Fixing hole in side of block

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Personally, I find this thread interesting and I hope that Joe will continue it and bring it to a conclusion.

It is his choice to follow or ignore advice that is given. He seems quite good at documenting what he’s doing for others to see, and also not getting too disturbed by comments that another person might feel offended by.

We need to remember that people in Third World countries accomplish a lot in ways that we would never consider using. I’m just saying that things can be accomplished when others think there’s no chance.

edit: I was glad to see that he doesn’t mention using gasoline as a cleaning solvent anymore, and only mentions diesel, which has to be safer than gasoline.

Reactions: 2 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
This project is coming to a temporary halt for the next 2 months (or more)

Thanks to everyone that got me up to this point (you know who you are)

The advice that helped the most: backyard mechanic advice, DIY style thinking

the advice that I had to ignore: "go pay someone to do something for you"

I have exhausted all credit cards, and there many expenses that are mounting: pressing stuff, gaskets of all kinds, shop time, my time/energy/food (most expensive thing)

One idea that I might do (maybe in a month): stream it on tiktok while I do mechanical work, with the cashapp and vemno handle underneath, and if people donate, then I can keep on experiment/documenting/whatever this is

I want to setup a system where: I would be streaming the mechanical process in high definition, and if there is a hold up/problem, whoever says the CORRECT instruction gets paid from the donations

That way, ya'll would feel incentivized to think for me so I can fix the machine/engine/whatever

How I imagine it: you could be taking a huge dump, giving me the reasonable solution, and you'll get a ding that your account just got deposited $$

Meaning, you can get paid while you are taking a dump

I'll figure it out

Otherwise: I cant afford to touch it again until late august/september

I'm fixing to cover everything tarps etc while I figure out the funding

Last edited:

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Something to think about while getting ready to go under the tarps. It is nice and cleaned. Should have some sort of oxidation protection. Gun oil, vaseline, something of the sort so that it doesn't go backwards.

Reactions: 1 user

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, that is one thing that impressed me during this thread….

A constant positive attitude!
That's it in a nut shell! Where there's a Will there's a Way!

Everybody knows we learn by doing and Joe is a great example of doing the best he can under the circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
449387289_859498652751374_1404200972905399210_n.jpg

Yes, I am fixing to yank this 30 ton shop press from someone that has it in storage, very good deal, way better than the harbor freight cheap steel

plan: reveal all the parts again, get ready for assembly, press in the two cylinder liners using the freezer trick and heat the block using torch, use the press to do all miscellaneous pressing to get this project finished

I try to pick up 30 ton press sunday, I'll figure it out

Next chance I get: I put the liners in the freezer for 24 hours, then I try to get the liners into the block by placing a 2x4 on top of the liner, hammer on the 2x4 striking evenly, pushing the liner into the block

If that doesnt work, then I will use the press to push the liners into the block

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I've had a press exactly like that one for over 30 years. A guy in a pickup truck came around selling them one day, I needed one, so I bought it. I have used it a lot over the years, without any problems. I did put a little bend in the plate the jack pushes against at the top, while trying to press a couple of gears off a Roadranger countershaft.

Reactions: 1 user

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
I've had a press exactly like that one for over 30 years. A guy in a pickup truck came around selling them one day, I needed one, so I bought it. I have used it a lot over the years, without any problems. I did put a little bend in the plate the jack pushes against at the top, while trying to press a couple of gears off a Roadranger countershaft.
Yes, this is exactly what I needed to hear

I do not want the new cheap chinese ones that might break, I want real american steel

first, I will try to get the liners in with just the freezer trick: put liners in freezer for 24 hours, get them out of freezer and quickly get them into the engine block using 2x4s and sledeghammer

If that dont work: put liners in freezer, then use press to get them into the block

Getting this press is part of a bigger plan to restore machines, not just these kubotas

Last edited:

jiggseob

Equipment
B6200 HST with Allied loader, Muratori 48" hyd side shift tiller
Nov 12, 2023
Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
When putting a cold liner into the hot block, as soon as the liner touches the block, the heat transfers from block to liner and temperature equalizes in a very short time.
The liner press-in will go nicely for about three inches, then get really difficult. And as those parts equalize in temperature, pressing will take alot of force.
So have your hot-block set on the bed of the press. Have the bed lowered so you can get the liner in and don't have to waste time adjusting stuff.
Wooden blocks will not suffice for pressing the liner. The thin-edge of the top of the liner will cut into the wood. Then when you get 99% of the way in, the liner will be left protruding the amount it cut into the wood. I think you will need to find a piece of 13mm or thicker plate steel to press against the top of the liner.
Make sure your press-jack is filled with fluid so it is capable of all of its stroke, and test that you have enough stroke to press all the way. Nothing worse than pressing 3/4 way in and then scrambling around the shop looking for more spacer to go the last inch.
All the best, its good to see determination and ingenuity at work.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I was working, I used liquid nitrogen to shrink parts for interference fits. (-321F)
Now that I don't have access to LN2 anymore, I use Dry Ice, (CO2 ice, -109F)
A couple of local grocery stores carry it & sell it by the pound.
I get everything set up & make a couple of dummy runs to rehearse my moves.
I place the part needing shrinkage in the freezer for an hour or so. (0F)
I transfer it to a styrofoam ice chest with the dry ice for an hour or so.
When I'm ready, I heat the female part with a torch, usually too hot to touch, but not hot enough to burn any paint off.
When all is ready, I grab the shrunk part with thermal gloves and slide it in the hole easily, and within seconds the parts normalize temp and lock together.
I regularly do .003 interference fits.
It is aways a little nerve racking that it will lock up before I get it seated in place, but so far so good.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes, this is exactly what I needed to hear

I do not want the new cheap chinese ones that might break, I want real american steel

first, I will try to get the liners in with just the freezer trick: put liners in freezer for 24 hours, get them out of freezer and quickly get them into the engine block using 2x4s and sledeghammer

If that dont work: put liners in freezer, then use press to get them into the block

Getting this press is part of a bigger plan to restore machines, not just these kubotas
Ain't nearly a simple as you WANT to believe!

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
🤦‍♂️ here we go again

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
WE aren’t going, only one guy is! And he should be commended for his enthusiasm, regardless of how things turn out!
I was once enthused about swimming the English Channel.
I didn't try it!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Got two new liners in without press

IMG_1590.jpeg

Sprayed diesel on the engine block, hit it with torch, getting it ready to accept liners

IMG_1591.jpeg

took liner out of freezer, got it into position to hammer it down

IMG_1593.jpeg

Using a 4x6 block of wood, hitting block of wood, pushing liner down, block of wood kept digging into the liner, getting stuck like yall said

IMG_1594.jpeg

Having trouble getting it to move, hit it with torch and diesel, and compressed air

IMG_1596.jpeg

Looked through my junk pile, found this front bumper for this tractor, placed rag in between liner and bumper, hammered down onto bumper, slowing pushing liner into block

IMG_1597.jpeg

Making progress, holding bumper evenly on top of liner with left hand, hammered onto bumper with right hand

IMG_1598.jpeg

got the liner almost flush with the engine block, using a wheel spacer from bx1500 to finish pushing liner down

IMG_1600.jpeg

Got the 2nd liner from the freezer, getting ready to hit it with diesel

Got the liner down half way using 4x6 wood block, then finished her off with robust tractor bumper

IMG_1601.jpeg

2 liners into the block, flush, looking smooth

IMG_1602.jpeg

Up close image of the two liners installed

the trick that got them to move the best: held the bumper with my body weight pushing down onto the liner, striking perfectly above it firmly, a controlled firm strike, directly above the liner, you will feel the liner shift down slowly, patiently striking working it down, not hard strikes, just firm strikes

Next steps: save up $ and make appointment to hone the two new liners, start to imagine the rebuild process, finish cleaning the shop and thinking about the next steps, get all tools that are not for this job out the sight, go through all the new parts and get them ready on table, hit everything with compressed air and get all the dust away, put time and energy into the rebuilding plan so I dont make big mistakes, also it will take longer for me to have $ for the press, and that one I was going to get sold, but I know I need press for those connecting rod bushings, I do have 2 new ones that i want to install, tons of little details

I'll figure it out

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Update: Dropped off the block 10 days ago at the machine shop, they still have not touched it

I drove 1 hour away from the city in hope of getting a machine shop that has time for me, nope

Now: I need to drive 2 hours to go get the untouched block, what a waste

Please yall talk to me about this:

What would it take for me to DIY this properly?

I do remember wolfman leaving a link for a DIY honing kit but he said it would be best to have machine shop do it perfectly

How about those huge standing drill presses, where I put the block stationary, then come down with the proper 82 mm boring bit attached to it, and it perfectly grinds away at the liner?

That is the machine that they had at their shop, I will try to remember to take a picture of it when I get there

I feel like our money is so worthless, that no matter what I pay, I cannot get anyone to do anything for me since there is no point on their end

How many minutes of labor is it to hone 2 liners if you have the machine?

I was fixing to pay $200 for what I think is 1/2 hour of labor, that is $400/hour, how is that not enough?

Just let me know what it will take to DIY this properly

One machine shop suggested go to harbor freight and they might have the machine/tool