COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I was told our Gov has set up a tattletale line so if a business isn't doing as she commands call and she'll send out the heat and shut them down.
A great democratic society we live in.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I was told our Gov has set up a tattletale line so if a business isn't doing as she commands call and she'll send out the heat and shut them down.
A great democratic society we live in.
Would you want a restaurant shut down if the kitchen were full of cockroaches? Or more to the point, if you found a cockroach in your salad would you call the state health department so they could inspect the kitchen? Nothing should be done without due process, but that governor was elected democratically one would hope, and according to state law, at least in Michigan, has the power to enact quarantines and other matters of public health. When she is perceived to overstep those laws, she is taken to court.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The US has done the worst job of any country in the world at checking the spread of this virus largely because of the attitude that no one is going to tell ME what to do. With the virus well entrenched in the population, keeping it from infecting critical numbers of people providing food and infrastructure services is within our power if we choose to adopt protective behaviors. Social distancing, cleanliness, and everyone WEARING MASKS is cheap. Lockdown would not necessary if all citizens were to behave cautiously and considerately. But no, that is not happening. You can doubt the politics and even the science, but at least consider the idea that " just to be on the safe side ", and for the sake of my neighbor...... I hate the idea that all the sacrifices and the gains made by the lockdown are being flushed down the drain by all the people throwing caution to the wind and doing as they please.

Just to remind you of the degree to which widespread infection has the power to disrupt our life, it has been shown (paper published yesterday) that in mink farms in Holland, the virus spread from workers to the mink, and then back from the mink to people. They are depopulating those farms. Other animals being raised in high density factory farm conditions are candidates for this kind of problem. If you raise a species that is inside in poorly ventilated barns, now would be a dandy time for you to start wearing a mask to protect them if you don't already.

https://www.sciencemagazinedigital....11002&utm_content=gtxcel&pm=1&folio=1169#pg17

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sheepfarmer, I think a lot of the issue is trust. Americans don't trust the government. One party is saying one thing, the other party is bashing and saying something else. And we as a whole are stuck in the middle.

Add to that lack of trust, the number of Asymptomatic carriers. It's hard to believe someone has a virus when they aren't sick. So, then you question even more. You already don't know who to trust.

In the mean time, there is still a lack of solidarity in the government. More bashing between the parties. One party is saying the "expert" we are supposed to listen too for advice is a quack. You need to do this. No, you need to listen to the expert. Add in the mixed reporting. No this is BS. No they are wrong the info is legit. At some point in time you reach you breaking point and say "enough is enough". The people of this country have hit that point.

Adding in tattle tale lines to report on businesses and neighbors is just gonna add diesel to the fire.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I see the Covid cases are spiking up again. Not to be unexpected. No mitigation (masks, social distancing, preventive measures) on the part of the citizens will cause that.

Covid hasn't somehow varnished unlike people would like to assume it has. It's still there, has not left and is waiting to infect and kill.

With my wife and I, nothing has changed at all. We continue to practice any and all mitigation techniques.

Interestingly (not unexpected) the Covid cases are spiking in areas that 'opened up' and disreagarded the mitigation techniques.

Despite all the propaganda and fake news surrounding it, I foresee a large second wave of Covid, could actually be worse than the first wave.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheepfarmer, I think a lot of the issue is trust. Americans don't trust the government. One party is saying one thing, the other party is bashing and saying something else. And we as a whole are stuck in the middle.

Add to that lack of trust, the number of Asymptomatic carriers. It's hard to believe someone has a virus when they aren't sick. So, then you question even more. You already don't know who to trust.

In the mean time, there is still a lack of solidarity in the government. More bashing between the parties. One party is saying the "expert" we are supposed to listen too for advice is a quack. You need to do this. No, you need to listen to the expert. Add in the mixed reporting. No this is BS. No they are wrong the info is legit. At some point in time you reach you breaking point and say "enough is enough". The people of this country have hit that point.

Adding in tattle tale lines to report on businesses and neighbors is just gonna add diesel to the fire.
I hear you. I don't trust the government either. The references I do trust the most trace back to publications in journals that are longstanding refereed publications. "Science" cited above has been the most highly regarded US journal for over 100 years. I have subscribed since 1961. The viewpoint I pushed above is based on a lifetime of science, and makes sense to me given the behavior of other viruses.

I also don't like the sound of a tattle tale line, sounds like Hitler. Depends on how it really works, the devil is in the details. Better to deal with it directly if possible. Sigh. I think there is no hope. The country is going to go down the tubes while everyone argues.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's something I noticed today in town. Had a morning with just my grandson so I took him to the walking trail/ park in town. It's 4 miles of bike trail, as well as play grounds, tennis courts, basketball courts, and a bmx track.

While there I noticed that they locked down the public bathrooms to limit the spread of the virus. Or so the sign said on the doors.

I get that reasoning behind it. But why then would you drop off a porta potty for the public to use instead 🤪😜🤪😜🤪😜

At least the public bathrooms had hot and cold running water in them.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Here's something I noticed today in town. Had a morning with just my grandson so I took him to the walking trail/ park in town. It's 4 miles of bike trail, as well as play grounds, tennis courts, basketball courts, and a bmx track.

While there I noticed that they locked down the public bathrooms to limit the spread of the virus. Or so the sign said on the doors.

I get that reasoning behind it. But why then would you drop off a porta potty for the public to use instead 🤪😜🤪😜🤪😜

At least the public bathrooms had hot and cold running water in them.
Sounds screwy to me. I wouldn't use either. I suppose inappropriate to look for a bush? Where by the way are the smily faces kept?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sounds screwy to me. I wouldn't use either. I suppose inappropriate to look for a bush? Where by the way are the smily faces kept?
Top of the reply box there is a smiley face. Or if your on your tablet or phone check at the top of the key pad.

20200613_180214.jpg

I thought it was a little screwy that the closed the restroom and brought in a porta potty. Especially since they locked it up from dusk till dawn.

No place to find a bush there. The area is a power and utilities right of way for the city. With neighborhoods butting up to the area. Area is mowed grass with asphalt bike path and the other bonuses. So if you did find a bush, chances are good your in someone's back yard 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I tried clicking on the one in reply and nothing happened. They are all greyed out. Any way thank you!

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I see they did a double lung transplant on a woman in her twenties because SARS-COV2 had totally destroyed her lungs.
It's crazy how some infected people are asymptomatic and others can have severe organ damage.

COVID victim gets double lung transplant

Was a good program on Science Friday on NPR yesterday, Ira had Dr. Fauci on for quite a long conversation about what might be ahead in the pandemic.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All I know is, with my pre existing condition, the Wuhan Flu wound kill me so I don't take any chances and I won't for the immediate future. I was told by my friend's wife (who is a intensive care trauma nurse at a local hospital that being on a ventilator is a bad deal for your lungs anyway.

I may be the only mask wearer in a retail store and I may be the only person with hand sanitizer in my car and I may be the only person who wears latex gloves when pumping gas or diesel fro a filling station pump and I may be the only person who takes cash money and puts it in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes and I may be anal but I have not contracted it and don't plan to if I can help it. My wife is the same way.

I own rental properties and I have no personal contact with my renters either. Put the check (or cash) in an envelope and put it in my mailbox. If there is an issue with say plumbing or something, I'll fix it but don't be home and don't be in my face because it's not going to make me happy. I'll tell you to get the h away from me. Don't want your germs and especially don't want to contract it from you if you have it.

I'm appalled at the cavalier attitude some people exhibit but then, it's them, not me. Like the old worn saying goes... You make your bed, now you get to sleep in it. Being dead is a long time thing. I'm not ready for that quite yet and I sure as hell don't want to expire with a tube stuck down my throat, drowning in my own bodily fluids, unable to aspirate on my own.

Was at Tractor Supply the other day for bird seed and they have free masks and hand sanitizer at the door and a sign that says, 'no mask' no service', but I was amazed at the number of what I consider people with a cavalier attitude in the store, no mask on. All well and good, I have mine on. In fact, my wife made me 3 of them with 3 layers of close knit cloth. Sure they are uncomfortable but I'll deal with uncomfortable over the alternative.

Anyway, I'm standing in the checkout line (floor is marked in 6 foot intervals) and some clown and his girlfriend comes up behind me, I mean right on top of me and is standing behind me and coughing... I looked over my shoulder and in a not nice voice, told them to back the H up six feet. Damn lucky I left my handgun in the car, I'm usually armed and I have a short fuse with stupid.

Like I said before, I don't give a damn what you do to yourself but don't infect me with your stupidity.

Interestingly, one of my renters, a single mom in her mid 20's stopped by and was starting to approach me and I was backing up. She said what was wrong and I looked he straight in the eye and said to her, you may be asymptomatic, I'm not taking any chances and she said "I don't have Covid" to which I replied, 'have you ever been tested'? She just looked at me and didn't answer. Of course not. People have that attitude and those people get sick or give it to others and some expire too.

Not of that vein.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
🦕thanks mc. The gear icon did toggle it. Tends to flip back but there are a gillion of them!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
[QUOTE="SidecarFlip, post: 397965, member: 36690

Anyway, I'm standing in the checkout line (floor is marked in 6 foot intervals) and some clown and his girlfriend comes up behind me, I mean right on top of me and is standing behind me and coughing... I looked over my shoulder and in a not nice voice, told them to back the H up six feet.
[/QUOTE]

I'll keep that line for future use. Too bad I'm only 5'3.

🙂

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
[QUOTE="SidecarFlip, post: 397965, member: 36690

Anyway, I'm standing in the checkout line (floor is marked in 6 foot intervals) and some clown and his girlfriend comes up behind me, I mean right on top of me and is standing behind me and coughing... I looked over my shoulder and in a not nice voice, told them to back the H up six feet.
I'll keep that line for future use. Too bad I'm only 5'3.

🙂
[/QUOTE]

Anne Oakley wasn't big either but she packed a helluva punch.🔫

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Arizona's peak new cases per day was 740, then began tapering off.
Then they opened up the state, and virtually everyone stopped distancing and using masks & sanitizer- last figure I saw was 1600+ new cases per day.
Morons.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Had a guy get too close to me and asked him to back off. He said he didn't have to, he didn't the virus. Asked him how tall he was, he said 5ft 10, why?
I said after I knock you on your ass, you will be 6ft from me. He backed off & stayed away.
Moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.