Which M7040 am I driving?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I do a little volunteer work at a horse rescue place. Mostly manipulating manure, but the pastures are getting out of hand so the other day I thought I'd do something about it. They have an M7040 with FEL and brush cutter that I've used a little. My question is how can I tell if it has synchro-shuttle or hydraulic-shuttle transmission? The head lady uses the foot clutch for all shifting. I asked her about it and she said she's just used to using the clutch. My L35 has the glide shift and I'm still trying to wean myself off the foot clutch like everybody here recommends. So I'm trying to figure out what I'm driving and the recommended procedure. I found an online operator's manual, but it was Australian and I'm not sure if the models are the same. It had almost nothing about shifting and clutching, anyway. Help

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Take a picture of the serial number and model number. Then call a dealer. That way you will know for sure.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Easy question to answer.

Study these two illustrations and note that the synchro does not have a guard around the shuttle lever whereas the hydraulic shuttle does.
forum M7040 shuttle synchro.jpg

forum M7040 shuttle hydraulic.jpg

On the hydraulic shuttle models there is no clutch in the traditional sense of a disk and pressure plate.

On the synchro shuttle there is a conventional clutch.

On the hydraulic shuttle models the clutch pedal is just operating an electric switch in the same way that the hydraulic shuttle is controlled by two electric switches.

forum M7040 shuttle models.jpg

Dave

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks guys. Next time I'm out there I'll check the nameplate. There is definitely a guard on the shuttle lever but the clutch sure feels like a conventional. If it is hydraulic, can all shifting, gear/shuttle/range, be done clutchless?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Get the tractor's ID then google an operators manual. It would make running the tractor so much easier if you have the knowledge first hand.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks guys. Next time I'm out there I'll check the nameplate. There is definitely a guard on the shuttle lever but the clutch sure feels like a conventional. If it is hydraulic, can all shifting, gear/shuttle/range, be done clutchless?
Although the clutch pedal on a hydraulic shuttle feels conventional it is not doing any mechanical action.

See the damper disk on the following.

It looks like the center of a conventional clutch plate and is bolted to the flywheel.

It incorporates the springs found on a conventional clutch disk to damp out drive line vibrations.

forum M7040 damper disk.jpg

There is no point in using the clutch pedal under most circumstances as you are just opening or closing an electrical switch

Dave.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
[QUOTE="Dave_eng, post: 406294,There is no point in using the clutch pedal under most circumstances as you are just opening or closing an electrical switch

Dave.
[/QUOTE]

Dave, I looked through the parts diagrams for the hydraulic shuttle. The clutch pedal is linked through a cable to a lever and shaft that goes into the trans case near the shuttle valve. I don't see a switch. Is it possible that this shaft modulates the clutch hydraulic pressure?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
[QUOTE="Dave_eng, post: 406294,There is no point in using the clutch pedal under most circumstances as you are just opening or closing an electrical switch

Dave.

Dave, I looked through the parts diagrams for the hydraulic shuttle. The clutch pedal is linked through a cable to a lever and shaft that goes into the trans case near the shuttle valve. I don't see a switch. Is it possible that this shaft modulates the clutch hydraulic pressure?
[/QUOTE]

You are correct and my description of the traveling clutch operation is wrong.

The clutch action for both the shuttle and traveling clutch action all involve the same two clutch packs but hydraulically controlled not electrically controlled I do not think the modulating action is accomplished with the pedal but rather within the clutch pack design Howver, I could be wrong on this detail also.

Sorry if I have confused anyone.

Dave

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
No, only the hydraulic/direction reversal lever can be changed clutchless.

Use the clutch for gear and range shifts. Come to complete stop before shifting ranges.

Theoretically, a hydraulic shuttle tractor can be shifted between F/R at speed but such is abuse and should be avoided. Common sense is advised.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks again guys. Now it makes sense. I didn't want to be grinding gears. Might get demoted to trimming and it's too dang hot for that.