed wire to enclose their cattle. Additionally, all the Plains tribes were forcibly relocated to reservations. The era of the open range had come to an end.
Simultaneously, as patents were being granted for diverse types of barbed wire and manufacturing companies emerged to meet the demand, some resourceful homesteaders found it more convenient and economical to produce their own barbed wire, employing existing models as guides. This pragmatic approach resulted in over 2,000 variations and 500 patents for barbed wire.
Read More: Barbed Wire: "The Fence That Changed the West" https://amzn.to/3pY69CX

Reactions: 1 user

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Not much excitement happening at the farm. Tomorrow I'm gonna start on 2 IBC totes and plum them to accept water hoses and then add a stainless steel waterer to the other end of the hose, the kind of waterer for horses and goats. Doing this for the wildlife, I'm sure my dumbass cows will use them as convenience also.

Coming back to the farm today, a trucker took a corner a bit to fast. The truck was loaded, not sure with what though. The driver was fine, but I bet he crapped his pants!! About every 2 months there are wrecks on this road, it has about 5 or 6 ninety degree turns on it. Dummies driving too fast, and it's not a well used road either, maybe 60 cars/trucks, on a busy day, if that.
20230802_110423.jpg

20230802_110446.jpg