What’s the advantage of concealed carry over open carry?

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I lived in Houston 21 years and never saw anyone open carrying. Maybe things have changed since 1995? I've only seen one in 28 years in west Tennessee.
Perhaps it wasn't Houston then. But it was Texas. I see some open carry here. But maybe only five times a year. The last open carry I saw was at a convenience store. I young woman with a belly and a belly band holster being worn on the outside. Unfortunately my phone was in the truck. No photo.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Montana no longer requires a concealed carry permit, but I and many others still have them since it allows CC in some other states, and for those without an FFL, it makes purchasing a firearm easier as well.

I have never open carried except while hiking, and have never cared about "printing" when carrying concealed. When I'm out and about I never open carry mainly for the reason already stated i.e. the element of surprise in the event things go bad.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
A lot of this depends on WHERE you will carry.

Here in Nevada, it is no big deal. Last time I was in Walmart there were several people - including couples - openly packing. But then it was 100 degrees outside and so who would be wearing a jacket or loose bulky clothing? No one was paying them any attention as it is pretty much expected everyone around here is packing. Try open carrying in a big city back east or in California and someone will call the cops on you whether or no you are legal.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Be careful. Lot of states open carry becomes concealed carry when you sit in your car and close the door. Hence need Cc permit.
Here in MI, that "could"include sitting on a bike/motorcycle/trike.

The law is very ambiguous, but in general sitting "on" bikes/motorcycles/trikes with a concealed pistol, is not recommended if you do not have a CPL.

I have no problem with OC, but I do not do it in general.

I am team "Element of Surprise".

Tpack

Equipment
Kubota L3901/4x4/525 FEL /1260 Cutter
Aug 22, 2015
Stephenville
I lived in Houston 21 years and never saw anyone open carrying. Maybe things have changed since 1995? I've only seen one in 28 years in west Tennessee.
I agree. Been in Texas my whole life and never seen a person open carry. I believe most smart gun owners will not open carry. I will also say that if someone is open carrying, they are probably a little different from most gun owners.

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I agree that …. IF you want to be the FIRST TARGET by an Armed Offensive Actor… then All You Have to Do ….is advertise that You are open-carrying a weapon.

Here’s the deal…IMO…..and a TRUE STORY: Open Carry states are like “constitutional-carry” states…. You wanna carry a gun..?? go for it….just keep it out in the open where we can identify you.

But “concealed carry” states (usually) require licensing…which includes educational courses for the would-be-carrier…such as “conflict-resolution” and the legalities involved when the weapon is used.

BUT…. if you are licensed to CC in your Home State… You are also free to carry your concealed firearm an Many Many other states which have reciprocal agreements…..

PERSONAL TRUE STORY: I was a Texan in AR and visiting Mountain Home, AR enjoying the Blue Grass Musical environment in that sweet town with my wife.
A NUT-CASE oriental woman was LOUDly talking on her cell-phone in some cantonese/mandarin/etc dialect in LOUD voice…. completely, RUDELY, and without care….. Interrupting the musical-group performers who tried to carry-on… Her little boy was wildly running around screaming for attention..but she ignored him continuing to SHOUT into her phone…completely destroying the musical concert. It became so bad…wife and I decided to leave the street-concert and go get an ice cream cone down the street.

AS I walked past her, while she was still screaming into her phone, I said in a low voice “You know, You could do that somewhere else…” …and cont’d with my wife toward the ice cream shop.

This crazy woman began to stalk me shouting at me, “YOU NO LEAVE! YOU RACIST! YOU HATE CHINESE! WHO GIVE YOU PERMISISON TO TALK TO ME? YOU NO HAVE PERMISSION TO TALK TO ME! I CALL POLICE! YOU NO GO ANYWHERE! I CALL POLICE! YOU RACIST!

We ignored her and went to stand in line at the ice-cream parlor for our ice cream…while She continued to closely follow us with her tirade for the next 10-15 mins.

Two police cars arrived… a male officer who took her aside and began an interview with her.

The female officer approached my wife and I and inquired about the confrontation.

I had my little Ruger LCP under my shirt-tail, and as I describe how we had left the musical-venue across the street to come to the ice cream parlor …this little woman followed us, screaming at me and demanding I ”not leave”…etc etc.

As I was armed…. I gave my version to the AR city police officer, …and I handed her my Tx Dr License and my Tx Concealed Carry permit . The officer Thanked me and stated she was going to her patrol car and would come back in a moment. I nodded “OK”…. as I knew what she intended to do….
1- Confirm the validity of my Dr-Lic….and my LTC (License to Carry) ….and ..
2-Check NCIC to see if I were wanted for anything in any jurisdiction. (I think I paid a parking violation back in ‘85.)

A few minutes later she returned and handed me back my DL and LTC and Thanked Me for my co-operation…. she then approached the other officer…. and they took the little crazy woman into custody.

The POINT BEING…. that if you have a CCP ….you may carry in reciprocal state jurisdictions.

BUT…..

If you rely Only upon YOUR state’s “open carry” or “constitutional carry” laws….. You may NOT carry concealed in other jurisdictions.…and may not carry openly either.

Open-carry / Constitutional Carry in most states Do Not provide Important Education as to personal defense legal issues…OR… conflict resolution. The typical citizen who relies upon his state’s Open carry statues is at a Serious Legal DisAdvantage as opposed to most CC certification courses.

Get the education… Get the certification to Carry-Concealed… if you truly believe in 2nd Amndmnt and you and your family’s security. (In my opinion as a Liberal.)

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a federal law that was enacted in 2004. LEOSA allows qualified active and retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed firearms nationwide, regardless of state or local laws.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
August 9th here in MainAforina the three day waiting period goes into affect when purchasing a firearm. I had a gift card from a trading post in southern Maine so I figured I'd go this morning and buy some hardware, possibly my last gun I ever buy(possibly). But I had looked online they had the ruger LCR-X in .22 wmr. So that's what I was after. 3" barrel and a nice fitting rubber grip which is long enough to hold your three fingers nicely.
But anyway while I was there waiting on the firearms form to be processed and walking around there were two chinese gentlemen in the long gun Isle. Picking up and holding long guns and talking chinese. They arrived at the registration counter while I waited and the older man like 80 was buying the gun. A fine browning semi auto. The younger man like 40 was translating the federal form to the older man in Chinese and the older guy was on the computer making it out.
The woman at the desk asked him what he was doing. She said he can't read the form ??? Hold on.
The manger said we need two witnesses to sign off the older man filled out the form on his own. Off he went comming back with two customers to watch the men and the form being made out.
The gun buyers were from Providence Rhode Island they said. And the two customers had to sign a paper with full addresses and phone when it was over. A very very odd situation to say the least.
Nothing in today's world would I ever of agreeded to do.

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Everything is ok until something happens with that gun and the government comes looking for the person that sold it. He explains that they were speaking Chinese and he has no idea what they were saying, but one spoke English and the other didn't. If he can't speak English and he can't fill out the form, then he shouldn't have been allowed to buy the gun.
We really need to make English the law of the nation so people will learn to speak the language of the country. Just about every other country has made their language that is commonly spoken.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I won't open carry because I don't want anyone else to know I am armed.
It really depends on where I'm at and the situation for me feeling the need to carry.

I've opened carried when we were having issues with some aggressive stray dogs and I was out walking my pooch.

If I'm out in public, I'll conceal carry to avoid someone panicking.