Looking for Non-CDL Dump Truck Recommendations

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Are you kidding me!?!? Out here you couldn't touch anything like that for twice the money! Man, I gotta make some shopping trips back east…..
Don't come toooo far east, you will run smack into reality again,:mad:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Are you kidding me!?!? Out here you couldn't touch anything like that for twice the money! Man, I gotta make some shopping trips back east…..
No kidding. I've been sniffing around them too. Out here most are from about $6k up to $9k or so.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My two neighbors/buddies up north where the cabin is (Blue Ridge area) also want a dump trailer, and have both suggested all three of us go in together on one & share it…… not sure how that would work….. sounds like all kinds of problems waiting to happen.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Dump trailers do have their place and are fine for the weekend warrior and the DIY guys who occasional need to haul material. But as the original post from Tsafa went he is looking for a DUMP TRUCK to haul material and also to put a SNOW PLOW on to clear parking lots with. There for dump trailers do not apply and are irrelevant in this thread in the first place. Trailers aren't very useful to push snow with.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, consider me slapped upside the head again!:eek:

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
You might look into a 2500 diesel truck then have a dump bed mounted to avoid CDL criteria. If you are going to push snow then I assume you would be paid. If there is an exchange, "paid", then it can also be classed in some states as commercial business therefore requiring a CDL due to "business".

As said before, check the CDL requirements of your state then that might define where you want to be with equipment.

I just bought a single axle dump truck with air brakes but it is not going to see the road. It will only be used on my property to haul dirt for a build up so I can put up a building. After the filling is done I will sell it. The grading people want toooooooo much money for this work so I decided to do it myself.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
A truck that meets CDL requirements are listed as follows

Class A

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more if the vehicle(s) being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds. Vehicles in this class include:

* Tractor-trailer
* Truck and trailer combinations
* Tractor-trailer buses

If you hold a class A license and you have the correct endorsements, you may also operate vehicles listed in classes B and C.
Class A Vehicles

Class B

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more towing another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. This class includes:

* Straight trucks
* Large buses
* Segmented buses
* Trucks towing vehicles with GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less

If you hold a class B license and you have the correct endorsements, you may also operate vehicles listed in class C.
Class B Vehicles

Class C

Any vehicle that is not included in classes A or B that carries hazardous materials or is designed to carry 16 or more occupants, including the driver.
Class C Vehicles

NOW you do not need DOT numbers or a medical card unless you are a "for hire" trucking outfit OR an employee for a company. You can leagally drive something as large as a Ford F650 using hydraulic brakes WITHOUT a CDL.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
OK, I been watching this one for some time and have decided to post. I am not posting to try to steer you to any particular truck or equipment. I wish to discuss legal aspects of running any commercial vehicle whether it requires a CDL or not. I do not know how law enforcement treats these where you are located. I suggest that you find out. A commercial vehicle requires a fire extinguisher, and triangles in the vehicle. A post trip inspection report is required. Proper ID and display of DOT number is required. An annual vehicle inspection may be required. Minnesota enforces these laws. A health card may be required. Drug and alcohol testing is required for commercial vehicle operation. I am trying to say to learn what you need before you buy anything. I have seen this type of thing before and most find out the hard way that no CDL required is just part of it. Good luck with whatever you do here.

Everything mentioned here ONLY applies to a commercial vehicle that is "for hire" and is crossing state lines.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
We must be looking at the same ones!:D
No kidding. I've been sniffing around them too. Out here most are from about $6k up to $9k or so.
My two neighbors/buddies up north where the cabin is (Blue Ridge area) also want a dump trailer, and have both suggested all three of us go in together on one & share it…… not sure how that would work….. sounds like all kinds of problems waiting to happen.
Hey guys. In this price range you can buy a dump truck and skip the trailer. If the trailer best suits then I understand. If the dump truck would work better, as it does for me, then keep looking in your price range especially if a few are in it together.

I just bought an 89 Ford F700 single axle, air brake, diesel turbo dump truck for $3K. It was formerly a CSX railroad truck and is in nice condition. For $6K or $9K there were a lot bigger and nicer options as well as newer.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've got a 2500HD Crew, a K5 desert truck, a C10 6.2 that my daughter used to drive (now just a backup), a Suzi DL1000, and a Bonne GXP the wife drives. And now 2 tractors. Last thing I want or need is another thing that needs routine driveline maintenance, insurance, fuel, batteries, and emissions/tags... And a dump truck still leaves me with no practical way to haul my tractors. Just different reality and priorities.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
In Minnesota the rules apply to all commercial vehicles. A commercial vehicle is one that is used in commerce. Commerce is defined a money changing hands. As I read and reread the original post I understood the truck will be used to haul for a business and plow snow as a business. As stated the rules are applied to all commercial vehicles in MN. I do not know what or how his local state enforces. My intention is to make him aware that certain rules may apply that are not being discussed. Every business needs to learn the rules and abide by them. The officers on the road will educate as needed but it can be a hard lesson. I wish him luck in whatever endeavor he wishes to try.

Kurtee
In most cases any truck used in a business has to have commercial insurance on the truck and trailer if pulling one, but often times it does not have to be registered as a commercial vehicle "for hire" When I say "for hire" I mean any truck that is being used to earn money for a profit such as hauling loads of freight and being compensated for it. In most situations a pick up truck with a commercial auto insurance policy is just used to haul the equipment around for a business owner and is not classified "for hire"

And believe me the Officers on the road and the guys operating the weigh stations really have no clue about indepth details. I firmly believe they make it up as they go along. For I got a ticket in my Freightliner because the bed in my bunk was not make up and tidy.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Actually I got the trailer for less than $700 if you want the truth! The guy sold it to me for the price he had into the metal sides that you see in the picture. I got the whole deal for $660...then bought 4 brand new 8 ply Carlisle trailer tires for it, replaced the hub seals and cleaned up the brakes, bought paint and painted it, built a tailgate for it, put some tie down anchors in the bed, put some new lights on, re-wired the pump switch, and got a free newer Mercedes diesel battery which a customer had wanted replaced but was still perfectly good.

I know this trailer would go for about $4-5k used around here, I just lucked out on Craigslist!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
See is the the other key problem I don't like about a dump trailer. Hardly any of them are built to the right height or bed lenght to raise the bed up in the air and get the entire load to completly dump out without burrying the end of the bed in the dirt. You shouldn't have to drive a tractor up it to unload it all the way. And who has time to shovel by hand?!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm in no way trying to nitpick or being an asshole here but the above photo Billdog350 is more then likely putting more weight onto the hydraulic cylinder then its probably capable of supporting, thus running the risk of breaking the trailer alto crap. Potential for the cylinder to fail and come crashing down with his tractor like that resulting in injury.

Also his landscape rake is maxed out and stuck on the ground with his tractor at that angle running the risk of breaking the rake or trashing the 3pth hitch. But these are the things people have to do with a dump trailer to get it all out. NO THANK YOU.

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
See is the the other key problem I don't like about a dump trailer. Hardly any of them are built to the right height or bed lenght to raise the bed up in the air and get the entire load to completly dump out without burrying the end of the bed in the dirt. You shouldn't have to drive a tractor up it to unload it all the way. And who has time to shovel by hand?!

I'm in no way trying to nitpick or being an asshole here but the above photo Billdog350 is more then likely putting more weight onto the hydraulic cylinder then its probably capable of supporting, thus running the risk of breaking the trailer alto crap. Potential for the cylinder to fail and come crashing down with his tractor like that resulting in injury.

Also his landscape rake is maxed out and stuck on the ground with his tractor at that angle running the risk of breaking the rake or trashing the 3pth hitch. But these are the things people have to do with a dump trailer to get it all out. NO THANK YOU.
Never had that problem with my dump trailers but there a little bigger . 16' and a 20'

Here's my 16' its not raised all the way up in the pick . And the side boards are removeable on both my dumps . The tall sides are what we use for hurricane clean up . .. These pics was from when we just made the sides and painted it all .its a 1972 year made trailer

Here's my 20'PJ with no sides don't have a pic of it raised or with any sides on it handy

Last edited:

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Eric, you have a real bone to pick with me for some reason? I don't recall going after you ever on this forum.

In regards to your points above, I agree that the DROP AXLE trailer isn't ideal for dumping loads without having to move forward, however it is THE BEST to haul a machine around with! A normal height dump trailer would dump better but put the machine another few feet up and make it tippy around corners. Its the best compromise for my situation. Easy and safe loading+transportation.

As far as being high enough to dump a load, that was a load of very wet topsoil that would have stuck in a dump truck too. I know because a pickup came and delivered the first load at the same location. All other dry materials dump out of the trailer perfectly.

The weight of my B9200 would hurt the cylinders? Come on...that's a 10000lb rated trailer (I have dumped over 12k) and the tractor weighs 1800lbs plus the FEL and rake. Call it 3000lbs. No way that's straining the trailer or cylinders. Make sure you know what you're talking about before you start spouting uneducated comments.

Yes the rake was bottomed out but I could have adjusted the top link...I was able to get the load off the trailer and it all worked out great.

To summarize the original intent of my additions to this thread. The OP asked about dump options to avoid CDL and my suggestion was to save money and maintenance and go with a plow pickup plus dump trailer. Eric and others have suggested getting a dump truck. Some have suggested specific models. Overall there were multiple suggestions and reasons for each.

I'm not here to piss in anyone's cheerios. I'm here to provide suggestions which some may benefit by, and if some have other opinions, I'm happy to hear them as well. There are more than one ways to skin a rabbit.

Peace and have a nice day.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
There is a guy I've seen dumping slash & debris at the pit near my place in the mountains who has a dump trailer that apparently doesn't have enough clearance to fully empty the box. He has a couple of wooden ramps maybe 10" tall that he backs the trailer on to before dumping, and it seems to work fine. It's an extra step, but it's gotta be better than shoveling.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Billdog350 I'm not trying to come at you directly but use your photo as an example to others. Ok fine and dandy the cylinders are rated for 10k, still having the bed in the air and driving in and out is NOT SAFE. If you feel comfortable with it then thats your thing. Running in and out with no side to side stabilitly can and will cause the trailer to flip over.

And Fordman your tailers are about the only dump trailer I've ever seen built right and has the rear end height like a deck over trailer to allow it to be fully raised and not dig into the dirt.