Snapping of lynch pins

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I keep breaking the rings on the lynch pin on the 3PH. I see how they're breaking but not sure how to stop it. Here is a pic of left side, looks like the 3PH is sliding over and breaking the ring.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
I think you need to tighten up the slack adjusters between your drag arms of the 3pt hitch. It prevents the arms from spreading out.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Looks to me like a quick hitch.

If so, I would remove each pin and put 1/2 inch or so of washers under it to move it out. That way the right side pin shoulder keeps the LH hook away from the LH lynch pin.

And it looks like you are using a quick hitch without bushing on the pins to fit the hook size. Using bushings will cut down on movement of the pin in the hook.

Bruce

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My quick hitch requires adapter sleeves to fit implement properly. Also washers or the quick pins will do exactly as you describe.

Ideal scenario: all your implements are identical at the three point wich means no chain adjustment. Not happenin around here.
Need to have chains adjusted so stuff doesent slam around
On the hitch.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I think you need to tighten up the slack adjusters between your drag arms of the 3pt hitch. It prevents the arms from spreading out.
That will only work if the stabilizers are inside of the lift arms, not outboard.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your talking about the inside lynch pins, Pull out the pins and turn them around so the lynch pin is on the outside. ;)

Now if your talking the lynch pins on the ends of the implement pins, put these on and it's fixed.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I see two lynch pins in the photo.

The top one is installed correctly but is not meant to be seated on a hook-type surface and will get caught. Buy a large washer and put it between the lynch pin and the hook.

The bottom lynch pin is not correct. It should be on the outside, away from the implement frame. As already stated, turn around the bolt and put that lynch pin on the outside like the top lynch pin is mounted.

Then, consider getting the extra heavy lynch pins from Tractor Supply. They are black and quite a bit stronger than the gold ones. Not that much more expensive either.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-lynch-pin-7-16-in-heavy-duty-s070913tsc?cm_vc=-10005

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For your set-up with a quick hitch, I'd add the bushings to make those pins the diameter to fit snugly. Then you need some thing to hold the bushings on. Otherwise, without the bushings, just put washers on the "bolt" end of the pin to move it out, then no key or other restrain is needed on the end of the pin, due to the quick hitch not be adjustable anyhow.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I see those. Are they that good?

The others are $0.25 a piece....
75 cents more, holy crap!
Ha,Ha! They are not 25 cents each when they break all the time and have to be replaced. Not to mention the aggravation and bother when the implement slips off.

I now use them exclusively and not one has ever bent or broken. Keep your hands out of the bail or the only broken thing will be a finger. :D

Yep, because of the extra 75 cents each, I had to eat beans for a week to make up for the expense.:rolleyes:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ha,Ha! They are not 25 cents each when they break all the time and have to be replaced. Not to mention the aggravation and bother when the implement slips off.
True, didn't know they were heavier duty. I broke a couple this spring with my box blade - I'll have to try some.

I'm sure I will be able to find room in the budget!;)