Safety switch/wiring issue

Moterin

Equipment
ZG124E
May 2, 2021
Louisiana
Good afternoon, I have a 2014ish ZG124E zero turn that I had to replace the motor on. I put a new 25 hp Briggs and I can not get it to start with the key. I can jump the solenoid with a screw driver and it will run and drive but the blades will not turn on. 1 thing I noticed is the old motor had an oil sensor and the new one doesn’t so the plug from the mower has an open pin from the plug from the motor. There is a red jumper wire going to an open pin on the mower side but not sure if I can just move that one with out shorting something out. 2 other things I had trouble checking was the seat switch and brake switch. The seat switch wasn’t checking out right and the brake switch is a pain to get to but I was hoping you could let me know if the plug was an issue before chasing down the other 2 issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Until you check and verify the proper functioning of the seat, brake switch and motion levers you are wasting your time.

Study this wiring diagram and see how they are all linked.

forum ZG wiring.jpg

Dave

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
what a wiring nightmare....
(5) starter relay, (9) starter relay,..great TWO relays...SAME name...and then (16)starter solenoid.. which is also a relay.......thens there's at least FOUR switches that'll keep the elctrons from the starter......

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
what a wiring nightmare....
(5) starter relay, (9) starter relay,..great TWO relays...SAME name...and then (16)starter solenoid.. which is also a relay.......thens there's at least FOUR switches that'll keep the elctrons from the starter......
Well... ACTUALLY... they have three DIFFERENT names: 会意字

Reactions: 1 user

Moterin

Equipment
ZG124E
May 2, 2021
Louisiana
Wiring nightmare indeed. Was just curious if the blue and white wire coming from the mower on the plug needed to be tied into the plug on the new motor.
CB8B68D8-3ED0-4DAF-8E98-56B8BBF7EA4F.jpeg
1BF1F827-56E2-46C4-811C-13DFFD18C6A8.jpeg

Moterin

Equipment
ZG124E
May 2, 2021
Louisiana
The only anomaly is this plug since putting on the new motor and it turned over 2 months ago with the old motor.

Moterin

Equipment
ZG124E
May 2, 2021
Louisiana
Well appreciate the help but I can’t follow that diagram lol. I guess I’ll be bringing it to the local shop. Was hoping someone on here had replaced the motor and ran into a similar issue but guess not. Thanks.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
In That second pic... the new plug appears to incorporate a fusible-link (see the short red wire which loops around and back into its’ own plug?).

Moterin

Equipment
ZG124E
May 2, 2021
Louisiana
Yes, that’s correct. The old plug from the old motor has the same thing. The o
019960F8-4F78-4594-A22F-62967177CA89.jpeg
nly difference is the oil sensor wire. Aka the green wire.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If Briggs has followed their wiring from years past.. the motor grey will be the fuel solenoid(needs +12 to energize), the blk the magneto(needs to be grounded to kill engine) and the red ( 2 in this case) will be regulator power. easy to confirm at the B&S website or google , whatever moadel the engine is. I belive the blue/white from the mower is the hour meter grd leg... it'd go to the oil pressure sensor of the engine.To know this for sure, you just need to trace the wires, making note of colour changes at connectors.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I do not think the red wire loop is a fusible link for a couple of reasons. First RED in the fusible link world is 50 amps. The max slow blow or link for this machine is 30 amps. which is GREEN. Having a fusible link incorporated into the machine in a way it is not readily replaceable would not be a Kubota design practice.

The Blue wire with the white stripe is shown on the machine side of the harness connector to be tied into the low oil pressure switch on the engine side of the connector.

Right now if I understand things, the key cannot make the engine crank.

The blue with white stripe wire goes to the ignition switch and also a relay. I have not figured this out yet and the WSM does not mention a low oil pressure shut down feature but I think there was such a feature with the old motor.

There has to be a way for the engine to start with no oil pressure and then shut down if the oil pressure does not rise very quickly.

I am thinking the low oil pressure logic needs a ground on the blue and white wire when the key is turned to start.. As soon as the key is released back to ON the oil pressure ground must disappear or the engine stops.

Make up a simple wire with a 3 amp fuse and connect it to the blue and white wire on one end and to ground on the other end. Now turn the key and see if the engine cranks. it it does crank, the moment the engine fires break the temporary ground and see if the engine continues to run. I am suggesting the small fuse just in case I have things wrong and the fuse will blow and save the wires.

If you do this simple test and report back there is hope this can be solved.

Dave

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the oil pressure switch is used to run the hourmeter. That is it's only use on the ZG124E and Z125E. Usually had to depin the connector and move a wire to make the hourmeter work. Briggs sent the engine with incorrect wiring at the engine connector.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
the oil pressure switch is used to run the hourmeter. That is it's only use on the ZG124E and Z125E. Usually had to depin the connector and move a wire to make the hourmeter work. Briggs sent the engine with incorrect wiring at the engine connector.

Lugbolt,

I learned something new from your post i.e. the use of the oil switch by the hour meter. Non Kubota machines I have owned would run up excessive hours every time I ran out of fuel.

If I completely understand your post, there is no connection with the NO CRANK and the unconnected wire?

Dave

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
PSB-2015-042: Service Parts Replacement Engine Differences (Briggs & Stratton); Z-Series
Document ID BU451
Status Published
Published Date 12/18/2019

Title
PSB-2015-042: Service Parts Replacement Engine Differences (Briggs & Stratton); Z-Series
Bulletin Type
Information
Product Line
Z-Series
Models
ZG124E, ZG127E, Z122EBR, Z125EBR Affected Repl. Engine Part Numbers: Part Number Description E7178-11000 Repl. Engine, 25HP Cyclonic Filter E7181-11000 Repl. Engine, 22HP Cyclonic Filter
Issue
Briggs & Stratton engines supplied through the parts department are not a direct replacement. The top no-load engine speeds differ and the following components are not included. Oil pressure switch (Hour meter will not function without an oil pressure switch) Correct engine wiring harness (to operate oil pressure switch) Oil drain pipe/hose
Solution
Solution:
Remove and reuse the necessary components. If original parts are damaged or of suspect condition, order and install new components as needed. Once the engine is installed and running set-top no-load speed to the specification of 3600rpms.
Parts Information:
No code has to be inserted here.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Z-Series; Starting System Troubleshooting (ZG100 & Z100) This bulletin contains general information to assist you if repairs should become necessary as per the subject. Product Line: Z-Series Model: ZG123S, ZG124E, ZG127E/S, Z121SKH, Z122EBR, Z125EBR, Z125SKH Issue: Unit will not operate the Starter Motor (“Engine not cranking over”). Starter Motor has been verified fine via testing or voltage is applied directly to it. Solution: Reference the following troubleshooting information to help systematically guide you through the OPC/Start circuit and identify the fault.

Attachments