Fixing hole in side of block

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Update: Dropped off the block 10 days ago at the machine shop, they still have not touched it

I drove 1 hour away from the city in hope of getting a machine shop that has time for me, nope

Now: I need to drive 2 hours to go get the untouched block, what a waste

Please yall talk to me about this:

What would it take for me to DIY this properly?

I do remember wolfman leaving a link for a DIY honing kit but he said it would be best to have machine shop do it perfectly

How about those huge standing drill presses, where I put the block stationary, then come down with the proper 82 mm boring bit attached to it, and it perfectly grinds away at the liner?

That is the machine that they had at their shop, I will try to remember to take a picture of it when I get there

I feel like our money is so worthless, that no matter what I pay, I cannot get anyone to do anything for me since there is no point on their end

How many minutes of labor is it to hone 2 liners if you have the machine?

I was fixing to pay $200 for what I think is 1/2 hour of labor, that is $400/hour, how is that not enough?

Just let me know what it will take to DIY this properly

One machine shop suggested go to harbor freight and they might have the machine/tool
Sounds "par for the course" in todays world.

My neighbor, who is a "small time" builder (houses) just had their entire driveway replaced.

She has/had been waiting 18 months for them and she had to "keep reminding" them until they got tired of her calling.

The reason...... relatively speaking....it's a "peanuts job" for them. She said that they only came out as a "favor" because she has dealt with them in the past.

Like me and you, she is a basically "a nobody" and there isn't much money in working for "nobody's"

It's simple economics 101.

My SIL has his own business and he said something like "I won't even get out of bed for a job that is less than 5K."

His reasoning/claim is that by the time he pays his employees to get the equipment towed out to the job, then set up, then add the cost of insurance, equipment maintenance, permits, fuel, disposal fees, rain delay days...etc.... etc.............When you add it all up, a job thats less than 5K is a loss.

Your "1/2 hour" job estimate is probably a off by a "wee bit" too. ;)

I wish I could advise you on "honing" but I have never done it.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Your "1/2 hour" job estimate is probably a off by a "wee bit" too. ;)
What is the estimated time it would take to hone 2 liners that are already installed?

I read your entire response and agree completely and understand that I am a nobody

My rebuttal:

There are times in my job where I make $10 an hour and STILL do the job because:

It is my job to do the job. Simple as that.

I just dont understand, where are the kind people?

They must have been all bred away and we are left with the corporate controlled agents posing as "people"

So far in time wasted searching for a machine shop that would even answer their phones and leaving tons of voicemails, repeating the entire narrative, reached out to 30 machine shops, and the 4 hours of driving that I just did for nothing, it would amount to:

5 hours calling and messaging and searching, 4 hours driving the engine block with nothing to it, the fuel to take it there and back: 9 hours wasted energy, $40 in fuel

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Update: Dropped off the block 10 days ago at the machine shop, they still have not touched it

I drove 1 hour away from the city in hope of getting a machine shop that has time for me, nope

Now: I need to drive 2 hours to go get the untouched block, what a waste

Please yall talk to me about this:

What would it take for me to DIY this properly?

I do remember wolfman leaving a link for a DIY honing kit but he said it would be best to have machine shop do it perfectly

How about those huge standing drill presses, where I put the block stationary, then come down with the proper 82 mm boring bit attached to it, and it perfectly grinds away at the liner?

That is the machine that they had at their shop, I will try to remember to take a picture of it when I get there

I feel like our money is so worthless, that no matter what I pay, I cannot get anyone to do anything for me since there is no point on their end

How many minutes of labor is it to hone 2 liners if you have the machine?

I was fixing to pay $200 for what I think is 1/2 hour of labor, that is $400/hour, how is that not enough?

Just let me know what it will take to DIY this properly

One machine shop suggested go to harbor freight and they might have the machine/tool
Stick with your 2 hour rural machine shop!
They likely have other work with a higher priority.
If you insist on DIY, you will wind up with something less than a quality repair.