Winter Fuel Aditives for the B6000

djmc35

Equipment
4 Kubota B6000's, Cub Low Boy, Sears tractor w/FEL
Jun 19, 2014
Bloomington, IN, USA
Does anybody know where to buy winter additives like anti gel in small quantities? Everything down here is to treat 80 gallons minimum and meant to be used right after the bottle is opened. I only want to ad to 2 gallons maybe 5 gallons at most? What do you guys recommend as a good Winter additive for a B6000? Never had a diesel before and I'm looking forward to the fun in the Snow with the B6000. I'd rather not have my fuel gel. Can they gel while its running in sub zero weather??? One more Question : how cold does it have to get to gel diesel fuel??? Thanks djmc35:)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
DJMC35:

I notice you're in Indiana. Somewhat north of me and I honestly don't know exactly 'how cold' it gets in your area.

With that in mind, I offer the following:

I think diesel gelation is likely an extreme low probability event in your area. There are plenty of other problems that occur that are seemingly attributed to fuel gelling when there may be a different root cause.

Sure, it can happen, I just think not very likely.

Try before winter making certain your fuel filter bowl is clean and fresh filter. If water is trapped in the bowl or filter element a freeze-up can cause problems.

You also mention adding a fuel supplement to only two- to five-gallons at the time. Are you keeping your tank full all winter? A full tank prevents atmospheric moisture from condensing inside the tank and perhaps freezing.

In my area we'll get to zero-degrees F for a few days stretch every year. Some years two or three times a season.

I've not used a specified antigel treatment added to fuel for the same reason you state: large containers, used sparingly; and additionally, even with our temps, a special-order item, especially in smaller quantities. And, I've never thought it absolutely necessary.

In hard winter I keep my tanks full and use a mixture of (1) Stanadyne (2) SeaFoam (3) Sta-Bil each added to the tank at twice the recommended dose. Others on this Forum over time have responded that this approach is overkill. Perhaps so. Cheap insurance however. I tend to use Stanadyne year round and a slug of Sta-Bil if I can't use my bulk tank--fuel stored under pressure--completely in about 45-60-days.

Never had a gellation problem, never had a freeze-up. Combined with a lower-radiator hose heater and a battery tender, our machines have always started when needed.

I'm curious how you decide to proceed and if you find a ready source for small quantities of anti-gel material as others here have reported the same problem of availability. Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

GrumpySnipe

Equipment
2014 L3560-HST, FEL, 62" Commercial Snowblower, 84" Rear Blade w/Hydraulic Angle
Dec 27, 2013
Cheboygan, MI
I have had great results with Stanadyne Winter 1000 and Power Service Diesel Kleen in my L3560 down to -25 degrees and below. Both of these products are available at my local TSC, auto store or on-line. I typically purchase the 250 Gallon size treatment bottle and keep an old measuring cup in the garage when I need to add the recommended amount to my bulk tank or Jerry-Can.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Everything down here is to treat 80 gallons minimum and meant to be used right after the bottle is opened. I only want to ad to 2 gallons maybe 5 gallons at most?
I guess I'm doomed & so is my tractor. I use the Power Service white bottle anti-gel + cetane boost all year long. All of my fuel is kept in two 5 gallon jugs and I treat just before I take them to fill up. I used my first bottle of Power Service for around 2 years before I ran out. I've had no fuel problems Winter or Summer. I don't sweat that the bottle has been opened.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have purchased fuel in the last 30 days it's probably got all the winterizing additive you really need. It's the same product the over the road truckers and farmers use. They can't be running fuel with flowing problems. Keep your tank full. Add chemicals others have suggested if it puts you at ease. Most important for winter is glow plugs that work, battery with plenty of CCA along with your fuel.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does anybody know where to buy winter additives like anti gel in small quantities? Everything down here is to treat 80 gallons minimum and meant to be used right after the bottle is opened. I only want to ad to 2 gallons maybe 5 gallons at most? What do you guys recommend as a good Winter additive for a B6000? Never had a diesel before and I'm looking forward to the fun in the Snow with the B6000. I'd rather not have my fuel gel. Can they gel while its running in sub zero weather??? One more Question : how cold does it have to get to gel diesel fuel??? Thanks djmc35:)
I use Stanadyne and yes you can use part of the bottle at a time, just keep the bottle sealed, it's not like it's a carbonated drink or a bottle of wine that goes bad sitting. ;)

Diesel can gel anywhere from 17.5F to -10F or even lower depending on the blend, yes they can gel while running, doesn't even have to be sub zero for it to happen.

We get pretty cold up here, and I've not gelled one of my tractors yet. ;)