Kubota M4500DT pics and where to source parts

Deep Tillage

Equipment
M4500DT
Feb 19, 2021
California
I bought a new-to-me Kubota M4500DT. The intention of this post is to show pictures (because most like to see pictures) and some insight where to source difficult to find parts for this model. I wanted to get everything working again (lights, gauges, etc.) but I wasn’t going to spend a fortune to find OEM parts. So this is a bit of a budget build with a lot of parts I had around. I’ve attached a table with details where to find these parts. Sorry if this writeup got lengthy but I wanted to keep it detailed enough that maybe someone else can make use of all the time I put into this tractor. Here's the table of mostly aftermarket parts I used.
Part sources.PNG

The tractor was complete but the sheet metal on the front was very rough shape. A previous operator must've ran it into something and then worse, welded it all together just to stay put. Because the front sheet metal was dented in so bad, there was no room for the air cleaner so someone punched a hole in the side panel and ran it out the side. As you’ll see in the pictures, I ended up replacing the original grill and built my own. It’s not perfect but it’s better shape than the dented and welded up one.

I adjusted the rocker arm-valve clearances, changed all the fluids (I typically usual manufacturer fluid when it comes to hyd/trans), filters, hoses, etc. The wiring was completely gutted and just the basic wires to start the tractor were pretty much there. I also replaced the glow plugs.

So then there was the wiring project. I bought a multipurpose fuse block which used the blade fuses- a block like you’d typically see in a boat. I bought a general purpose flasher for the hazard lights and a voltage regulator compatible with the alternator. These 3 components were bolted to the firewall between the engine and fuel tank as shown in the picture.
IMG_7875.JPG

I found a new alternator for this model along with a 3-terminal connector to plug into the alternator. After a bunch of research to figure out the wiring diagram for the regulator, I was able to wire that to the alternator to the Amps idiot light.

On the dash, the tach, water temperature, and a broken oil pressure gauge (in place of the fuel gauge) were there but nothing was wired of course. I replaced the broken oil pressure gauge with a new one and found new dash lights on Amazon for all 3 gauges. I then proceeded with running the wires from the fuse box to the dash as shown in the attached picture. I also replaced the heavily corroded idiot lights and sockets.
IMG_7956.JPG

Instead of buying a $70 Kubota start/glow plug switch, I bought a general purpose key switch with a position for glow plugs. One item I could not find was a 40A glow plug indicator for Kubota. There are a ton of 20A ones out there that fit in the cutout in the dash. So what I did was use one of these 20A indicators, remove the filament wire, and replace with a 40A glow plug indicator strip (you can find off Amazon or Ebay for like $8).

Another challenging simple item for this model was a tach cable. I could find a bunch of Kubota ones but were all too short. I believe one end is M10 and other is M11 threads. So what I ended up doing was buying 2 of the shorter Kubota cables and joining together with a coupler as shown in the picture. Wasn’t as clean as a single cable but at least I have a functioning tach.
3.JPG

I replaced the power steering hoses and auxiliary hydraulic hoses by getting ones built at Discount Hydraulic Hose for about $22 each including the fittings. The fittings on the end are NPT (swivel on one end and straight on other).
IMG_7954.JPG

The PTO seal was leaking. I could not find the replacement Kubota one for the life of me. I even tried cross referencing from SKF and Timken but wouldn’t cross reference. Finally I went old school and obtained the metric measurements of the existing one with calipers. After buying about 5 seals of various sizes, I found out the size that worked was 38mm x 58mm x 10mm (or 8mm width). Attached is a picture of one from SKF.

Also if you need replacement lug nuts, you can find Dorman ones (M16x1.5). See the table for the source.

The 3 point linkages were removed before I bought the tractor. I ended up building/buying my own. The tractor is ~50hp so I didn’t want to limit it with the category 1 lift arms that came with the tractor. So what I did was buy a pair of category 1 rod ends to weld to the tractor side of the lift arms. Then I bought a pair of category 2 rod ends to weld to the implement side. I have a small 3 point cultivator with category 2 pins so this allows me to use this Kubota with the cultivator if desired. I bought the leveling arms off Ebay new. The lift arms were obtained from a local metal shop (1” x 3” bar).

I’m sure I left out other details of work I did but I’m going to wrap it up there. Here are some additional shots, along with one next to my IH 784.
IMG_7946.JPG

IMG_7948.JPG
IMG_7951.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sweet! Looks like your time and research paid off. Like the custom badging on the grille. I’m sure Merle would be pleased.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Give Rock Auto a look...

Shipping costs can be a pain, and navigating the site a worse pain...

Some parts have no listing, just search for the part number....

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Brush Hog; Mahindra 5005/Loader, Woods Cadet 84,
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Looks great! I'm currently working on a M4050 and like what you did with the wiring and appreciate the spreadsheet. A couple questions for you: 1) How was installation and removal of the front glow plug? What did you have to remove from the fuel system? 2) Did you replace the gasket & O ring on the Hydraulic filter when you cleaned/changed the filter and fluid? Messick's says the gasket is NLA. 3) How is starting? I haven't changed my GP's yet, and only 1 is out of spec, but I hit the GP's for about 30-60 seconds and then the starter. It works its way up and catches after a some revolutions. Just wondering if that is just the nature of the beast (S2600)?

Also - Any info on seals/rebuild of the power steering cylinder?

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Thanks for the write-up. Interesting to see what people are doing with these older machines, and the numbers may come in handy.

Deep Tillage

Equipment
M4500DT
Feb 19, 2021
California
Looks great! I'm currently working on a M4050 and like what you did with the wiring and appreciate the spreadsheet. A couple questions for you: 1) How was installation and removal of the front glow plug? What did you have to remove from the fuel system? 2) Did you replace the gasket & O ring on the Hydraulic filter when you cleaned/changed the filter and fluid? Messick's says the gasket is NLA. 3) How is starting? I haven't changed my GP's yet, and only 1 is out of spec, but I hit the GP's for about 30-60 seconds and then the starter. It works its way up and catches after a some revolutions. Just wondering if that is just the nature of the beast (S2600)?

Also - Any info on seals/rebuild of the power steering cylinder?
Here are some responses to your questions:

1) How was installation and removal of the front glow plug? What did you have to remove from the fuel system? I assume you mean cylinder 1 (at front of tractor). This is the only one I have not changed yet. Looks like I'd need to remove the holder from the fuel pump and a few injector lines to get at it.

2) Did you replace the gasket & O ring on the Hydraulic filter when you cleaned/changed the filter and fluid? Messick's says the gasket is NLA. I changed the big O-ring for the hydraulic filter bottom cover. I reused the thick gasket that goes on top of the filter. This is just thick foam or soft rubber that could be replaced easily by buying a small sheet of oil compatible closed cell foam from McMaster and cutting to create your own.

3) How is starting? I haven't changed my GP's yet, and only 1 is out of spec, but I hit the GP's for about 30-60 seconds and then the starter. It works its way up and catches after a some revolutions. Just wondering if that is just the nature of the beast (S2600)? Replace at least all 5 GPs you can access easily. Don't trust the resistance measurements. My M4500 was hard starting. I measured the Ohms on all 6 and only 1 was out of spec (about 6 Ohms). I replaced 5 and found 2 had large bulges on the heating element. After replacing these, the tractor starts up much faster. I warm up the glow plugs for about 40sec if the tractor is cold.

Also - Any info on seals/rebuild of the power steering cylinder? I have not touched the steering cylinder yet and as you have probably found, Messicks doesn't have any details on the part numbers for the seals. If yours is leaking bad, I would take it apart and look for numbers on the seals. If you can't find numbers to cross reference, measure the ID, OD, and width of each. Then go to SKF's website and you can look up seals based on sizes. I'm sure the dimensions will be metric whole numbers (no decimals).

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Brush Hog; Mahindra 5005/Loader, Woods Cadet 84,
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
DT - Thank you! Very helpful info.(y) After this season, I plan on attacking my electrical system much like you did.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What size tires front and rear do you have on it?
Something looks way off with it?

sanjeevtyagi

Equipment
M4500DT
Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
I bought a new-to-me Kubota M4500DT. The intention of this post is to show pictures (because most like to see pictures) and some insight where to source difficult to find parts for this model. I wanted to get everything working again (lights, gauges, etc.) but I wasn’t going to spend a fortune to find OEM parts. So this is a bit of a budget build with a lot of parts I had around. I’ve attached a table with details where to find these parts. Sorry if this writeup got lengthy but I wanted to keep it detailed enough that maybe someone else can make use of all the time I put into this tractor. Here's the table of mostly aftermarket parts I used.
View attachment 57241

The tractor was complete but the sheet metal on the front was very rough shape. A previous operator must've ran it into something and then worse, welded it all together just to stay put. Because the front sheet metal was dented in so bad, there was no room for the air cleaner so someone punched a hole in the side panel and ran it out the side. As you’ll see in the pictures, I ended up replacing the original grill and built my own. It’s not perfect but it’s better shape than the dented and welded up one.

I adjusted the rocker arm-valve clearances, changed all the fluids (I typically usual manufacturer fluid when it comes to hyd/trans), filters, hoses, etc. The wiring was completely gutted and just the basic wires to start the tractor were pretty much there. I also replaced the glow plugs.

So then there was the wiring project. I bought a multipurpose fuse block which used the blade fuses- a block like you’d typically see in a boat. I bought a general purpose flasher for the hazard lights and a voltage regulator compatible with the alternator. These 3 components were bolted to the firewall between the engine and fuel tank as shown in the picture.
View attachment 57234

I found a new alternator for this model along with a 3-terminal connector to plug into the alternator. After a bunch of research to figure out the wiring diagram for the regulator, I was able to wire that to the alternator to the Amps idiot light.

On the dash, the tach, water temperature, and a broken oil pressure gauge (in place of the fuel gauge) were there but nothing was wired of course. I replaced the broken oil pressure gauge with a new one and found new dash lights on Amazon for all 3 gauges. I then proceeded with running the wires from the fuse box to the dash as shown in the attached picture. I also replaced the heavily corroded idiot lights and sockets.
View attachment 57235

Instead of buying a $70 Kubota start/glow plug switch, I bought a general purpose key switch with a position for glow plugs. One item I could not find was a 40A glow plug indicator for Kubota. There are a ton of 20A ones out there that fit in the cutout in the dash. So what I did was use one of these 20A indicators, remove the filament wire, and replace with a 40A glow plug indicator strip (you can find off Amazon or Ebay for like $8).

Another challenging simple item for this model was a tach cable. I could find a bunch of Kubota ones but were all too short. I believe one end is M10 and other is M11 threads. So what I ended up doing was buying 2 of the shorter Kubota cables and joining together with a coupler as shown in the picture. Wasn’t as clean as a single cable but at least I have a functioning tach.
View attachment 57236

I replaced the power steering hoses and auxiliary hydraulic hoses by getting ones built at Discount Hydraulic Hose for about $22 each including the fittings. The fittings on the end are NPT (swivel on one end and straight on other).
View attachment 57237

The PTO seal was leaking. I could not find the replacement Kubota one for the life of me. I even tried cross referencing from SKF and Timken but wouldn’t cross reference. Finally I went old school and obtained the metric measurements of the existing one with calipers. After buying about 5 seals of various sizes, I found out the size that worked was 38mm x 58mm x 10mm (or 8mm width). Attached is a picture of one from SKF.

Also if you need replacement lug nuts, you can find Dorman ones (M16x1.5). See the table for the source.

The 3 point linkages were removed before I bought the tractor. I ended up building/buying my own. The tractor is ~50hp so I didn’t want to limit it with the category 1 lift arms that came with the tractor. So what I did was buy a pair of category 1 rod ends to weld to the tractor side of the lift arms. Then I bought a pair of category 2 rod ends to weld to the implement side. I have a small 3 point cultivator with category 2 pins so this allows me to use this Kubota with the cultivator if desired. I bought the leveling arms off Ebay new. The lift arms were obtained from a local metal shop (1” x 3” bar).

I’m sure I left out other details of work I did but I’m going to wrap it up there. Here are some additional shots, along with one next to my IH 784.
View attachment 57238
View attachment 57239 View attachment 57240
You are amazing with your patience and attention to detail, i love the Kubota that you brought back to life , i have a used Kubota M4500DT that i got at a good price and now trying to overhaul it myself, i have ordered all the oils and some aftermarket parts , it blows some smoke in the blowby breather tube but i will check it after all oil and filter changes. May i ask where do you have oil top up for power steering or does it use the hydraulic oil from the tractor itself ? Also for oil changes would you suggest a complete flush with a diesel flushing agent or just drain and put the new oil ?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
You are amazing with your patience and attention to detail, i love the Kubota that you brought back to life , i have a used Kubota M4500DT that i got at a good price and now trying to overhaul it myself, i have ordered all the oils and some aftermarket parts , it blows some smoke in the blowby breather tube but i will check it after all oil and filter changes. May i ask where do you have oil top up for power steering or does it use the hydraulic oil from the tractor itself ? Also for oil changes would you suggest a complete flush with a diesel flushing agent or just drain and put the new oil ?
Welcome to the forum sanjeevtyagi.
Power steering uses oil from a cylindrical tank normally mounted above the exhaust manifold.
Blowing smoke from the breather tube doesn't sound good and I don't know much about flushing with diesel flushing agent - others on this forum will be better placed to offer good opinions.
Do you have the parts, service and operators manuals? If you don't then PM me.
Good luck
John

sanjeevtyagi

Equipment
M4500DT
Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
Welcome to the forum sanjeevtyagi.
Power steering uses oil from a cylindrical tank normally mounted above the exhaust manifold.
Blowing smoke from the breather tube doesn't sound good and I don't know much about flushing with diesel flushing agent - others on this forum will be better placed to offer good opinions.
Do you have the parts, service and operators manuals? If you don't then PM me.
Good luck
John
Thanks John I have the manuals for it and in the process of doing complete oil changes for Engine , Transmission + Hydraulics , Hydraulics on Loader and Hydraulics on Rototiller ( Krone RES-125) .
I located power steering group in manuals as you suggested but the manual doesnt have any guidance on how much fluid and what type of fluid it takes.

Also i have 2 other questions
1. Front axle gear oil , where is the tank located for that pouring in the oil
2. Where is the air filter located for it to be checked and changed.

You can refer me to the pages in manual if that makes it easy, sorry for being a noob in the tractor
world. I am just a new very new guy in the tractor world

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Thanks John I have the manuals for it and in the process of doing complete oil changes for Engine , Transmission + Hydraulics , Hydraulics on Loader and Hydraulics on Rototiller ( Krone RES-125) .
I located power steering group in manuals as you suggested but the manual doesnt have any guidance on how much fluid and what type of fluid it takes.

Also i have 2 other questions
1. Front axle gear oil , where is the tank located for that pouring in the oil
2. Where is the air filter located for it to be checked and changed.

You can refer me to the pages in manual if that makes it easy, sorry for being a noob in the tractor
world. I am just a new very new guy in the tractor world
Hi Sanjeevtyagi, we've all been there at some stage :) The correct manuals are clear about those questions, PM me with your email address. If your existing manuals don't have that info, chances are that there's a lot of other stuff missing from them.

sanjeevtyagi

Equipment
M4500DT
Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
could someone pls help to identify with a photo of their trator where is the oil filter 2 located in m4500dt , i have changed 3 filters on the right side of tractor which are 1.fuel filter 2.hydraulic oil filter(green color with a notch on top) 3.oil filter. Kubota in manuals mention oil filter 2 on left hand side of tractor which i cannot seem to find at all , could someone please clarify is there 1 transmission/hyrdraulic oile filter or two of them and i am still not able to find this 2nd filter mentioned in the manuals which only shows diagrams but no photos.

sanjeevtyagi

Equipment
M4500DT
Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
View attachment 57241

View attachment 57234

View attachment 57235

View attachment 57236

View attachment 57237

View attachment 57238
Did you happen to replace/clean the fuel injectors on m4500dt overhaul you did ? If so could you please send some guidance my way , i have changed the oils / filters and other required stuff and i am wondering the smoking issue could be injector based , would you have some knowledge if buying brand new OEM injectors would solve it or even after buying them new they need to be set to specification , please kindly help on this regard.

Levi Garrett

Equipment
Kubota M4500DT
Jun 25, 2024
East Texas
View attachment 57241

View attachment 57234

View attachment 57235

View attachment 57236

View attachment 57237

View attachment 57238
This is great! Any info on how to rebuild the front grill panel? Mine is all smashed to bits as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This is great! Any info on how to rebuild the front grill panel? Mine is all smashed to bits as well.
OP's last post was more than 6 weeks ago, but hopefully you will get a response.

Reactions: 1 user