What type of grease???

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What type of grease are you using on your tractor. My BX23S had everything greased with red grease, but I don't know what brand it was. In the past, I used molybdenum disulfide grease on everything on my old tractor when it was new, and when I ran out, I just started using what ever I had handy, on the assumption that something is better than nothing. Never had to replace any pins, u-joints, or any other moving parts. 60+ years ago, mechanics would say that grease was grease, and they were all the same. I know that times have changed, and I see some tubes of grease costing $20 or more. I needed grease for my grease gun, and I bought a couple of tubes of Valvoline tacky red grease for the tractor. I have always felt that oils were more important than grease, and never skimped on the quality of the oils I use in my engines.

RussD*

Equipment
Kubota L2501, box scaper and grooming mower
Mar 12, 2021
Dallas, Oregon
Hey Rusty, I am using Lucas X-Tra Lithium Grease for the grease gun. A bit over $4 for a 14.5 ounce cartridge. I bought based on superb reviews. Just my two-cents. It will be interesting to see what others are using as well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm still using whatever came with my BX23S 3 years ago. Bought a new gun JUST for it,small area of garage is ONLY Kubota 'stuff'.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What type of grease are you using on your tractor. My BX23S had everything greased with red grease, but I don't know what brand it was. In the past, I used molybdenum disulfide grease on everything on my old tractor when it was new, and when I ran out, I just started using what ever I had handy, on the assumption that something is better than nothing. Never had to replace any pins, u-joints, or any other moving parts. 60+ years ago, mechanics would say that grease was grease, and they were all the same. I know that times have changed, and I see some tubes of grease costing $20 or more. I needed grease for my grease gun, and I bought a couple of tubes of Valvoline tacky red grease for the tractor. I have always felt that oils were more important than grease, and never skimped on the quality of the oils I use in my engines.
Ol adage - any grease is better than no grease may still be somewhat true, but - any currently sold grease is probably better than an old grease from the 80's that is laying in the shed.

I have used Amsoil grease and Lucas red and tacky - the amsoil is great stuff, but I swear it makes more of a mess than the red and tacky does when it oozes out. AND yes I do have a problem with too much @#$%@#$# grease when I grease those zerks. I use a pneumatic grease gun and lock-n-lube tip and when you hit the trigger, grease moves, I figure if the old is coming out the new is going in!

I am sure one can over grease - other than making a mess, it has to be better than never greasing!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
In today's world, I doubt that there is a "bad" grease, but some are more adapt for particular applications than others. I am content to use a red high pressure grease on everything.
IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

NLGI#2

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The age old grease question. You will get lots of responses with lots of different answers. As it has been pointed out, most modern grease are fine. Generally, you are going to one to pick one grease and use it and not switch from type to type to prevent any issues with compatibility.

The key take away is just to make sure that you are using the grease. Keep the tractor greased and it will help reduce the chance of wear issues and problems.

The grease I use is Kubota: 14oz High-Performance Polyurea Multi-Purpose Grease, Part # 70000-10701 (messicks.com)

Yet, there is a lot of good grease out there, just use whatever you pick.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
All I use for everything is Lucas Oil X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease. Buy it by the 10-pack case from Amazon for a better $/tube rate.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
That Kubota grease looks pretty much the same as the Lucas X-Tra HD grease.
All-purpose, polyurea thickened, shear stable compatible. The $6 US sticker for the Kubota grease is close to the $9.50 CA I pay for Lucas X-Tra HD. A little less.
From what little research, most name brand greases are fairly close and all of them seem to do a good job. I asked my dealer and his advice was to pick a name brand quality grease and stay with it. Many of the greases have worked on overcoming compatibility issues, but why introduce that as a possible issue. Using the grease is almost more important than which grease. He said they could tell who took the time to grease their tractors and who did it just once a year or so.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
.... Many of the greases have worked on overcoming compatibility issues,....
I’m not “picking on” Bmyers....perhaps this was simply an anecdotal comment.....but this is most certainly NOT correct. In decades-past there were few greases which were not simply oil suspended in soap. Since WW-2 however there has been a Huge Influx of specialty greases and base-soaps for specialized purposes. It would be MORE correct to say that compatibility-issues have INCREASED rather than the reverse.

Do NOT MIX greases of different types or “bases”. The most common grease is probably “lithium” complex and will be compatible with other Lithium-based grease.... but it certainly does not ”play well” with calcium, aluminum, polyurea, and others.

Also, “moly” greases are used for pins and bushings such as on the FEL (loader) and NOT on roller-bearings or ball-bearings where insufficient friction is provided with moly to cause the rollers/balls to roll. Instead they may remain static and gall and wear improperly.

It would be better (in my opinion) to use a general-purpose lithium-base grease on all areas which use grease....than it would be to use “moly” as a general purpose grease.... and certainly DO NOT MIX different greases. Google (and your Owner’s Manual) is your friend on this subject.

Reactions: 2 users