Build My Kubota - Mounting Base with Valve Kits - MX5400 - Question please help????

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
I'm trying to put together a MX5400 using the Build My Kubota and I have a question regarding the Hydraulics/Hitch/Drawbar section under the Chose Options tab. Below are the choices you can make. Is the 4th choice different than a "Third Function Valve Kit"???? The reason I ask is that I want to buy a grapple for this unit and was told that I would need to have a Third Function Valve to run the grapple. If that #4 is not for a grapple what exactly is it used for?

Mounting Base with Valve Kits
1. None
2. 1ST POSITION LEVER KIT (MX6881 & L8303)
3. PLUS 2ND POSITION VALVE KIT (MX6881 & MX6882 & L8303)
4. PLUS 3RD POSITION VALVE KIT (MX6881 & MX6882 & MX6883 & L8303(2))

And if you chose #4 it adds the following in the list of options to you tractor
1 1ST POS LEVER KIT MX5400/MX6000 ROPS
(MX6881)
1 2ND POS LEVER KIT MX5400/MX6000 ROPS
(MX6882)
1 3RD POS LEVER KIT MX5400/MX6000 ROPS
(MX6883)
2 DOUBLE ACTING VALVE
(L8303)

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
5EED9323-F7C8-4AC3-A607-BAE1D5BA2AC1.jpeg
5042648B-87F0-435C-AB20-0915051D5EE1.jpeg

These are on my 6000. The 5400will be the same unless you are looking at a cab. The levers would be different.

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
View attachment 77489 View attachment 77490
These are on my 6000. The 5400will be the same unless you are looking at a cab. The levers would be different.
OK I got it...so I will still need to install a Third Function Valve after I get the tractor to use a grapple. The website doesn't have a Third Function Valve as an option on the build.

So what sort of attachments/implements do you use the rear remotes for on your 6000? And thanks for the quick anwers

Last edited:

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
OK I got it...so I will still need to install a Third Function Valve after I get the tractor to use a grapple. The website doesn't have a Third Function Valve as an option on the build.

So what sort of attachments/implements do you use the rear remotes for on your 6000? And thanks for the quick anwers
Yes, you or the dealer can install the 3rd function. It is very simple. I have done 2 so far. One on my LX and on the MX.

Top and tilt mostly. But there are many uses for rear remotes. Bat wing mowers, hydraulic rippers on a box blade, some hay tools have cylinders that need them, tons of others that I am forgetting/don’t know about.
6953BF10-8636-46EC-B1B6-261A31F69286.jpeg
E1D1BCE8-78B4-48BE-AB38-77C76464E8A3.jpeg

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
Thanks again you have no idea how much my head hurts as I spent way too much time trying to google this stuff and couldn't 100% get the answer.

Now I'm on the right track! but on to the next question....

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Thanks again you have no idea how much my head hurts as I spent way too much time trying to google this stuff and couldn't 100% get the answer.

Now I'm on the right track! but on to the next question....
Lol no worries! Fire away!

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
Lol no worries! Fire away!
I see you have wheel weights on the back of yours. Is that just for traction or does it help with stability or both? My property has a lot of woods and is very hilly in certain spots. Since I'm new to this it will take me a long time to get comfortable going up or down some of them.

Also how do you really know if you should add weight to the front or back?

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I see you have wheel weights on the back of yours. Is that just for traction or does it help with stability or both? My property has a lot of woods and is very hilly in certain spots. Since I'm new to this it will take me a long time to get comfortable going up or down some of them.

Also how do you really know if you should add weight to the front or back?
I think it helps with both. I just got the wheel weights a few weeks ago and widened the wheels to their almost widest setting. Completely changed how the tractor feels with my seat of pants meter. Rear tires are filled also. Now the tractor is just THERE with whatever you pickup. These loaders will pickup a lot of weight, you’ve got to have ballast to do it safely. I also have a ballast box I need to fill once I start working in my woods that are hilly.

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
I think it helps with both. I just got the wheel weights a few weeks ago and widened the wheels to their almost widest setting. Completely changed how the tractor feels with my seat of pants meter. Rear tires are filled also. Now the tractor is just THERE with whatever you pickup. These loaders will pickup a lot of weight, you’ve got to have ballast to do it safely. I also have a ballast box I need to fill once I start working in my woods that are hilly.
OK I thought about investigating a ballast box too so glad you brought it up. And I already forgot about fluid in the tires. I was going to ask my dealer about that.

Most of the hills I will go up or down it's usually a straight shot and not where the tractor is also sideways which I think should be a tiny bit more safe. God I hope

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
OK I thought about investigating a ballast box too so glad you brought it up. And I already forgot about fluid in the tires. I was going to ask my dealer about that.

Most of the hills I will go up or down it's usually a straight shot and not where the tractor is also sideways which I think should be a tiny bit more safe. God I hope
A good heavy implement(box blade, cutter) will do too, but the ballast box is a bit more compact, if that is a concern. If they are a good dealer, they won’t let a tractor with FEL that size leave their lot without fluid in the tires. If you can swing it, add the weights and remotes in one go. The labor will be cheaper as it can be installed while tractor is being assembled.

Straight up and down is recommended on steep hills. Loader low and in 4wd. You’ll get the feel for it. I have a few hills I go up, down, sideways and backwards. And some I creep straight up and down.

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
What type of jobs are you planning to do with the tractor? The MX is a beast. I had an LX for about a year till I realized it wasn’t enough and would get tore up doing what I needed. Still a great tractor though, loved it.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Yes, you or the dealer can install the 3rd function. It is very simple. I have done 2 so far. One on my LX and on the MX.

Top and tilt mostly. But there are many uses for rear remotes. Bat wing mowers, hydraulic rippers on a box blade, some hay tools have cylinders that need them, tons of others that I am forgetting/don’t know about.
View attachment 77491 View attachment 77492
I have a quick question, where did you get those quick attach Ratt adapters ? they look sweet.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I have a quick question, where did you get those quick attach Ratt adapters ? they look sweet.
Meant Pats...sorry. Just googled them. Thanks

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
If you mean the lower links, they are Pats easy change. Those with the euro ball top hydraulic link is my version of a quick hitch, with room to actually install the PTO.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
If you mean the lower links, they are Pats easy change. Those with the euro ball top hydraulic link is my version of a quick hitch, with room to actually install the PTO.
I like it. Ordered set of lowers just now online. The typical units for quick hitch seem to me would change pto shaft lengths.
Never saw this option before. Thanks 😊

Reactions: 1 user

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
What type of jobs are you planning to do with the tractor? The MX is a beast. I had an LX for about a year till I realized it wasn’t enough and would get tore up doing what I needed. Still a great tractor though, loved it.
Yeah I toyed with a L3901 then a L4701 then settled on the MX5400. It's probably more than I need but I like the heavy duty loader on front. So I'll use it around our farm to do some mowing in between crop fields. Then if I can I want to try and use it to maintain the trails in my timber. Won't get to all of them but hopefully some. Also I want a grapple to help move around tree branches etc. Then we have a decent size gravel driveway that I'm sure a box blade will come in handy. And finally I have a few food plots one of them just over 2 acres and so I'm hoping to plant it with this tractor and not my small equipment. It's just if I can get up a small but kind of steep section of a hill with a planter on the back. I may try backing up it instead of going forward.

Last edited:

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
A good heavy implement(box blade, cutter) will do too, but the ballast box is a bit more compact, if that is a concern. If they are a good dealer, they won’t let a tractor with FEL that size leave their lot without fluid in the tires. If you can swing it, add the weights and remotes in one go. The labor will be cheaper as it can be installed while tractor is being assembled.

Straight up and down is recommended on steep hills. Loader low and in 4wd. You’ll get the feel for it. I have a few hills I go up, down, sideways and backwards. And some I creep straight up and down.
Yeah I thought about that as well in terms of adding stuff. I plan on keeping track of timing best I can and while it's still at the dealer have them add the third function value and the tire fluid/weights. When I get it I don't want to have to turn right around and bring it back for these extras. I'm going to make sure the dealer knows that upfront although with these long delivery times chances are they won't remember.

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Yeah I toyed with a L3901 then a L4701 then settled on the MX5400. It's probably more than I need but I like the heavy duty loader on front. So I'll use it around our farm to do some mowing in between crop fields. Then if I can I want to try and use it to maintain the trails in my timber. Won't get to all of them but hopefully some. Also I want a grapple to help move around tree branches etc. Then we have a decent size gravel driveway that I'm sure a box blade will come in handy. And finally I have a few food plots one of them just over 2 acres and so I'm hoping to plant it with this tractor and not my small equipment. It's just if I can get up a small but kind of steep section of a hill with a planter on the back. I may try backing up it instead of going forward.
I wouldn’t call it settling... Seems like you have done some homework. Lol.

Go ahead and order a wicked 60 now. As they are about 5 months out. My most used attachment.
195C5D86-D076-435F-94E7-59593CE85054.jpeg

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Yeah I thought about that as well in terms of adding stuff. I plan on keeping track of timing best I can and while it's still at the dealer have them add the third function value and the tire fluid/weights. When I get it I don't want to have to turn right around and bring it back for these extras. I'm going to make sure the dealer knows that upfront although with these long delivery times chances are they won't remember.
Matt is correct, a good dealer will help you with wheel weights / fluid. Your thinking sounds like mine. I was looking at lx series then bought the Grand l4060 for same reasons. I have much smaller property but a lot of woods. The MX are awesome to i hear.
You made a great choice.congrats !!