Getting no fuel.....?

Jim1954

Jul 3, 2010
Kilgore Texas
Hi,
New to the forum here, and I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to diesel engines, or tractors.
Last year the tractor quit running while a relative was brush hogging, he had a diesel mechanic check it out, apparently the fuel injector pump needed rebuilding, (it's close to 30 years old) which we had done. Before the pump was reinstalled we changed the fuel filter and it ran just like it used to. Now for some reason after it runs for about 45 minutes it just quits. You can come back after a day or so, and it will start after much cranking and small spray of starting fluid. After that it runs great and again after 45 minutes of brush hogging it quits again. I just lost my job, and can't afford to hire someone to come look at it, any thoughts on this sure would be appreciated. If more info is needed on the tractor, I will get it and with pictures.
Thanks
Jim

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Sounds like it could be a vacuum in the fuel system. Possibly the tank is not vented so it builds up a vacuum in the tank and soon the vacuum is greater than what the fuel pump can pull and it starves for fuel and then finally quits. Then after a while when the tank has slowly un-vacuumed itself, you are able to start it by cranking fuel back through the system until it starts and then the whole process starts all over again. Check your fuel cap to be sure it is vented properly. One way is to run without the cap(not recommended) or when it does shut down immediately open the fuel cap and see if you can hear air rushing into the tank. Or simply replace the cap for a few bucks and try it out.

NC Bota

Equipment
B7610, FEL, box blade
Jun 1, 2010
West Jefferson, NC, USA
I think phildac is on the right track. Next time it quits open the fuel cap and see if you hear the inrush of air. Or.... after 30 minutes shut down and open the cap.

You may also want to check out the article from Service Dept Vic regarding bleeding the injectors. May help your starting issue. Try not to use starting fluid. It can destroy your engine.

Mark

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My M series tractor doesn't have a vent fuel cap. It has vent tubes that are in between the hood and the dash. It's sort of hard to explain but they will be hanging down behind the starter area and about the same on the other side. Mine are bad to get stopped up with dirt dobbers. Have to shove a wire up thru them and bust them out and then it will work fine.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Get an air stone, the kind they use in acraiums for the air bubbles, plug it into the vent hose. no more dirt dobbers stopping it up and it still breathes.

Jim1954

Jul 3, 2010
Kilgore Texas
Thanks for all the replies!
I did remove the cap yesterday after it quit running and didn’t hear a thing, but might not have been close enough.

Bulldog, I will look for those hoses and check them out.

Ipz2222, sounds like a pretty sharp idea.

NC Bota, I did read the article or enough of it to convince me never to use starting fluid again, by bleeding the injectors, do you mean disconnecting the individual fuel lines where they enter each cylinder? (will check the article)

phildac, thank you too.

A mechanic told my cousin that it also could be debris in the fuel tank, possibly allowing fuel to slowly drain into system, then after so long this fuel gets used up.
Will get back to you on what I find.

Jim

Jim1954

Jul 3, 2010
Kilgore Texas
My M series tractor doesn't have a vent fuel cap. It has vent tubes that are in between the hood and the dash. It's sort of hard to explain but they will be hanging down behind the starter area and about the same on the other side. Mine are bad to get stopped up with dirt dobbers. Have to shove a wire up thru them and bust them out and then it will work fine.
Apparently some of the M series have vented caps, this one does, and it turned out that there was debris at the bottom of the fuel tank probably in the shut off valve, (why they have a shut off valve since you can't get to it without removing the the tank!). I took the hose loose that connects to the bottom of the tank, and nothing was coming out, even with 15 gallons of fuel in the tank. I shot a quick burst of air in the line and she flowed full tilt. I drained the tank and renmoved all the fittings etc, and found a 3/4" round piece of a leaf, two screen filters that are supposed to fit into the fill spout, and what looked like a rubber gasket that comes with a plastic gas cans. I plan on removing the shut off valve since you can't get to it anyway, and replacing that with a brass elbow with a hose barb on the one side.

NC Bota

Equipment
B7610, FEL, box blade
Jun 1, 2010
West Jefferson, NC, USA
NC Bota, I did read the article or enough of it to convince me never to use starting fluid again, by bleeding the injectors, do you mean disconnecting the individual fuel lines where they enter each cylinder? (will check the article)

Jim
Jim,

Yes, you loosen the nuts at the fuel injectors (don't remove them) and crank until you get fuel at the injector, then tighten the nuts back. Should run well again.