SVL 75-2 loosing power

Kevin11mic

Equipment
SVL 75 and M5040
Aug 3, 2022
Texas
2020 SVL 75-2 loosing power. When you first crank it cold it has full power and runs smooth. As you work the machine for about 10minutes it will start to slow down. It will get to a point where it will barely turn with a loaded bucket. The engine starts to sound like it’s missing or chugging. If you let it rest at idle for about 5 minutes the idle will smooth out and you can get about another 5 minutes at full power before it starts dragging again. We have checked all the fuel lines. The lift pump seems to be functioning. Cleaned out the 90s on the water separator. New fuel filters. Tried to loosen the fuel cap when it starts slowing down to see if it was a vent issue. Nothing has worked. Any last ditch simple checks before I haul it to the stealership? Should still be under warranty but I like to rule out the Maintenance items firsts before it has to sit up there for weeks on end.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Replace the fuel filter.

also, does your separator fuel level drop when the engine starts losing power? If it does, there's a possibility that you have a restriction either in the separator inlet, or somewhere between the separator and the tank. More likely at the inlet.

Kevin11mic

Equipment
SVL 75 and M5040
Aug 3, 2022
Texas
Replace the fuel filter.

also, does your separator fuel level drop when the engine starts losing power? If it does, there's a possibility that you have a restriction either in the separator inlet, or somewhere between the separator and the tank. More likely at the inlet.
I’ve been through the fuel system multiple times. Filters changed. After more research it sounds like these have common injector issues. We will see what the dealer says.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Your low power problem is probably because of injector failure. This warranty repair is covered for 5 years after the original purchase.
If you have non-Kubota fuel filters on this unit, change them before you take it to the Dealer as Kubota will request pictures. Few if any "It screws on" cans meet the 4-micron specs Kubota uses. If it has a filter that does not meet Kubotas specs, the warranty will be denied on the fuel system.
If your unit does not have the newest water separator and fuel filter, that is to be upgraded as part of the warranty repair. The filters are a separate bulletin, PSB-2019-053

PSB-2021-008-E-R1
January 11, 2021
FIX AS FAIL: SSV/SVL/R/KX/U-Series; Countermeasure for Defective Fuel Injector Repairs described in this bulletin may be made only in the event of a failure.

R1 Revision: updated serial number range.
Model Serial Numbers SVL75-2 20001 to 53268
Issue: There is a possibility that engine power may drop at operating temperature. The nozzle body may not open/close due to an internal failure of the injector. (Other than contamination in fuel) Solution: If the machine experiences power drops at operating temperature, perform an Active test per the active test procedure and replace all four injectors with the improved injectors per the workshop manual. The internal parts of the improved injectors have been changed to prevent this failure.

Note: Be sure when replacing the injector to correct the injector compensation codes.

Reactions: 2 users

GWK33

Equipment
SVL75-2
Jun 6, 2024
I have the exact same symptom with my 2020 SVL 75-2. Just took it back to dealer as the warranty expires in 2025. They run some type of balancing test. Engine performance data is measured at ambient temperature and when engine reaches a certain temp. They sent data back to Kubota and confirmed one of the injectors is not meeting specs. New injectors are being installed. All work covered by warranty. I own other Kubota equipment. First engine issue I encountered.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I bet it's the injectors I had mine replaced because it was acting the same way and the dealer updated the software at the same time it was covered under a extended Kubota warranty because my machine was out of warranty by a few months. Mine has been running great ever since the new injectors were put in.

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
You most likely have an issue with your head bolts not torque to spec, normally its 3-4 they forgot to torque down. You can confirm this by running on high speed (engine) and using pressure relief, holding it for a going 12-15 mins on and off

Before doing this test, check your overflow and make sure its the the level mark...

If its full to the rim than you already know thats your issue and don't have to proform the test.

Thats where I would start

Some of these unit also has issues with injectors based off serial number

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You most likely have an issue with your head bolts not torque to spec, normally its 3-4 they forgot to torque down. You can confirm this by running on high speed (engine) and using pressure relief, holding it for a going 12-15 mins on and off
Do you not think if there were a problem with the head bolts not being properly torqued Kubota would not have issued a PSB, MSC, or TSB concerning the problem?

Reread post #9, the problem has been diagnosed. His problem is the injectors as per PSB-2021-008.
Using Diagmaster the injectors are shut down one at a time with the engine at low idle. The 8 tests are performed with the engine coolant below 140 deg and again at over 140 deg.

It is very easily determined if an injector is failing when replaying the Data Monitor of each injector comparing below 140 deg to above 140 deg graphs.

Reactions: 1 user

TECH101

Equipment
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
Do you not think if there were a problem with the head bolts not being properly torqued Kubota would not have issued a PSB, MSC, or TSB concerning the problem?

Reread post #9, the problem has been diagnosed. His problem is the injectors as per PSB-2021-008.
Using Diagmaster the injectors are shut down one at a time with the engine at low idle. The 8 tests are performed with the engine coolant below 140 deg and again at over 140 deg.

It is very easily determined if an injector is failing when replaying the Data Monitor of each injector comparing below 140 deg to above 140 deg graphs.

TECH101

Equipment
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
👍 Apparently you have way more knowledge than me.