Fixing hole in side of block

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I will give you props on the patch shapeand fitting. Way more patience than I would have. But the loader will be so damn heavy you won't have any lift left for material

Reactions: 1 user

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Not sure this is worth posting, but…

Somewhat before I was born, I think mid-1960’s, my father bought this Ford that had a long crack and chunk missing from the left side of the block. He rebuilt the engine and glued a piece of steel in the hole with some sort of two part epoxy. In the late 1970’s it started to weep coolant. I was tasked with removing the coolant, wire brushing as needed, and prepping to re-coat with JB Weld. The point was to make it functional and if it looked good or looked like crap was irrelevant. View attachment 136129
First attempt at repair with epoxy lasted about 15 years +/-. Follow up with JB Weld lasted about 45 years +/- and still counting so far as I know.

No telling how many hours my father put on that thing with the epoxy repaired block. I’m confident I put well over 1000 hours on it myself, many of them would be considered abuse by many here as it was used as a skidder quite a bit. Yes, we got rid of it. Didn’t think I would ever part with it but after my father passed I couldn’t stand looking at it every time I went to the shed. Why isn’t relevant. Next to last time I drove it was on this trailer under its own power. Last time I drove it was off the trailer at its new home. It was running as good as ever and not leaking.

Point being, those who suggest epoxying a patch aren’t suggesting some half-a$$ repair that won’t last. Just something to consider. If it doesn’t work you’re out the cost of some JB Weld so it’s pretty low risk.

Braze it. Weld it. Do whatever you want. Hope it works out for you whatever you do.

Edit: BTW, for anyone actually looking at the photos, I’m aware the hood says Ferguson. It’s off a 35 (I think). Expertly fitted with a sledge hammer. It’s a junkyard hodge podge of a machine. Mostly a 9N, though.
Now I've seen it all, 😒 a crossdressing tractor!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You do know all the other welding that you want to do, BH, Loader Bucket, you don't braze those weld you either use Stick (Arc), MIG, or TIG right?

Oleracer

Equipment
B2150 Kubota LA 350 750 Woods S250 Bobcat 300x deere
Jul 18, 2024
CT
What a cluster…. Proves you can lead a horse to water…
🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

• Haha