Truck / trailer questions

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
Only if the trailer is long enough to back the unit up far enough to get enough weight on the tongue.
I’ll disagree with the standard 10-15%. Lots of experience towing many different things. Bumper and 5er. Boats tend to be much lighter up front. 8% is not uncommon. Toy haulers tend to be nose heavy. My current one is 16% loaded for racing and 19% for just camping.
Agree, tongue weight on boats of all types is way different than other types of trailers. I have various sailboats weighing between 300 lbs and 1000 lbs and all of them are set up on trailers with a tongue weights of 20-30 lbs, and they all pull like a breeze even with vehicles set up to only tow 3000 lbs. On the other hand my 12' utility trail empty has a tongue weight of 50 lbs and loaded with 1000 lbs it's usually near 100 lbs or more at the tongue.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Only if the trailer is long enough to back the unit up far enough to get enough weight on the tongue.
I’ll disagree with the standard 10-15%. Lots of experience towing many different things. Bumper and 5er. Boats tend to be much lighter up front. 8% is not uncommon. Toy haulers tend to be nose heavy. My current one is 16% loaded for racing and 19% for just camping.
I agree re tonque weight when towing boats.

I'm getting my boat out of winter storage tomorrow and I'm going to check the tongue weight with the Sherline tongue weight gauge this weekend, but I bet it's less than 10%. The boat tows really well and has a listed dry weight including the engine of 3,050lb. If the 70 gallon fuel tank is full that's another 560lb. Add in the T-top, hand rail and all other gear it's probably around 4,200lb. As you can see from the photo, the weight is mostly distributed from the front axle rearward (fuel tank is under the operator's seat). The aluminum trailer has a GVWR of 7,400lb, and according to the title has an empty weight of 900lb. So the entire load is maybe 5,100lb. I wouldn't be surprised if the tonque weight is 5% or less.

f250_robalo_r200.jpg

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
The way I understand it is over 10% tongue weight starts overloading the front axle on a dual trailer. That's when a equalizer hitch comes in to get the weight divided equally on trailer and truck wheels / axles. Modern truck electronics make a properly hitched and weight trailer adjust to the truck braking. Trouble is some cheap out on controllers that are not tied to the eab system and the truck controls that without activating the break pedal switch older technology controllers use. That can be big trouble in an emergency situation.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The way I understand it is over 10% tongue weight starts overloading the front axle on a dual trailer. That's when a equalizer hitch comes in to get the weight divided equally on trailer and truck wheels / axles. Modern truck electronics make a properly hitched and weight trailer adjust to the truck braking. Trouble is some cheap out on controllers that are not tied to the eab system and the truck controls that without activating the break pedal switch older technology controllers use. That can be big trouble in an emergency situation.
I've never owned a truck with a factory brake controller but perhaps will in a couple of years. I run a Tekonsha P3 model in my F250 that works really well. It has an internal accelerometer that is part of the progressive braking feature. Are you able to adjust how aggressive braking is with factory units? All models seem to have some form of manual emergency braking feature, and the Tekonsha has three "boost" levels in addition to the ability to set the base breaking force. Quite a lot of features but they're close to $200 so not a cheap option.

The boat trailer above only has surge braking with an hydraulic cylinder controlling calipers at each wheel. That might be typical of trailers that get submerged on a regular basis.

Last edited:

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I've never owned a truck with a factory brake controller but perhaps will in a couple of years. I run a Tekonsha P3 model in my F250 that works really well. It has an internal accelerometer that is part of the progressive braking feature. Are you able to adjust how aggressive braking is with factory units? All models seem to have some form of manual emergency braking feature, and the Tekonsha has three "boost" levels in addition to the ability to set the base breaking force. Quite a lot of features but they're close to $200 so not a cheap option.

The boat trailer above only has surge braking with an hydraulic cylinder controlling calipers at each wheel. That might be typical of trailers that get submerged on a regular basis.
My F150 factory controller has "Brake Effort" low/medium/high as well as the normal 0-10 adjustment.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've used the tekonsha before as well. But, I can tell you that the integrated controllers in newer trucks rock. Most have options for setting each trailer up with different braking gain levels. I'd much prefer the factory option as it usually comes with the towing package (HD brakes, engine/trans oil coolers etc).

The only thing that I'm not thrilled about on my (well, not so new anymore 2018 F150) is the pro trailer backup assist. I tried it once with the boat trailer! I'm sure its great for folks that have never backed up a trailer before...but for the majority of the folks on here it's pretty useless! It took me way longer to back up a trailer with it.

My only wish for my 2015 Ram 3500 chassis cab is I need a freaking backup camera. I can get it pretty close when hitching the trailer, but sometime it takes several attempts...and the trailer is quite heavy to try to muscle it.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,

Mine you set the knob once for the trailer for smoothest braking and set the trailer length for blind spot sensing. During operation it monitors the truck deceleration when stopping and adjusts the trailer braking accordingly for smooth stopping without pushing the truck. Should the eab braking system see an emergency the trailer brakes and truck brakes are applied in unison to hopefully avoid an accident without having to touch the brake pedal. It remembers each trailer setting somehow when you switch trailers. All I know it provides very smooth braking controlled by the truck sensors to adjust gain. I used the old style controllers of every brand for 50 years and this is the best I have encountered yet. Definitely need good properly adjusted brakes on each trailer for any controller.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I've used the tekonsha before as well. But, I can tell you that the integrated controllers in newer trucks rock. Most have options for setting each trailer up with different braking gain levels. I'd much prefer the factory option as it usually comes with the towing package (HD brakes, engine/trans oil coolers etc).

The only thing that I'm not thrilled about on my (well, not so new anymore 2018 F150) is the pro trailer backup assist. I tried it once with the boat trailer! I'm sure its great for folks that have never backed up a trailer before...but for the majority of the folks on here it's pretty useless! It took me way longer to back up a trailer with it.

My only wish for my 2015 Ram 3500 chassis cab is I need a freaking backup camera. I can get it pretty close when hitching the trailer, but sometime it takes several attempts...and the trailer is quite heavy to try to muscle it.
I find the Pro Trailer Backup confuses me more than anything. I am used to counter steering to backup a trailer so turning a knob in the direction I want the trailer to go throws me off. I did get my trailer configured with the new truck just because it already has the sticker, but I probably won't end up using it.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you need a 'computer' to backup your trailer, you shouldn't have the trailer !!!
Pull the plug on the computer ! Too many dang 'helpful features' we do not need !

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

I watch some boat ramp YouTube channels when I want to feel good about myself, and many of those muppets could use the pro trailer backup assist! :LOL:

I installed a backup camera on my Ford a few years ago that integrates with the Alpine head unit, but I still haven't run the wires. Another job on my list.

• Haha

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I towed my B7100 with FEL, tiller and box scraper on a 12' Dico single axle tilt bed trailer with no trailer brakes. With my 1978 Toyota Hilux longbed pickup. In the late 1970's. Had many pucker moments. I was young and foolish.

So you can tow whatever you can hookup. Tow a Kubota MX with a Ford Ranger or a Subaru Brat. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Is it safe? No.

Should you care? Yes. Not only for yourself and your family, but for other drivers around you on the road.

Look at a 1/2 ton frame and axles and then look at a 3/4 ton frame and axles. The difference will probably shock you.

If going with Ford, Do you want a boosted small V6 or a naturally aspirated V8?

I think for hauling an LX2610, you could do it with a modern 1/2 ton fullsize. But as for me, I tow my LX2610 with a 3/4 ton because it's safer for myself and others.

Besides, if I get a bigger tractor, I won't need a bigger truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

I have the same controller. It works great. (y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Here is my old school "back up camera"

1714041006134.png

It sure beats trying to decipher the old ladys flagging signals....(I thought she was having a seizure the last time she tried to guide me.....LOL)

1714041367130.png

Reactions: 2 users

Fly5guy

Equipment
LX2610 Cab, R14's filled, LA535, SGC0660, PFL1242, RCR1860, LR1672, STB1072
Apr 14, 2022
I towed my B7100 with FEL, tiller and box scraper on a 12' Dico single axle tilt bed trailer with no trailer brakes. With my 1978 Toyota Hilux longbed pickup. In the late 1970's. Had many pucker moments. I was young and foolish.

So you can tow whatever you can hookup. Tow a Kubota MX with a Ford Ranger or a Subaru Brat. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Is it safe? No.

Should you care? Yes. Not only for yourself and your family, but for other drivers around you on the road.

Look at a 1/2 ton frame and axles and then look at a 3/4 ton frame and axles. The difference will probably shock you.

If going with Ford, Do you want a boosted small V6 or a naturally aspirated V8?

I think for hauling an LX2610, you could do it with a modern 1/2 ton fullsize. But as for me, I tow my LX2610 with a 3/4 ton because it's safer for myself and others.

Besides, if I get a bigger tractor, I won't need a bigger truck.
I'm going Chevy or GMC most likely. I talked to a trailer place and he said he sees no issues pulling that weight with a 1/2 ton either. He also said he would recommend a 10k trailer as they are built sturdier and pull nicer, bigger tires etc. He did add that the difference in price is negligible. Not sure if that's just a sales tactic but seems like it could be valid. I know my new 24' enclosed work trailer has heavier axles on it compared to the old one and I could tell a difference how it pulls. The old one was also 10 years old and pulled daily so it had a lot of miles.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Yes, the price is similar between 7k and 10k trailers but be careful of the tires the trailer manufacturer uses. The biggest difference here in NY is the registration cost every year is considerably higher for the extra 3k rating. Also be careful that the 10 k rating even if you don't use it doesn't push you over the combined gross vehicle weight rating of the truck should thereever be a problem. The manufacturer ratings for towing have been thoroughly tested and staying within those limits, hitch weights, and combined weights will be trouble free. Ask about the requirements for an equalizer hitch as over 5k on a 1/2 ton they are usually required.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I'm going Chevy or GMC most likely. I talked to a trailer place and he said he sees no issues pulling that weight with a 1/2 ton either. He also said he would recommend a 10k trailer as they are built sturdier and pull nicer, bigger tires etc. He did add that the difference in price is negligible. Not sure if that's just a sales tactic but seems like it could be valid. I know my new 24' enclosed work trailer has heavier axles on it compared to the old one and I could tell a difference how it pulls. The old one was also 10 years old and pulled daily so it had a lot of miles.
I forgot to mention in earlier post, if not already checked or considered, but I would mention is check into the tire ratings of what you get. A lot of trailer come with some pretty cheap tires. Look into especially the ply, speed, and load ratings to make sure what comes on the trailer matches your needs. Good luck. ☕

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes, the price is similar between 7k and 10k trailers but be careful of the tires the trailer manufacturer uses. The biggest difference here in NY is the registration cost every year is considerably higher for the extra 3k rating.
Up here a trailer gets a permanent plate with a one-time fee. I can't imagine having to register and pay for all of my trailers each year. What's next in NY? Firearms registration! :LOL:

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Up here a trailer gets a permanent plate with a one-time fee. I can't imagine having to register and pay for all of my trailers each year. What's next in NY? Firearms registration! :LOL:
It's a total pain to have to register them every year. I have 4 trailers that I have to do every year! that's on top of everything else, boat, kayak, ATV, both vehicles, etc...

• Wow