Wondering if I screwed up!

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I am kind of taking off from Sheepfarmers post a little while back

A couple months ago I was having trouble uploading pics to a new thread like so many other people are having. It has been the same for me as I had no problem loading pics for years, and now it is a struggle for sure. I resized the pics under 2mb, and still had no luck. I then thought maybe my storage was full, not allowing me to upload as everything seemed right.

So I erased all of the pics in my attachment key to make room as I thought could be the only problem. That didnt work either. Now really frustrated for sure. Then trying different things, I discover that erasing my attachment key erased all of my pics from all of posts since I joined the sight. Now I am extremely pissed as It is alot of work at my age to put all of these threads and pics together!! I never dreamed in a million years that this would delete the pics from my posts. Now all of posts really suffer without the pics in them, and would be impossible to try to put multiple years of pics back in.

At this point I am lost and pm NIW to see if he could help. He got back right away, and said it was beyond him, It was something Mr K. would have to do. After a couple weeks, I didnt hear from anybody,I pm Sean again. He said he passed it on and Mr K would work on it. Sean has been great and done whatever he could to help me for sure. Another week or so goes by and still nothing from Mr K. So I pm Mr K direct almost 2 weeks ago and still have not heard from him.

Not trying to bash the sight, but would be nice to know yes, no, maybe, your screwed, or something I can do to help, anything would be good for me, a long standing member on here.

So if anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them as it would really be disappointing to loose all of those pics.

As a side note, I finally did get my pics uploaded. Running windows ten with their pic program, I resized and saved no go. l then had to go back, take and rotate the pics and then save again, and then they uploaded. I have no idea why, but it worked for me.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Newer systems are going to have more and more problems as google continues to clamp down on all things security. The newer the system is, the more issues it will have on old websites because it does not have all the old cypher's loaded and "out of the box" only supports the newer standards.

In Dec. 2020 Flash will no longer be supported. Google, Mozilla (firefox, Opera, and others), and Microsoft are all rolling it out at the same time. Most in-line scripting and TLS 1.1 will also no longer be supported.

That is when THIS site will STOP working for most users.

Webhosts (it is what I do for work) know this and have been updating background systems for a while now. It actually started a couple years ago with SSL 1.0, SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0 support being dropped. If the server owner that the forum sits on decides to update their PHP to support it ahead of time, the site could go offline sooner than that.

Google Browser changes December 2020

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

Last edited:

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Newer systems are going to have more and more problems as google continues to clamp down on all things security. The newer the system is, the more issues it will have because it does not have all the old cypher's loaded and "out of the box" only supports the newer standards.

In Dec. 2020 Flash will no longer be supported. Google, Mozilla (firefox, Opera, and others), and Microsoft are all rolling it out at the same time. Most in-line scripting and TLS 1.1 will also no longer be supported.

That is when THIS site will STOP working for most users.

Webhosts (it is what I do for work) know this and have been updating background systems for a while now. It actually started a couple years ago with SSL 1.0, SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0 support being dropped. If the server owner that the forum sits on decides to update their PHP to support it ahead of time, the site could go offline sooner than that.

Google Browser changes December 2020

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.
Flash will quit working in favor of what? HTML5? Does this mean less frustration visiting sites on my iPad?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Argh sorry to hear all that. All my computer stuff is old, old Dell Latitude, old scanner etc. The Latitude was maintained by the University, but now I am retired unlikely they will update stuff, and not looking forward to trying to set up something new.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Flash will quit working in favor of what? HTML5? Does this mean less frustration visiting sites on my iPad?
HTML5 plays a role, but it isn't a replacement for flash. There is no need for flash anymore as whatever you wanted to do with it, there is a newer more secure method to accomplish it. I live in a Microsoft world here with Visual Studio, .net and .core. I am not sure what the flavor of the day is on the Apache side.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Flash is not going away it just being disabled by default. Users can turn it on as needed.

The computer / mobile devices world deals with refresh cycles in years.

I work in the industrial control system world where refresh cycles can be in decades.

I am working with some current generation devices that require flash to connect with the embedded web servers and configure. We will need flash player to be around for decades.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Flash is not going away it just being disabled by default. Users can turn it on as needed.

I work in the industrial control system world where refresh cycles can be in decades.

I am working with some current generation devices that require flash to connect with the embedded web servers and configure. We will need flash player to be around for decades.
It's interesting that you mention that. The machine I deal with every day are industrial. They use Siemens Simatic Industrial PC's as the brains. It was all seamless from Windows NT -> Windows XP -> Windows 7, but now they're all Windows 10 and nothing seems to be backwards compatible anymore. Mainly the profibus cards that install into the computer for some reason don't work with Windows 10. These PC's only last 5 - 8 years in an industrial setting that runs 24/7/365. The rest of the machine is good for 25 years (nickel and dime replacement parts along the way). And I can't retire fast enough!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

Sure, but no modern browser will support it. Read up on it, you will no longer be able to enable it like now after the DEC. releases. And Adobe is stopping support for it at that time as well.

As I stated above, this current cycle did start years ago.

Now you can still run an OLD setup to get to OLD gear. I still have a XP box and a Win7 box configured to get on the dinosaur gear. I have some gear in the facility that requires old IE to log onto it, nothing new will touch it.

Flash going away will have no effect on the forum AFAIK. TLS 1.1 will be the killer. I am not sure what the site uses for scripting but that could be affected as well.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
It's interesting that you mention that. The machine I deal with every day are industrial. They use Siemens Simatic Industrial PC's as the brains. It was all seamless from Windows NT -> Windows XP -> Windows 7, but now they're all Windows 10 and nothing seems to be backwards compatible anymore. Mainly the profibus cards that install into the computer for some reason don't work with Windows 10. These PC's only last 5 - 8 years in an industrial setting that runs 24/7/365. The rest of the machine is good for 25 years (nickel and dime replacement parts along the way). And I can't retire fast enough!
Most of the old cards do not "hand shake" with the newer plug and play systems and do not have an "acceptable signature" so the newer systems won't install the drivers. There is usually a registry hack to get around it depending on the card. It is worse on industrial systems where many of the cards were never produced commercially or in quantity.

Your post and the post above is very illustrative as to why you can't depend on COTS (commercial off the shelf) software for embedded systems, for any length of time.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Another web site I frequent, Steve's Nova Site, used to run the same forum software as this site does, but changed to something different last fall. Their reason for changing was lack of proper security features, at least that was what their posts on the subject said.
The new forums are completely different, and not nearly as well laid out.
Looking at the site stats, the traffic has dropped off since the change, as there was a lot of complaints after the change.
I know I don't visit nearly as often, I just don't like the layout and function.

It also looks like that site is owned by the same company as this site is.

VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter St, Suite 901, Toronto, ON, M5V 2H1, Canada

Forum software by XenForo

I certainly hope they don't do the same thing here.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Another web site I frequent, Steve's Nova Site, used to run the same forum software as this site does, but changed to something different last fall. Their reason for changing was lack of proper security features, at least that was what their posts on the subject said.
The new forums are completely different, and not nearly as well laid out.
Looking at the site stats, the traffic has dropped off since the change, as there was a lot of complaints after the change.
I know I don't visit nearly as often, I just don't like the layout and function.

This site is not owned by VerticalScope Inc.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Do you see our confusion on your statement?

Did you mean, as the site, VerticalScope Inc. ?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I don't understand this, why would the site quit working, I see the site using TLS 1.3.
I see that now. A few weeks ago when I ran the tests it was on 1.1.

We don't manage Apache/PHP here so I am not sure how they did the upgrade on the current server using this framework, but there is obviously a work-around. That is great for the TLS issue.

Now to be ready for the changes in the December 2020 browser upgrades.