What to buy - HST or Gear ?

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I'm new to OrangeTractorTalks. I would really appreciate if you guys would share with me your thoughts on what transmission to buy. I'm looking at a L2800 or L3400 with a FEL. I have about 20 acres - some woods - and will be using it to do landscaping, moving dirt/gravel, pulling trees, and general tractor stuff. I'm leaning towards a HST - but others have told me to get the Gear tranny. HELP !!!!!

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
I like my hst. Way easy to drive and reverse directions etc while steering and using the 3pt control with both hands etc

only downfall I've found is you can't use the cutting brakes very easily since the hst foot levers are on the same side as the cutting brakes

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
With the jobs that you have listed I would get the HST. I've heard the gear trannys are more robust and are better suited for tractors that do a lot of ground engaging tasks but sounds like you'll be using the fel quite a bit and you will not regret getting the HST. I've never had one so I don't know what I'm missing:D.

digdug

Equipment
L5240HST, loader, 6'brushog, boxblade, 100gal spayer, 8' graindrill, and more.
Jun 29, 2010
Carthage, MO
I've had my L5240 HST for almost 2 yrs now and love it! I use it for general tractor stuff, moving dirt, gravel, and whatever else I can get into or pick up with the FEL plus brush cutting, mowing, cutting hay, spraying, discing, plowing, and seeding.

I don't think you could got wrong with the HST.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Thanks for your comments. I've heard of people who have had hydrostatic trans in smaller garden tractors and had problems with them. And thus skeptical of how they hold up when really worked. I've heard that they have a loud "whine" to them - is that true ?

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
mine whines a little, but not a lot, and I believe that I can get most of that out w/the adjustments and service this winter.

the small garden tractor issue (like crapsman etc) are from steep profit margins using the absolutely cheapest parts they can get away with. You can't compare really anything in them with anything that's a "real" tractor...

lol I had a crapsman w/a 24hp motor and hydro, and it didn't have 1/10th the power/weight/ability of my 16hp B7100.

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
I have a B2710 (27 hp) and a L295DT (29 hp). The 2710 is HST and the 295 is gear. So I can really compare the two, since the hp is so similar. The HST sucks up a LOT of power, but gives you a terrific edge when it comes to zooming around back and forth doing things like loader work, wiggling through tight places, etc. The gear transmission is much better for straight line stuff like plowing, disking, mowing, etc. In other words, which tranny you choose depends entirely on how you will be using the tractor.

Rheino

Equipment
B 1700 and L 2350 loader and backhoe
Nov 13, 2010
New Cumberland, WV, USA
I have both A B 1700 hst and a L 2350 gear. I think over all the hst is more user freindly and holds up as well. A little loss of power but not a problem with just 17 HP. Will do any thing I need. I keep the 2350 because it has a backhoe on it. Good luck

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
Looks like everyone pretty much agrees, as do I. For the chores you have listed above I would go with the HST. If you said you were planning on plowing or discing 50 acres with it, then the gear tranny would be the tranny of choice. But for all around utility the HST is hard to beat.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
L4740 summed it up best. Everyone has given me the advice I need to now buy an HST and feel good about it. Thanks to everyone. Now...if I can only hold out until Spring of 2011 to get it. The timing is bad - for several reasons - to get it now. It's heck to have been bitten by "the bug" and now have to wait !!:D

Thanks !!!!!

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Thank you to all of you for your thoughts and comments. I have decided to go with the HST since most of my work will not be straight work (plowing, disking, etc) - but rather back/forth loader work. What you said makes sense and it matches up well with what several dealers said too. I appreciate your input.

I'm now "on the fence" between getting a slightly used L2800 or shooting my wad on a new L3200 or L3800. But either way - it will be an HST.

Thanks again.
Tom - Michigan.

dshadley

Equipment
L-2850 GST
Nov 28, 2010
battle creek, mi usa
I'm new to OrangeTractorTalks. I would really appreciate if you guys would share with me your thoughts on what transmission to buy. I'm looking at a L2800 or L3400 with a FEL. I have about 20 acres - some woods - and will be using it to do landscaping, moving dirt/gravel, pulling trees, and general tractor stuff. I'm leaning towards a HST - but others have told me to get the Gear tranny. HELP !!!!!
i'm also a michigander have 2850 gst, had it a long time.worked great til last year,slips out of 5th&6th gear under load,kubota dealer says they can fix it,but thay can't tell me whats going on.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Call me old fashioned but Im sticking with my gear transmission on this one. Yeah a gear tranny can be a PIA at times when it comes to back and forth loader work and repetive motion but my thinking is that the gear tranny has already stood the test of time since tractor's were first created. Me personaly I want the most bang for my buck and get a tractor for the long haul. Yes for now HST is the way to go these days but will an HST tranny be all its cracked up to be on a tractor 50 years from now when your great grand kids inherit the Kubota. How expensive and how hard is it going to be to find, fix, repair and replace HST parts when they break.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. I have pretty well decided to get a HST tranny - but not sure about the size. I'm still on the fence between an L2800 or something bigger - like the new 3400 or 3800. But, it will be an HST - since most of my work will be stop / go and not any kind of long running crop farming.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Tom
Michigan.