oil seal removel front drive shaft

billl

Equipment
L4610
Jan 26, 2011
Little Valley,NY
i have a 2001 4610 4x4 gst ser#72700 replaced the two seals on the front drive shaft comming out of tranny. two days later still leaking wondering if something is wrong with the coller on that shaft? will that shaft pull all the way out with out geting into tranny? not an easy thing to get to!

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I have oil dripping out the plug in my bellhousing, I suspect the seals are going out on the propeller shaft on my L3410 too, 2001 model as well.:(

Sam427

Equipment
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
Has anyone found a way to replace the seals on the front driveshaft without splitting the tractor/

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
No, you must split the tractor to replace those seals. You MIGHT be able to fix the leak without splitting the tractor though! remove the front part of the driveshaft and look in there to see if there is a sleeve over the shaft inside the bell housing. this sleeve is to keep the seal collar in place. Some tractors came from the factory missing this sleeve and the collar would work itself forward out of the seal and cause a leak. if this is so simply push the collar back into place ( it can't go too far) then either buy the right sleeve and install it or make one to prevent that collar from moving!
Ed

Sam427

Equipment
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
No, you must split the tractor to replace those seals. You MIGHT be able to fix the leak without splitting the tractor though! remove the front part of the driveshaft and look in there to see if there is a sleeve over the shaft inside the bell housing. this sleeve is to keep the seal collar in place. Some tractors came from the factory missing this sleeve and the collar would work itself forward out of the seal and cause a leak. if this is so simply push the collar back into place ( it can't go too far) then either buy the right sleeve and install it or make one to prevent that collar from moving!
Ed

Thanks! I have another question, what are the two balls and the spring for on the gear? I am wondering if those came out, last year when I changed the hydraulic filter there was a loose ball lodged in the filter, I also found a piece of rubber, maybe an O-ring or part of a seal. The tractor has always worked fine except for the leak, which seems to have gotten worse with use.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Gear 4WD Shift, page 140, ref. 060. Ball and spring ref. 040 and 050
Those balls and spring are detent balls to hold the gear engaged and disengaged. I don't see how they could get out without removing the gear from the shaft.
Ed

MODiesel

Equipment
L5030HSTC MFWD
Dec 1, 2017
Missouri USA
Ed
Old post & thread, I know. But would the L5030HST also have this sleeve?