Wiring......messy.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Im just in the process of having both my starter and alternator rebuilt. Before striping them off I snapped a pic of all the crap hanging off the starter. How hard would it be just to rewire an L245DT? Cause im tellin ya, every line I trace is split to another line that seemingly goes nowhere sometimes??

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Attachments

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Looks like someone has already done a little "work" on that wiring harness from the looks of the ends and etc. The extra paint doesn't help either. I'd try to find a wiring harness diagram from a WSM or Owners Manual. I've found the one that I have for My M4500 to be very accurate and quite helpful when tracing the circuits. My tractor had a bunch of stuff added on that I've mostly removed and I needed to figure out which wires went where. To make matters worse, or at least a little more complicated, the Kubota alternator was "upgraded" to a delco single wire unit, it works great, but there are a few extra wires hanging around under the hood now.

Robert Cleere

Equipment
L175
Mar 31, 2011
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
A total rewire would be a fair amount of work. You WILL need the tools, terminals, properly sized (and correct color if possible) wire, AND a complete schematic. Removing all of the wiring could get you in real trouble if you are not experienced, or if there is a mod to the original wiring that's actually necessary.

If you don't feel very comfortable troubleshooting wiring problems, I'd recommend a cautious and selective approach. If you are worrying about the wiring - inspect and replace ONLY the bad portions one at a time. After replacing a single section, test the function before replacing the next.

Things to look for would include any connections hidden by electrical tape, corroded terminals, butt splices, or twist-on connectors. Use good crimp terminals and a good crimp tool, replace any twist-on's (or worse, twisted together wires) with butt splices, and after making each crimp - do a pull test to insure a good crimp.

campbell8300

Equipment
L245
Mar 17, 2011
Canyon, TX
I hear you, Brunswick. Parts of my wiring looks like a rodent was hankerin' somethin to eat. Dangling bare wires, insulation hanging off.... ugh! I'm planning the same thing, but I agree with Mr. Cleere about a cautious and selective approach. Maybe one circuit at a time. And what about those plastic terminals running into the alternator and such. Mine are looking kind of rough- just hoping they hold together.

Attachments

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Sound advice. Ive got a buddy who is an electrical engineer, and I do have the full wiring schematics from the parts / shop manual but ill take your approach. Plus if it aint broke then dont fix it. Just frustrates me to look at such a mess. Plus, ill be taking my cab off to make some repairs to the metal work and im sure ill have to "clip" a few lines as it has aux lighting etc. speaking of which, can I get quick disconnects for those wires related to the cab?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I also have an L245DT and the wiring is somewhat of a mess. I'm not sure but I suspect that Kubota may have used the same wiring harness in multiple tractors, none of which use all of the wires. That's my only guess as to why there seems to be extra wires that go nowhere.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
All I know is that when disconnecting the starter and alternator there was an aful lot of stuff, meaning connections of all kinds that were rapped in about an entire roll of black tape. It really was messy. Some of the outer casing of the wire just broke and fell apart when I was moving them around too. Not good in my books.

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
If you think that's bad you should see some of the construction equipment I work on (5-10 years of taps,tape,twisties,different wire colors etc). I could spent 1hr to get the part on, and 5+hrs fixing the wiring.I would say remove the electric tape and look for and bad spots first(butt connections with bare wires coming out, twisted wires, worn insulation etc.). bentd the wires around a bit and look for cracking insulation, if it is replace it, if not proceed to step 2.
You could use split loom, or stretch loom (will require the moval of wires to feed through it), repair and bad spots and zip tie or wire clamp it as far away from any major heat source as you can get it. Also tie it everywhere you can the less the harness moves the less rbbing you will have. As for quick connects I use th GM style weather seal plugs, you can buy small "kits" at most auto supply stores. They work well and last for a very long time, you can get them for 1wire all they way up to 10 wire (for more use 2 or more). Hope that helps.

http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml ( just a web page to give you an idea of the weatherpack terminals)

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/BraidedSleeving.php ( web site to see braided wire wraps)

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If you think that's bad you should see some of the construction equipment I work on (5-10 years of taps,tape,twisties,different wire colors etc). I could spent 1hr to get the part on, and 5+hrs fixing the wiring.I would say remove the electric tape and look for and bad spots first(butt connections with bare wires coming out, twisted wires, worn insulation etc.). bentd the wires around a bit and look for cracking insulation, if it is replace it, if not proceed to step 2.
You could use split loom, or stretch loom (will require the moval of wires to feed through it), repair and bad spots and zip tie or wire clamp it as far away from any major heat source as you can get it. Also tie it everywhere you can the less the harness moves the less rbbing you will have. As for quick connects I use th GM style weather seal plugs, you can buy small "kits" at most auto supply stores. They work well and last for a very long time, you can get them for 1wire all they way up to 10 wire (for more use 2 or more). Hope that helps.

http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml ( just a web page to give you an idea of the weatherpack terminals)

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/BraidedSleeving.php ( web site to see braided wire wraps)
Great advice, thank you. I saved both links to my bookmarks. I love the weatherpack terminals. Look like trailer connectors really. Also, the braided cable sleeving was something I was considering. Not that stuff, per-say, but the plastic sort of wire organizers. I like the braided better. And as far as zip ties go......im a bit obsessive. You should see my entertainment set up. All color coded and what not. Wish I had invented them.....If I were smrt and stuff.