Wood and not only the @#$# PRICES but the quality!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So let me let off some bitchen and moanen..........

Bought a good bunch of 2x products at the local big box store........

a 2x4 @ 12' - needed about 30 of them - and I was going to get ahead so the ol construction class could start making some 12' walls........

WELL as most of ya'll know - typical 12 footer in some dimensional lumber will be slightly longer than the "norminal" size - thus allowing a kerf or two.

SO this whole batch of 30 2x4@12' are all 1/8" on the short side............. yeah I know I can glue and shim a piece on the end....... but DAYUM!!!!

ok - my rant is over ...........

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Welcome to the post apocalyptic world. Going to be years before we start getting back to normal. Box store lumber has not been the greatest for a long time and has been getting even worse. I miss a good old fashioned lumber yard like Hines Lumber and 84.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Welcome to the post apocalyptic world. Going to be years before we start getting back to normal. Box store lumber has not been the greatest for a long time and has been getting even worse. I miss a good old fashioned lumber yard like Hines Lumber and 84.
Our Big Box Lumber Store (Home Depot) sells Lumber from local mills, using local trees, made by local workers.
And they are the same boards you can get at any of the Lumber yards.
One big difference is I can pick which boards I want at HD, I can't pick at the lumber yard.
So in the end HD is a better bet for me.
And Most of the time the prices are actually cheaper at HD than the Lumber yards.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So let me let off some bitchen and moanen..........

Bought a good bunch of 2x products at the local big box store........

a 2x4 @ 12' - needed about 30 of them - and I was going to get ahead so the ol construction class could start making some 12' walls........

WELL as most of ya'll know - typical 12 footer in some dimensional lumber will be slightly longer than the "norminal" size - thus allowing a kerf or two.

SO this whole batch of 30 2x4@12' are all 1/8" on the short side............. yeah I know I can glue and shim a piece on the end....... but DAYUM!!!!

ok - my rant is over ...........
Not sure what you are doing. Are you matching existing structure? If so placing a shim might be the answer. IF NOT, maybe it does not matter.

If it were me, I would just cut a shim to place under the sole plate of a wall. Not sure what I would do if the 2x4 wood was horizontal, but unlikely I would bet.

AND not sure if you have the equipment to produce an 1/8 inch shim 3.5 inches wide anyway. BUT I think there is things like hardboard what would work.

Anyway, I would not shim the end of 2x4s. I would shim the sole plate. Easier and better in my mind.

So how important is that 1/8 inch to you?

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I do have the means to add that little ol 1/8 to make it 144 long....... it is just a pain in the ass to have to fix - each shim is somewhat different - 3/16 here , 1/8 there , 1/16 ........

but I will fix ......... just wanted to vent

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Shouldn't have to fix.
In the old days, if we got shorted we would just return it and get it put right.