Winch ?

ADK4WD

Jul 21, 2016
New Hampshire
I have a used Warn winch - 9000lb in good condition and thinking of having it installed on tractor [MX5800 4WD w/FEL] might be handy if (when) I get stuck. Anybody use one? I know I could accomplish same basic recovery w/come-along but since I already own the winch -- just wondering if it "makes sense"?
Appreciate any thoughts - especially from those that have used one on a tractor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The idea is solid - most of the time, the placement is the hard part. Is it possible to mount between FEL and front bumper? Fabrication is usually needed to make a bracket of front.

Hell yeah - if I had one, I would not allow it to sit on the bench!

gplouchard

Nov 29, 2016
Posey county, Indiana,US
I have a winch on 2" receiver mount and a quick connect made out of 2 gauge jumper cables. I use as portable on any vehicle. If you have a place to mount a reciever?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

greenb69

Mar 3, 2017
Coshocton ohio
I used a come-a-long once on my PK and got a winch next time in town. I have gyro on the PK but mounted the winch up front to lift a bucket and blade with at times. Get one. You won't regret it and you will find any number of things to do with it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ADK4WD

Jul 21, 2016
New Hampshire
I like the idea of mounting Winch on 2" receiver hitch - will allow me to use w/my truck also. It wouldn't require it being on the tractor all the time either - just walk back to the house and get it when needed (then lug the 100lb. mother to the Tractor!)...good exercise and will teach me Not to get stuck!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Keep a snatch block with it. You want at least double the capacity for the weight of the tractor, and when you factor in how much drag you could create with the tractor sunk to China, you may need more than 9,000 lbs.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I like the idea of mounting Winch on 2" receiver hitch - will allow me to use w/my truck also. It wouldn't require it being on the tractor all the time either - just walk back to the house and get it when needed (then lug the 100lb. mother to the Tractor!)...good exercise and will teach me Not to get stuck!
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having it on the tractor?
I have a 5k lb winch on my L3800. The biggest problem was one already mentioned, clearance between the the loader and the hood. On my model my hood opens up and forward so I had to account for that. It clears my loader within an inch with a hawse fairlead. I also carry a snatch block.
First time I got my tractor stuck, and when I decided I needed a winch, I stalled out a warn 8k on a single line pull. It was buried up to the floor boards.

ADK4WD

Jul 21, 2016
New Hampshire
BCP - while an 18,000lb winch would be better - I already own a 9000 and trying to get some use out of it vs. it stays sitting on my garage floor. Had it mounted on my '04 F150 and rarely ever used it...so little use that I didn't bother to mount it on my '14 Silverado. Know that the "one time needed" could make the purchase worthwhile but in 12+ years that day is yet to come - and I drive off road, hunting, across fields, logging roads etc.. I'm sure more likely to get my tractor stuck and planning accordingly. A come-along and recovery straps are a given.