M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
When I replaced my hose:
DSCN1191_28Small29.JPG

I used a connector....
DSCN1184_28Small29.JPG

I pulled the old hose out and the new hose in.

When I added hoses to my FEL thumb:
IMG_8774.JPG

I put both hoses in a new sleeve....
IMG_8775.JPG

And zip tied them to the existing hose bundle making a very neat installation.

Reactions: 1 user

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Holey Moley! I'm in the process of replacing a backhoe hydraulic hose on a BX23. I had hoped to salvage
the hose protector sleeve by sliding it down in one piece and getting the faulty hose out without ruining the sleeve.
As with most of my repairs, it is not working as planned. :)

I've checked to get some of the sleeve with velcro but that stuff is quite expensive. Using zip ties around the old one if I cut it off would probably work.

Is there any way to get this sleeve off without losing my normal easy-going nature? I've tugged, pulled with pliers, everything and it doesn't seem to move much. There has to be a trick to this. Does anyone have the magic formula? If so, bottle it and I'll take some. Thanks for any help.

Tractor Gal
Aside from my post about new sleeving, The sleeve is usually like a Chinese finger trap. If you pull from the end it gets tighter. If you push it actually loosens up

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If that is the true purpose then which is weaker, the zip tie or the cover?
Probably depends upon the quality and amount of zip-tie/velcro. The zip-ties bought in most hardware supplies by most home-owner/hobbyists are not the same quality as those used in aviation and similar use. The “tooth” in aviation zip-ties (my choice) are stainless steel and the nylon used is also mfr’d to a mil-spec. Those are extremely-strong and very difficult to break.
The more common-hardware/automotive zip-ties usually have plastic teeth and are not nearly as durable, and many of them simply cannot withstand sunlight/UV and will deteriorate quickly. The same may be true of cheap velcro. YMMV

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
The trick is to either embrace the skinned knuckles and have a few extra dollars in your pocket or hire someone to do it for you.

It always looks easier when someone else does it....especially if they are good at what they are doing.
Your theory is certainly correct. For some reason, I just can't quite get past the place of paying someone to do things! In years to come, that may change. And, those years will probably come sooner than expected!

TG

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you get a string fed down the inside and back up on the outside of the sleeve? Then pull both strings up and pull the sleeve up on the string? You may have to get two or three strings down to pull on?

May be able to use some stiff wire or long stick to feed through.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Can you get a string fed down the inside and back up on the outside of the sleeve? Then pull both strings up and pull the sleeve up on the string? You may have to get two or three strings down to pull on?

May be able to use some stiff wire or long stick to feed through.
That may be a workable solution, Russell. I've have found that removing the two pins holding the cylinder allows enough clearance so that the sleeve can be moved up or down with far less "tugging." I do not need to cut the sleeve or make any other adjustments.

I got the new hydraulic hose replacement and expect to be back up and running tomorrow. Plus, I learned a lot. No extra charge for that! Thanks for your suggestion.

TG

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Old post, I know. I have successfully used spiral wrap hose protectors. Easy to install, last forever, and protect the hoses better than the sleeve style, especially if you run more than one hose per sleeve. Also, a bit cheaper than the sleeve style.

Google 'spiral wrap hose protectors and then price shop.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Joisey, thanks for the suggestion. Where I think the problem exists for the BT600 is that the spiral protectors will add extra OD. There are 6 hoses in that small space, so every marginal addition complicates the issue. Probably one of the bigger issues is my inexperience with this kind of thing. Never had any hydraulics in the past and Kubota will not give any specs on the hoses and paying double (or more) for a hose is something I'm trying to avoid. Thanks again. I'll keep that in my for protection for the hoses that are single runs.

TG

Coastie_C

Equipment
Kubota M4-071 Deluxe, LA-1154 Loader, L-5030 and, ZD-1211
Mar 19, 2022
SE VA
I threaded my hydraulic lines through stainless steel mesh hose dress ups folks use on show cars. Got them from Amazon. My issue was critters eating on the hoses and a hidden was caused which cost me 2 gallons of UDT2 oil. Seems there is peanut oil in the rubber and they can smell it. Installed stainless steel mesh covers and no more problems.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Coastie_C, that's a good idea if there's room. These "critter" are something...they can find all kinds of things to destroy...or eat, as this case may be.

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Put the hose in it's own sleeve.

Dan
Unless I'm crazy...which I do not doubt...that is the problem. By the time you add the thickness of 6 individual sleeves, there would be no room for the hoses. Unless, of course, those sleeves are mighty thin.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Your theory is certainly correct. For some reason, I just can't quite get past the place of paying someone to do things! In years to come, that may change. And, those years will probably come sooner than expected!

TG
At 81, I am there,....... and though I can afford it, there certainly is mental pain involved with having to pay someone to do things that I WANT to do!