What's to Small, B5100DT

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380FEL, Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Hi all, have a B5100DT, oh like it says. was wondering what's to small of pto HP to use a PTO chipper / shredder. Mind is rated/about 10hp I currently have and using an earlier Mighty Mac 12p (12" FW with Hammers) 4" controlled by a clutch belt system which is helping control of windblown tree bows and other pruned fuel around the buildings but I'm beginning to lose battle, these past couple years. I also have 1/2 acre that I planted back early 80's with firs as a stand area and I'd like to go in in sessions and clear up some of the down scrub trees (cherry, alders and ...) just a little land management. I'm pretty well controlling up around building and have a good field distance (never far enough when Mother Nature raise her hand)) to down unused wood debris on ground. Sorry for carrying on, but I do have housing development neighbors. in a corner of my place with a 15-acre green belt.
I the end, could I add a priced right, used PTO and be able operate effectively, or will it possibly shorten it's continued working tractor life, are there ones out there that I can turn at 540 or 1000 PTO rpm speeds, most are operating 540.
Or is it best for efficiency, a tow behind 6", 24hr-8 working rental and turn it back in when done or taking break. downside would have to handle extra steps. just want to remove some of the snag that are being created and game trails will most be in tack.
From a retired guy, with a little time, to a point o_O :cool:

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I'd think that your tractor should run a MacKissic (Mighty Mac) TPH 122 off the PTO on the 3ph. It's Category 0. I ran it on my 18.5 hp JD 4010, 24.5 hp JD 1025R and 24.5 hp JD 2025R. You just need the TPH (three point hitch) model.

Because it's category 0, it would probably fit really fine on your 5100DT.

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380FEL, Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Thanks for input, I looked at these a few times over the years before i even owned my tractor. It the same specs as my 12P, except cat. I , PTO. I did see a used Bear Cat Model 73554 for 1500.

I did call local Big Box, HD and can rent 25 hp, 6" self-feeding for 299. for 24 hours (a good workday)
Good find on the Mac. but Like I found mine decades ago you get one and they won't let go of, they pass them on.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
See if you have any rental places nearby. I think the local one rents the 25 hp chipper for less than that. I think I rented one over night (late afternoon until 0800 the next morning) for about $140.

BonnySlope

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
See if you have any rental places nearby. I think the local one rents the 25 hp chipper for less than that. I think I rented one over night (late afternoon until 0800 the next morning) for about $140.
HD is the closes for 299. and what the rep said no run timer just a flat 24 hour rent. I did see a couple for less 160. but had a run timer at 8 hrs per 24. and had to travel 22 miles
Next they have something I can't fab or alter I'll look at unite and verify unlimited run time in 24 hr. point.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. rent for the day ,but can only use for 8 hrs ? Man times have changed ! No way I'd rent like that. HD sounds 'old skool' and the way to go. Preprep the spitting area,organize and get 2-3 other 'pairs of helping hands' THEN get the machine. 3 man crew can easily split a LOT of wood over a 10-14 hr 'day',even with several breaks. Don't worry about neatly stacking it, just lift,split,toss. take turns of course ! The idea is to maximize the splitting. You can clean up later...
Depending on amount of splitting you have to do,every year, it may be economical to BUY a selfpowered splitter. Say yrs @ $300= $1800. Does that BUY a splitter ? If so, it give you the ability to split when you want, as much as you want AND frees up the tractor to do other chores.