z421 54" w/ ABI gravel grader

NewbieOrange

Equipment
z421 / ABI gravel grader
Dec 25, 2019
osteen florida
hello all, recently this year I purchased my first Zero turn Z421 54", I also purchased an ABI gravel grader to maintain my dirt road leading to my property. I will be honest this a new world for me and I am a complete novice, a relative of mine who owns a few scags has mentioned to me multiple times this is not the best practice for my zero turn.

as a newbie I was somewhat sold on ABI, by of course ABI ensuring that my zero turn would be more than capable of handling this. Of course my relative is not so sold on it. I would like some input on my fellow owners!

thanks in advance,
Your newest newb!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
NewbieOrange, welcome to the forum. Santa must have stayed up last night at your house!

I am not familiar with the ABI grader, so I went to the site to see what it was. It looks like a well designed piece of equipment, and has good reviews.

We have a zero turn (Grasshopper) and it would pull that implement down a gravel drive just fine. You can adjust it however you want/need to get the job done. Some guys would pull a similar tool behind a tractor. You are simply using what you have, and it will work fine. I'd imagine the more you use it the easier it will be to maintain the gravel, because it won't require a major amount of leveling.

Don't worry about what folks' opinions are about what you should buy after you own it. It's yours, just use it. It will do fine.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum NewbieOrange. :)

Congrats on your new ZTR.

How long is your driveway? Since you didn't list your location in your profile, what type of dirt is it?

NewbieOrange

Equipment
z421 / ABI gravel grader
Dec 25, 2019
osteen florida
NewbieOrange, welcome to the forum. Santa must have stayed up last night at your house!

I am not familiar with the ABI grader, so I went to the site to see what it was. It looks like a well designed piece of equipment, and has good reviews.

We have a zero turn (Grasshopper) and it would pull that implement down a gravel drive just fine. You can adjust it however you want/need to get the job done. Some guys would pull a similar tool behind a tractor. You are simply using what you have, and it will work fine. I'd imagine the more you use it the easier it will be to maintain the gravel, because it won't require a major amount of leveling.

Don't worry about what folks' opinions are about what you should buy after you own it. It's yours, just use it. It will do fine.
Thank you for the input! I am currently deployed, so sometimes Santa is too afraid to come hang out with the boys! :p

NewbieOrange

Equipment
z421 / ABI gravel grader
Dec 25, 2019
osteen florida
Welcome to the OTT forum NewbieOrange. :)

Congrats on your new ZTR.

How long is your driveway? Since you didn't list your location in your profile, what type of dirt is it?
im in Central FL, my dirt road leading the property that is "maintained" by about 9 separate homes is about a quarter mile to my driveway, it is blended of dirt, lose gravel, and blotches of asphalt millings. my driveway that leads off the road to my house just got a new fresh layer of asphalt millings

NewbieOrange

Equipment
z421 / ABI gravel grader
Dec 25, 2019
osteen florida
I'd think it won't have much pulling power( IE light loads only) as ZTRs are 'light' on the grass ??
it digs just about 2 inches into the earth and rips whatever is underneath it, the few times i have used it it seemed like there was plenty of power to rip/move any amount I needed it to