Who else buys tools/things for the explicit reason of "Because it's too cheap to pass up"?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My trailer won't carry 14k but I can load yours to capacity with "parts tractors" alone.
You are SO considerate, but I no longer have a proper tow vehicle. :D

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't intend to disrespect my elders but I think you should try Hadacol .
It apparently was thought to be good stuff,......back in the day!

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
This will not be fully known until the commission is deducted by the people handling your estate sale. My guess is that the demand for such things will diminish as less people are interested in anything other than their phones. Maybe break even. Go on eBay and search tool lot. Wrench lot...
This reminds me of a neighbor that asked me a few times if I would like to have some boxed ins that were in his way. I found it hard to believe but I was almost certain he had a couple of reclusive sisters he was fed up with and trying to dump them on me. Well one evening he showed while me and my brother were sitting by the fire pit wetting our whistles. He hadn't much more than sat down when he said "I've got those boxed ins in the truck and will leave them here in case you run into some one that wants them". I thought oh heck, and began blubbering something like I,,,I'm sor,,,, sorry but I just don't have room for them and wouldn't know how to take care of them. My brother jumped up and said "I'll take them". The guy went to his truck and returned with a full set of Snap-On wrenches. That was the first time in years I turned anything down that was free but I won't make that mistake again.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
It apparently was thought to be good stuff,......back in the day!
Them fellers holding work for food signs would think it's good stuff if it was still around. The ABV was 12% which is equal to most anything out of Napa Valley and fine Chardonnays.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a '19 BX23S that just turned 200 hours. I'm going to list it on marketplace for $15000. The new one is going to cost about $44,000 with the cab, but look at what I saved by not needing to do the 200 hour service. :cry:

Reactions: 1 users

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Let's see here...

toolbox.jpg

Tools in the shop

matco1.jpg

Tools in the garage

lab1.jpg

Tools in the hobby room

lab2.jpg

Mini machine shop in basement.

No...nope I don't have a problem...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a '19 BX23S that just turned 200 hours. I'm going to list it on marketplace for $15000. The new one is going to cost about $44,000 with the cab, but look at what I saved by not needing to do the 200 hour service. :cry:
An upgrade at your (our) age is absolutely appropriate!:D

Reactions: 1 user

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
That's nice to say considering you don't know the whole story, this is a friend that I've known for over 40yrs. He's been waiting for 6 yrs for a new kidney and hasn't used the equipment for a number of yrs. He was being thrown out of the place he was living and needed money to buy a house. He put it up for sale and I was the first person to give him money, it went to someone that he knows and now if he ever needs a tractor work, he has one that he can use for free. Thanks for the positive comment on something you know nothing about!!
Someone would have bought it at that price. At least now he can borrow it back.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Someone would have bought it at that price. At least now he can borrow it back.
The OP was asking if anyone purchased any thing they didn't need but couldn't pass it up because of the price, I just purchased a new Kabota and wasn't looking for another tractor, it just sits in my garage. I realized it's not the same as buying a couple of wrenches, I've never tried to flip it either, it just sits in my garage becuase it's too much tractor for my property. Some day one of my good friends will want to purchase it and I'll sell it for the same price I paid for it. You're correct, If I didn't get it someone else woul dhave and now it's still in the family. I have a garge full of stuff that I purchased that I didn't need but it was a real good deal.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Too cheap fits me. After driving by a car top rack for a couple of weeks (new neighbors apparently didn't know you have to call for oversized pickup), I stopped one day and it jumped in. After stripping it down, I ended up with 2 pcs of ~1" tubing, 2 pcs of odd extruded aluminum angle and a couple of clamps.

About that time, I saw a rack for those cheap HF storage boxes. I use one for my drills, one for batteries and chargers, etc. I should be able to cut the tubes in half and run 3/4" angle iron front to back, and make a rack to sit on one of my storage rack shelves.
Screenshot_20240913-092415-653.png

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Too cheap fits me. After driving by a car top rack for a couple of weeks (new neighbors apparently didn't know you have to call for oversized pickup), I stopped one day and it jumped in. After stripping it down, I ended up with 2 pcs of ~1" tubing, 2 pcs of odd extruded aluminum angle and a couple of clamps.

About that time, I saw a rack for those cheap HF storage boxes. I use one for my drills, one for batteries and chargers, etc. I should be able to cut the tubes in half and run 3/4" angle iron front to back, and make a rack to sit on one of my storage rack shelves.
View attachment 137520
:LOL::ROFLMAO:😂 You rack reminds me of the baker's rack I scored in trash a few years ago. After I added plywood it looks just like yours. I wouldn't be suspired to find out yours started life in a donut shop before moving up to a better occupation in the mechanic shop. They say one man's trash is another's..................🤗
Stainless steel bus carts I found in dumpster are used dang near every job I do. I often use up to three, one for tools, one for gaskets and new parts and another for nuts bolts and small parts removed. I love to be able to move them in and out and around keeping everything in arm's reach as I work.

Several years ago a private school bought low storages on casters for classrooms thinking how easy it would be to move them while mopping or rearranging rooms. They didn't figure on smaller kids using them as roller coasters and flying jennies. They paid me to remove what amounted to a 5 gallon bucket of steel casters with ball bearings. Casters came to my shop instead of trash then sat around until I got the idea to put them on Stainless steel wire pantry racks ( yep,gottum out of dumpsters behind same bakery as stuff above). Drilled hole for legs in 2"x2"x2" wood blocks, covered hole with flat caster plate then screwed in place. Now I can slide 4x6x6 racks together instead of leaving space to walk between. That opens up floor space for more treasures soon as I can find some.

I must have two afflictions , one can't pass up a bargain and another that won't allow me to pass up any thing that's free. 🥴

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
Absolutely, but after decades of collecting tools, I've found it rare to have a repair or project that I don't have the proper tools for. It's nice not having to stop to go find some rare tool and projects get done much more quickly nowadays. With tool quality having gone down so much in recent years, I'm more inclined to purchase older tools made with high quality American steel (even though I really don't need any more).

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Is that a model of your farm??? HO scale? :love:
Sadly, no. It's largely my imagination and memories from growing up on a small farm in Michigan in the 50's and 60's. 1/64 scale. My "farm" is 4 whole acres in the middle of town...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, I just picked up some of those blue plastic parts bins(Made in Germany). some are 5 by 15, most are 9 by 15.came with lost of dividers. needed to use pallet forks on BX23S as ,well, there are TWO skids of them.4by4by6 ,all wrapped up.......
Not too sure WHY i got them ,as I lost 4by8 space in garage, had to Tetris to get tractor back in, but it was a 'deal'.....free.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
I feel your pain... Still, very nicely done!!! (y)(y)

Sadly, no. It's largely my imagination and memories from growing up on a small farm in Michigan in the 50's and 60's. 1/64 scale. My "farm" is 4 whole acres in the middle of town...