hydraulic hose protectors with velcro

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Holey Moley! I'm in the process of replacing a backhoe hydraulic hose on a BX23. I had hoped to salvage
the hose protector sleeve by sliding it down in one piece and getting the faulty hose out without ruining the sleeve.
As with most of my repairs, it is not working as planned. :)

I've checked to get some of the sleeve with velcro but that stuff is quite expensive. Using zip ties around the old one if I cut it off would probably work.

Is there any way to get this sleeve off without losing my normal easy-going nature? I've tugged, pulled with pliers, everything and it doesn't seem to move much. There has to be a trick to this. Does anyone have the magic formula? If so, bottle it and I'll take some. Thanks for any help.

Tractor Gal

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
No solution for you... but to sleeve my latest project hoses .... (added rear hydraulics).... I cut the sleeves out of my oldest welding-jacket and used them as protectors and secured them with ty-wraps (cable-ties).
I see that Northern Tool sells welding-sleeves to protect ones’ arms while welding.... seems perfect to protect hoses. Welding-blanket from Horrible Freight also might be a good source of material.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
No solution for you... but to sleeve my latest project hoses .... (added rear hydraulics).... I cut the sleeves out of my oldest welding-jacket and used them as protectors and secured them with ty-wraps (cable-ties).
I see that Northern Tool sells welding-sleeves to protect ones’ arms while welding.... seems perfect to protect hoses. Welding-blanket from Horrible Freight also might be a good source of material.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am still mulling how to get this done. Removing that protective sleeve is quite a task. I didn't want to have to remove all of the hoses. I checked with North Idaho Wolfman about taking the pin out of the cylinder to get a bit more room but it didn't produce much additional space. Then, I tried removing the upper pin on that cylinder...shouldn't have done that! It was a bear to get that pin back in.

I always say, "others have done it, you can, too." That attitude continues to get me into some real spots. :) But, that's how I learn...the hard way. :)

Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

TG

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I simply slit the cover lengthwise then used tye-wraps to close it again. Works fine.

The primary purpose of those sleeves is not to protect the hoses.... it is to protect the operator from a hose which splits or ruptures under high-pressure... when it can whip, flail and and cause serious injury. The cover has a secondary function to prevent high-pressure hydraulic fluid released in a “stream” from injecting the operator with fluid.

So it’s good to keep in mind that only the hoses near the operator station are likely needful of covers (such as near the FEL or joystick, etc.)

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I simply slit the cover lengthwise then used tye-wraps to close it again. Works fine.

The primary purpose of those sleeves is not to protect the hoses.... it is to protect the operator from a hose which splits or ruptures under high-pressure... when it can whip, flail and and cause serious injury. The cover has a secondary function to prevent high-pressure hydraulic fluid released in a “stream” from injecting the operator with fluid.

So it’s good to keep in mind that only the hoses near the operator station are likely needful of covers (such as near the FEL or joystick, etc.)
I hear what you are saying about slitting lengthwise. I saw a youtube demonstrating that. My problem is...how to get the cloth out and then back in! It is so crammed up and the space is so small.

As I looked at the bh, I saw two pins holding the cylinder. If those are removed and possibly as fitting removed from the cylinder, it would move enough to allow access. I spoke to Messick's about that process and they have confirmed that will work. The cylinder will not retract but stay the same length. Getting the pins back is a bit of a problem as I tried that yesterday but didn't remove any fittings.

From your experience, which one would seem "easier," even though I don't think easy fits here. :) At least, not for me. I'd appreciate your opinion if you have the time.

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Thanks for the link, Tom. It seems the largest ID they have is a little over 3". That would no be large enough. I did find that Messick's has the product but no velcro. All the hoses would have to be removed but at least if someone wanted to, they could do that. I am hoping to do otherwise!

I'm keeping the link you sent, though. You never know when something is needed. Thanks again.

TG

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Thanks for the link, Tom. It seems the largest ID they have is a little over 3". That would no be large enough. I did find that Messick's has the product but no velcro. All the hoses would have to be removed but at least if someone wanted to, they could do that. I am hoping to do otherwise!

I'm keeping the link you sent, though. You never know when something is needed. Thanks again.

TG
Give them a call, they will get what your looking for....

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Give them a call, they will get what your looking for....
Wow. Good to know. We'll see how it goes by removing the cylinder. I won't need a new protector if I can do it. I'll keep your suggestion in mind, for sure. Thanks again.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Not sure what size you need but hydraulicsdirect.com carries protective sleeves up to 3.66”ID
Regards

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Might search out a wire organizer for A/V use. I have one that is a black nylon mesh with a zipper down the side. Almost looks like a shedded snake skin.

Have seen some videos of folks making DIY protective looms from thin wall irrigation tubing and spiral cutting with a simple jig.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Not sure what size you need but hydraulicsdirect.com carries protective sleeves up to 3.66”ID
Regards
I'm not sure yet, Ping, but I think that covering needs to be wider than that. I'll check it out. Thank you.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Might search out a wire organizer for A/V use. I have one that is a black nylon mesh with a zipper down the side. Almost looks like a shedded snake skin.

Have seen some videos of folks making DIY protective looms from thin wall irrigation tubing and spiral cutting with a simple jig.
There's a lot of pressure when that boom cycles up and down. I have a feeling that a zipper would be crushed and possibly damage the hoses. Not a bad thought, though. Thanks.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
The sleeves with velcro or zippers is chafe protection for welding leads/LP gas hoses, I don't think it would hold up well on a tractor. I ordered this on Amazon, it is available in several sizes.

Hose protection

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
The sleeves with velcro or zippers is chafe protection for welding leads/LP gas hoses, I don't think it would hold up well on a tractor. I ordered this on Amazon, it is available in several sizes.

Hose protection
Computer went crazy; sorry if this didn't load right. Anyway, thanks for the link, GCMKCM. The hose protection you referened is only 1.59" diameter...far too small since the protection cover multiple hoses, not just one.

Fortunately, I don't need any new protection since by removing the pins for the hyd. cylinder, there is room to work with the current protector. You were kind to try to help.

TG

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Posting this for people searching on this thread title in the future. Using the link I posted above, I found several sizes ranging up to 3".

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa

If that is the true purpose then which is weaker, the zip tie or the cover?

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Amazon has the hose sleeve. Look for Apache. It is commonly sold for tig wands too.
Measure the width flat to get the size you need. I usually scissor cut and propane torch the end.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Is there any way to get this sleeve off without losing my normal easy-going nature? I've tugged, pulled with pliers, everything and it doesn't seem to move much. There has to be a trick to this. Does anyone have the magic formula? If so, bottle it and I'll take some. Thanks for any help.

Tractor Gal
The trick is to either embrace the skinned knuckles and have a few extra dollars in your pocket or hire someone to do it for you.

It always looks easier when someone else does it....especially if they are good at what they are doing.