Will a b6200 fit the bill?

burhead

Aug 17, 2015
sioux city ia
Hi all, looking for some more advice. Looking for a tractor to maintain my 2 acre slice of heaven. Originally looked at a 4310 that seemed like a great deal but it is at the top of my budget (9500) and that would leave me no money for any incidentals. It is probably too much tractor for what I am doing any way,

I have found a 1988 b6200 hst 4x4 with what seems to be everything I am looking for. It has 1100 hours, turf tires, loader and power steering. I have about an 1/8th-1/4 acre of timber that needs cleaned up. So I would like to run a bush hog occasionally, skid some small trees, and grade the area. I would also use this tractor with the loader and back blade to move snow and keep my 150' driveway maintained. The tractor doesn't have a mower but does have the capability.

The tractor is a one owner and the owners father meticulously maintained it (according to the owner) and it appears to have lived an easy life of mowing and snow removal. Asking price is 4900 and I would have to find a mower deck if I chose to mow with it (not a major selling point but something I would consider). He says he has all service records and manuals.

My only real concerns is if the mower could run a 5' bush hog or a tiller and how long one could expect the motor to last. Is 1100 alot of hours on one of these? Thanks for any input.

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Burhead, I am new at this but here is a link to a page where you can download the owners manual http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/
According to the specifications a rear mower of 48 inches is what it is supposed to run and a tiller of 42 inches. On the hours I'd say no 1100 is not many hours for a diesel but I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable will have better answers for you.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Burhead.:) Like Jim said, 1100 hours is not that much if well maintained but with only 15hp, you can't use a 5' bush hog.

burhead

Aug 17, 2015
sioux city ia
OK thanks for the replies. My last tractor was 185 lo boy rated about the same hp. They came with a 5 ' belly brush hog. I need er did run one, just ran a finish mowe. So has anyone used the 4' brush hog on one of these? Not really sure how often I would use it but it would be nice to keep that timber area trimmed down.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
1100 hrs is nothing in tractor world. Those older tractors are built like brick shithouses. I think a 5ft brush hog might be a little bit much, but you could probably get by with it as long as you go slow. I think the real problem with a 5ft hog would be lifting it. That would be the question. I wouldn't think a 4ft brush hog would be much problem at all. For 2 acres I would think a tractor like this would be plenty. I'd like an L for my 10 acres, but realistically I don't need it, my 7100 does everything that I need it to do. I bet if you search on youtube for B6200 you'll end up with alot of videos of people doing surprising things with the little tractor. They're crazy powerhouses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-i5UKXxor0

Last edited:

JosephC

Equipment
2008 BX2660, 2005 ZD21,2000 B2400, 1995 B7200,2005 B7800
Apr 20, 2011
North Central Pennsylvania
I just want to voice my opinion on the matter of a B6200. My father owned a B 6200 geardrive and had no problem with a 4ft brush hog. He used to mow about 5 acres at least 4 to five times a year plus brush hog off a number of horse pastures for a couple of people. The only real issue he had was the front end got a little light and he put 4 hangon weights on the front then ther was no more issue. He bought a Woods 4 ft brush hog in 1987 and I still have it to this day and use it on the wifes BX2660. As far as I am concered the gromming mower that I would buy is a Woods three point 48'' as the B6200 does not have the horsepower or Torque to run anything any larger without overreving and causing damage to the tractor. I have B 7200 and I run nothing larger than 54" mower on it

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Hi burhead, welcome to OTT!

Everything that's been said is dead on. 1100 hours is great -- nicely broken in, ready for a long life of dependable service. JosephC makes a good point about balance -- with a big brush hog or any kind of mower or tiller of any size and weight, you need weight on the front. Keeping the loader on while mowing will serve that need very well. If the area you're mowing is cut up and too close to easily turn, you'd likely want to add "suitcase weights" to the front.

The only thing I'd change on your rig is the tires -- turfs are great when doing finish mowing on nice lawns, but for getting out in the timber, doing loader work, etc, I believe you'll be better served with Ags.

Best wishes in your search, and please keep us posted on your progress and decisions!