Truck / trailer questions

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You CAN haul your tractor and trailer with either truck. It will be safer and handle far better with the 3/4 ton truck. Engine HP and torque are kinda negligible for this consideration. You can pull with either. However the truck/trailer will handle on the road much better with the heavier truck suspension and upgraded braking capability. Especially when traveling at highway/interstate speeds. The 3/4 ton will be less subjected to being pushed around by the trailer, unlike the half ton truck. But if you’re hauling on back roads a lower speeds, the half ton will work fine.

Reactions: 1 users

Fly5guy

Equipment
LX2610 Cab, R14's filled, LA535, SGC0660, PFL1242, RCR1860, LR1672, STB1072
Apr 14, 2022
Many mile Interstate rips, or just around town?
Longest trip would be maybe 2 hours to hunting camp. Other then that short trips. Under an hour. Mostly hwy more then likely. Not taking it into big cities. I live in northern MN. I won't be going anywhere near the twin cities.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
You CAN haul your tractor and trailer with either truck. It will be safer and handle far better with the 3/4 ton truck. Engine HP and torque are kinda negligible for this consideration. You can pull with either. However the truck/trailer will handle on the road much better with the heavier truck suspension and upgraded braking capability. Especially when traveling at highway/interstate speeds. The 3/4 ton will be less subjected to being pushed around by the trailer, unlike the half ton truck. But if you’re hauling on back roads a lower speeds, the half ton will work fine.
This is a good point. With my current 1/2 ton I can feel even a single 4 wheeler trailer behind me. I pull a 24ft enclosed trailer for work with a 1 ton diesel and can't really feel it most of the time. I do prefer not having it tug me around. Very good point.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This is a good point. With my current 1/2 ton I can feel even a single 4 wheeler trailer behind me. I pull a 24ft enclosed trailer for work with a 1 ton diesel and can't really feel it most of the time. I do prefer not having it tug me around. Very good point.
With a 3/4 ton+ truck, the trailer doesn’t push the truck around and often I have to remind myself that I’m pulling a trailer. I had many 1/2 tons prior to buying 3/4 ton trucks. The difference is real. But much of my driving is on interstates at 75mph. Tooling around at low speeds, I would feel safe towing at maximum weight with a half ton.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Just go to dealer and talk to the salesman wearing plaid britches,he will see that you leave with what you need.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A well specced trailer with good brakes on both axles will substantially reduce how much it pushes your truck around. Yes, if you get a sway on a 3/4 ton will control it better. But for occasional towing, and if you're loading sensibly, and you're not relying on the truck to stop the trailer (because your trailer is under-braked), I'd say you're fine.

In my part of the world, I tow my B2601 (yes, a lighter tractor) on a single axle unbraked trailer, with my diesel V8 VW Touareg. It tows well, and the VW can easily stop it. All the setups you describe are an order of magnitude safer than what I'm doing. And what I'm doing is reasonably safe.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I think you would be fine with the 1/2 ton.

I on the other hand, just found a broken leaf on my port side leafs when I was putting air bags on my 2500 two weeks ago, so I am going to order some 1 ton springs for it.

Of course changing out springs not made for your truck is probably not good advice for mere mortals. 😂 😂

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I don't know about chevy or dodge but if you are looking at a ford let me say this. My son just bought a 3/4 ton ford, he got online on Fords build and price site and built a f-150 and f-250 with the same options or as close as can be. After it was all said and done the f250 wasn't much more than the half ton truck. In my opinion the half tons are way over priced compared to the 3/4 ton trucks. Check into it, you may be surprised. Both options had gas engines, if you go diesel then it's a big difference.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
I used my Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 engine to trailer my green 3005 with a front end loader and 5 ft cutter on an 18 ft trailer. About 6k pull weight.

Truck had plenty of power. Rear springs were a little soft though. I added a Hellwig helper leaf to help with the rear sag when loaded.

I towed it about 150 miles round trip once a month.

Truck did fine.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I just purchased a 3/4 ton to do my towing. Generally, when you jump up to the a 3/4 ton and larger you step into the commercial series of trucks and get an all around better truck. Everything about the truck is built a little heavier/better.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
heck around here, I can buy a 'semi', like a White for far less than a new 3/4t pickup truck. Knew a guy that hauled his 22' boat with one. Looked kinda funny seeing him pull in ....
But then you need a CDL.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
Interesting discussion. I'll be in the market for a new truck in the next 6 months. I'd like to be able to tow my tractor 2 or 3 times a year about 45 miles each direction, probably just renting a suitable trailer. While the truck won't be a daily driver, it will be used more for commuting, running errands, pulling a small boats and longer trips with my wife, which means it will lean more toward the luxury side of things. I'm looking at a GMC Crew Cab regular bed and am back and forth between 1/2 ton with the 3 liter Duramax diesel (20-27 mpg) and 3/4 ton with the 6.6 liter gas V8 (13-18 mpg). The 1/2 ton with the diesel has a 12,500 lbs tow capacity with the Max Trailering Package and I believe the 3/4 ton is around 17,000 lbs tow capacity. I figure my tractor and trailer combo will be about 10-11K lbs. I'm leaning toward the 1/2 configuration because it will be used way more often in regular duty than in heavy towing and I'm not sure the handful of times I'll tow the tractor is worth the higher purchase price of the 3/4 ton, not to mention the daily miles per gallon difference.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
But then you need a CDL.
Nope. You don't need a CDL unless its registered as a commercial vehicle or you are using it for commercial purposes...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nope. You don't need a CDL unless its registered as a commercial vehicle or you are using it for commercial purposes...
Thanks....
I actually did know that.
All large motor homes fall into that category also.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Interesting discussion. I'll be in the market for a new truck in the next 6 months. I'd like to be able to tow my tractor 2 or 3 times a year about 45 miles each direction, probably just renting a suitable trailer. While the truck won't be a daily driver, it will be used more for commuting, running errands, pulling a small boats and longer trips with my wife, which means it will lean more toward the luxury side of things. I'm looking at a GMC Crew Cab regular bed and am back and forth between 1/2 ton with the 3 liter Duramax diesel (20-27 mpg) and 3/4 ton with the 6.6 liter gas V8 (13-18 mpg). The 1/2 ton with the diesel has a 12,500 lbs tow capacity with the Max Trailering Package and I believe the 3/4 ton is around 17,000 lbs tow capacity. I figure my tractor and trailer combo will be about 10-11K lbs. I'm leaning toward the 1/2 configuration because it will be used way more often in regular duty than in heavy towing and I'm not sure the handful of times I'll tow the tractor is worth the higher purchase price of the 3/4 ton, not to mention the daily miles per gallon difference.
To me the key thing about towing heavy trailers is where you’re towing and what travel speed. I don’t feel safe on interstate and highways towing with a half ton truck at 75mph in traffic. Tooling around backroads and secondary roads at lower speeds is not an issue. Needing to brake in traffic at interstate speeds might be a handling/control issue with a light duty truck.

Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
To me the key thing about towing heavy trailers is where you’re towing and what travel speed. I don’t feel safe on interstate and highways towing with a half ton truck at 75mph in traffic. Tooling around backroads and secondary roads at lower speeds is not an issue. Needing to brake in traffic at interstate speeds might be a handling/control issue with a light duty truck.
I heard that. 👍

My regular use case is 4 hr one way to our place up North. A couple years back, i had a tire blow out at 75 mph in 6 lane traffic and construction and really had my hands full. I am not sure I was lucky or good but I’ll take lucky. Luckily no one hurt.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
To tow a larger tractor I think you would want the 3/4. You are right on the top of the weight rating and while it would probably do it, its gonna be sagging. I'm gonna be about 1/2 the weight as you. Maybe a little more then half.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Friend has a 2014 F150, cab and 1/2(small suicide doors,whatever they call that.'extended cab ?'..) , 5L V8 , 8' box, cap and hauls his 33' travel trailer. Aside from the lousy gas mileage it's great on the highways.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'm going to assume the trailer might weigh 3000 at most. With a 4000 load on it, that makes 7000. I don't know of a 1/2 ton that wouldn't pull that just fine. Stop it too. Thing is, you are likely going to overload the rear axle of a 1/2 ton truck.
The problem is *what* you are towing. It's not a boat or camper where there is only 8- 15% of the trailer weight on the rear axle. You will probably be pulling the tractor onto the nose of the trailer to leave room for the mower. That adds a lot of tongue weight.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Friend has a 2014 F150, cab and 1/2(small suicide doors,whatever they call that.'extended cab ?'..) , 5L V8 , 8' box, cap and hauls his 33' travel trailer. Aside from the lousy gas mileage it's great on the highways.
I think your friend ought to have his head examined. A 33' travel trailer is way to large for a 1/2 ton whatever. That's a huge sail for a light weight pickup...in my opinion.