Wierd mystery out in my shop !!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have it in stock in the garage and I know it works but never tried it. not that big of a deal so far. I re-key'ed the place today just incase but I have convinced myself it was not a person but since I did not know the key history I thought it best. I am getting ready to change some insurance around to cover my shop tools in this new location away from home and start moving all my fabrication equipment in there in the next couple of weeks.
I just had to do a rider policy on my home owners insurance to cover my tools at work. We had a break in at work and a brand new truck stolen. I'm really thankful they didn't get my tools. That would have hurt like hell to replace them all. Had to take photos, itemize every thing, serial numbers and models numbers on any of the kits. Took the better part of a saturday to go through the whole tool box, and work truck. Estimated value about made me choke!!! You don't realize how much is there till you go through it all.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Sounds like you have an invader in the shape of little guy wearing a raccoon fur coat.

Yes, a 'coon will dirty cat water dish and return for all the cat food it can get.

If live trapping be aware a 'coon will bite smooth through ANY glove including a welder's leather glove. I know this because after being bitten I've been on a first name basis with our state epidemiologist while the now-used animal was being tested for rabies.

The absolute best trap is called a 'Dog Proof Coon Trap'. It's a tube the animal has to reach down into to get the bait, grabs the trigger, and the trap snaps on his hand.

Use chain on the earth-prong on the bottom of the trap, stick the trap vertically in the soil, and tie the chain to something that won't move.

CAUTION make the chain short and clear an area so the trapped 'coon can't grab anything else so he can't pull himself out of the trap with his free hand.

In two years I've cleaned out 27 upland 'coons with this trap.

Use small marshmallows for bait and drip a few down into the tube on top of the trigger. Use trappers dip the marshmallows in anise (licorice) flavoring.

Please post back and share your continuing experiences combatting 'coons.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Yep, Duke's dog proof coon traps. I get 'em from Eppler fur in PA. There are videos on youtube on how to set and use them. You'll never catch a dog or cat in them. I use some sardines in oil, with a marshmellow wedged in , to hold the bait in. It helps to take some of the oil, and place it in a direct line, to the trap, about 4' off the ground, on trees or bushes. A little scent goes a long way...

Once you catch 'em, shoot them with a .22 from a safe distance, don't get the blood on you...

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I have a good raccoon story involving a dog officer my buddy is related to...We joke around about him because he thinks he's a cop and even got fired for it lol... Anywho....

A guy I used to work with owned an apartment building.... He had this coon breaking into the dumpster and spread the trash everywhere!! One day I happened to be riding home with him and he stopped to see if he could find him, I was interested! Low and behold we caught it red handed and trapped it in the dumpster. He always carries, but we figured we should give a call to the police before firing one off seeing it's in a very populated area. So they sent the dog officer.

He showed up and we asked what we should do with it and can we kill it, if not could he? :pHe replies... I can't kill it unless I suspect that it has rabies, and they don't let me carry a gun... (Thank god!) He continues... The law won't allow you to shoot it either....

So we asked.... What the hell can we do then? We don't want to get anywhere near that thing!

He says.... You can drown it! So...you can't shoot it, cops can't, we can't, but we can drown it and kill it slowly?!?!?

So we gave it the hose! He was a hell of a swimmer, splashed around for a long time! :p

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
More on setting a scent line when using the dog-proof coon trap...

I don't use sardines because it draws cats; won't catch 'em but they spend a lot of time hanging around and pawing the trap tube.

Use a few dozen mini marshmallows and run a line on the ground out from the trap just 20-30-ft. Coon intercepts line of marshmallows and follows to trap. Works like a charm.

The only other thing is that sometimes a skunk will come along and vacuum up the marshmallows.

For the first time ever just last week I caught a skunk in a tube-type coon trap. Surprised both of us. What a mess.

Regarding converting coon into slighly used status: try a .22 CB powderless cartridge. Head shot. Much less damage and splatter. Won't work in semiauto as too weak to cycle the action.

I have heard of a guy in our area trying to kill a trapped coon with a stick by beating it. Not something I'm interested in, but he tried it. The coon got so mad he apparently broke off his foot and pulled out from under the spring and swarmed up the guy. Folks, a coon will kill a dog. I can't imagine having one crawl up me when highly agitated. Which I too would be shortly thereafter.

Please continue posting back with your continuing experiences that we may all learn.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Old english, now days, they would charge someone for cruelty to animals :eek: Couple folks around here have been dragged into court over similar circumstances. Not a one of them has had jail time, but they've walked out with some big fines. The way the law reads in these parts, as long as it is "humane" and "doesn't suffer", and is doing "damage or harm" to you, your animals or property. In other words, bullet to the head and hope some yuppy activist doesn't see it flop for a bit :mad:

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I have only re-keyed the shop for now and monitoring the cats water. If I see another occurrence I will follow the trapping advice. Worth noting the cats food was gone and it usually is not but there was a large bag near by in a slop sink that was untouched. I assume they have a keen sense of smell ?? Would you have expected them to not have found this since down in the sink and out of site ??