Who else buys tools/things for the explicit reason of "Because it's too cheap to pass up"?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have 4 pipe wrenches 2 "up north" and 2 "down south" and I have files coming out of my "Yin Yang"

My wife and I went "garage sale'ing" the other day and lots of people are nuts on what they want for "used stuff".

Like 100+ dollars for "never used" kitchen faucets that may have missing parts........or old, dirty, used tools for 90% of the new price?

( Heres a hint y'all .....I have the internet too, and I can look thing up as well........If you actually want to 'sell stuff', price it accordingly) ....Rant Off.......

But when I saw these I could not pass them up.

5 bucks......for the combo.

Just too cheap to pass up.

IMG_2734.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I got a 24 inch rigid for 5 bucks at a garage sale.
My neighbor was smart several years ago and hit every small estate sale In the area early in the day. He would pick through any boxes of costume jewelry looking for gold pieces mixed in That could be had for spare change. By the end of the summer he bought a brand new Kubota L3800 with a backhoe using the money made from the gold and diamonds that were mixed in with other jewelry. Many times people just want to clean out the houses and have no idea of the value.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've bought lots of 'one use' tools, like the socket to remove '86 F150 4WD front nuts on the axle. Still have it ,collecting dust for 3 decades.....
I gave local high school about 120#s of brand name tools last fall, as their shops are lacking tools.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
I'm one of those that don't pass up on good deals, biggest purchase was a 562 hr 35 hp tractor, trailer, box scrapper, brush hog and rear blade from a friend that needed money to purchase a house, paid 5K

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
I'm one of those that don't pass up on good deals, biggest purchase was a 562 hr 35 hp tractor, trailer, box scrapper, brush hog and rear blade from a friend that needed money to purchase a house, paid 5K
If it was at a reasonable discount that's great but if it was worth a whole lot MORE that's not being much of friend in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'worth' is subjective......
heck if BOTH sides are happy with the coins, then they both 'won'

First farm tractor I bought for $500, shed stored,both farmer and me were happy. it came with 3f plow,rear blade, loader. yeah it took me 2 weeks to 'unstick' the engine but has run fine for 24+ years.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
If it was at a reasonable discount that's great but if it was worth a whole lot MORE that's not being much of friend in my opinion.
That's nice to say considering you don't know the whole story, this is a friend that I've known for over 40yrs. He's been waiting for 6 yrs for a new kidney and hasn't used the equipment for a number of yrs. He was being thrown out of the place he was living and needed money to buy a house. He put it up for sale and I was the first person to give him money, it went to someone that he knows and now if he ever needs a tractor work, he has one that he can use for free. Thanks for the positive comment on something you know nothing about!!

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
That's nice to say considering you don't know the whole story, this is a friend that I've known for over 40yrs. He's been waiting for 6 yrs for a new kidney and hasn't used the equipment for a number of yrs. He was being thrown out of the place he was living and needed money to buy a house. He put it up for sale and I was the first person to give him money, it went to someone that he knows and now if he ever needs a tractor work, he has one that he can use for free. Thanks for the positive comment on something you know nothing about!!
Never said it wasn't fair. Simple stated that if I knew the fair market value was a whole lot more that I would never take advantage of a friend or anyone else. We all live with our own morals and ethics. Hope your friend has his new kidney and is doing well.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
SOoo RW Scissors , I see the little woman is on your case again😬 for buying things to replace some you already own two of but can't find for all the other 2 and 3 of a kinds piled on top of them. Now you want your brothers in orange to tell her it's normal in hopes she'll give you access to the bank account again. What day will you be selling your stuff to get back on her good side? I want to come see if there's anything too cheap to pass up,,,,,,I can't get along without. 😇

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have 4 pipe wrenches 2 "up north" and 2 "down south" and I have files coming out of my "Yin Yang"

My wife and I went "garage sale'ing" the other day and lots of people are nuts on what they want for "used stuff".

Like 100+ dollars for "never used" kitchen faucets that may have missing parts........or old, dirty, used tools for 90% of the new price?

( Heres a hint y'all .....I have the internet too, and I can look thing up as well........If you actually want to 'sell stuff', price it accordingly) ....Rant Off.......

But when I saw these I could not pass them up.

5 bucks......for the combo.

Just too cheap to pass up.

View attachment 137353
If this pinnacle of evolution that you are describing is scalable, then I have some blood on my hands…definitely guilty.

Scalable for me is a couple categories:
1. I generally try to start shopping for new stuff one or two shopping cycles ahead…what I mean is I buy things when they will go on sale for a future job/need that I am confident I will have (ie. Tree stands, tractor Backblade…it was used but a steal, hydraulic auger and backhoe, and the MX for that matter…not sure I needed at purchase time but for price and need i bought when time was right). I even bought our third property that way .

2. Then there is the category of free…my favorite price, if it has future value to me, I bring a trailer (ie. I had a friend throwing out a whole kitchens worth of granite countertops that were 5yr old…I did not need them at that time but I knew I would be building a barn or cabin…so I dropped a trailer and had the cabinet people load it up with like new granite, same for workbenches shelves etc). Our whole house is filled with hand me downs except our bed and recently a new couch. Most everything 2nd hand.)

3. I really like barter…think used appliances…I’ve gotten multiple fridges and freezers this way for garage / barn…many time people just want them gone, but sometimes they can be traded for summer sausage or something.

No one calls me Sanford, but it’s hard to turn away from a good deal….but it’s for stuff I have a use in mind.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
SOoo RW Scissors , I see the little woman is on your case again😬 for buying things to replace some you already own two of but can't find for all the other 2 and 3 of a kinds piled on top of them. Now you want your brothers in orange to tell her it's normal in hopes she'll give you access to the bank account again. What day will you be selling your stuff to get back on her good side? I want to come see if there's anything too cheap to pass up,,,,,,I can't get along without. 😇
At nearly 84, I've got lotsa stufF I should sell.
Ain't gonna happen.
Ex wife left many years ago.
Never another.
My adult children know that they will just hafta deal with it!

Last edited:

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I am a tool junkie. I have a shop full of tools and some I have never used. It's hard to pass up a good deal on tools. A couple of years ago Lowes had a Christmas deal where you buy two Dewalt batteries for $199 and you got a free tool. Well, I may have gotten a little carried away. But I already owned about every cordless tool Dewalt made so the batteries made sense.

ACDII

Equipment
L4060HSTC-LE, loaded. B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I found it cost less to replace the dual clutch in my wifes Focus if I do it myself and buy the tools required.

Chances of me using the clutch installation tool and clutch reset tool are slim to none, but I got them if I need them. At least the other tools I bought can be used on the farm equipment, like the ball joint press, can be used on U-joints. Wound up needed to buy an engine hoist to reinstall the transmission since I couldnt get the car high enough for a transmission jack, but found it came in handy working on the mower decks. Even bought a plasma cutter thinking someday I may need it, sure enough, used it on several projects, even replacing the struts on the Focus.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
At nearly 84, I've got lotsa stufF I should sell.
Ain't gonna happen.
Ex wife left many years ago.
Never another.
My adult children know that they will just hafta deal with it!
Nearly 84 and children will deal with it ! I need to friend your children on Facebook to make sure I get in on it !!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh wait, I'm 80 so if you are in good shape you might get my stuff before I have a chance to get yours. I think I have the solution. I'll load my trailer with stuff I haven't used in decades, bring it to you and you give me a load to bring home. The kids will still have it to deal with but at least they can't say we been hoarding it for decades.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nearly 84 and children will deal with it ! I need to friend your children on Facebook to make sure I get in on it !!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh wait, I'm 80 so if you are in good shape you might get my stuff before I have a chance to get yours. I think I have the solution. I'll load my trailer with stuff I haven't used in decades, bring it to you and you give me a load to bring home. The kids will still have it to deal with but at least they can't say we been hoarding it for decades.
I've got a 14K trailer!
You got that much trailer capacity? :ROFLMAO: