What size dump trailer to haul a new B2650 w/loader and backhoe

bgauweiler

Premium Member
Sep 2, 2019
HOLMEN
I'm getting ready to purchase my first Kabuto Tractor and I need help sizing a dump trailer to haul my new baby. Can anyone tell me how long a new B2650 is with loader and backhoe attached? Would it fit in a 14 ft dump trailer or will I need a 16 ft trailer (of course I'm assuming it will fit in a 16 ft).

Would greatly appreciate any help the community can provide.

Go ORANGE!!!

Bernie

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
On my 18’ landscape trailer, my B2650, will use all 18’.
The cutting edge of the fel will be against the front rail of the trailer.
The backhoe bucket will be flat on the deck on the inside edge of trailer.

I can swing the boom to one side and save about a foot.

How do you plan on securing your 2650 in a dump trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgauweiler

Premium Member
Sep 2, 2019
HOLMEN
Thanks for the info... The dump trailer has D-ring tie-downs welded inside specifically for securing equipment.

bgauweiler

Premium Member
Sep 2, 2019
HOLMEN
Do you think the B2650 would fit in a 16 ft trailer with only the loader attached?

Bernie

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
One thing I'd watch is weight distribution. If the machine fits tight your only adjustment will be loading it forward or backward.

I became aware of weight distribution a couple months ago when I hauled asphalt millings home for a project. I've hauled lots of things on trailers over the years. This was a different experience.

The dump trailer I borrowed from work groaned some when I dumped the first couple loads, so I loaded the next one with the center of the load closer to the rear. I was taking it easy on back roads and not going very fast. Somewhere around 45 or 50 MPH it started the death wobble. It took everything I had to get it slowed down and straightened out.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Bigger than you think, my B3200 with FEL & BH just fits on my 18ft 10,000 gvw trailer. Maybe 2ft in the front and 3ft in the back, and that's to get the weight distributed over the entire trailer correctly.

If I have the Wood chipper connected,it will move back to the back more.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I have a B2650 with FEL and backhoe on the way and I'm planning/hoping to haul it on my 16' landscape utility trailer. A couple people on here confirmed that they make it work, I even have a picture saved from one of them. Definitely requires swinging the backhoe to the side though, so I don't know if it would be doable in a dump trailer or not.

I checked one out at the dealer earlier in the summer, they swung the backhoe sideways for me so I could measure. It was around 14' I believe from the front of the bucket to clear the backhoe in the back, maybe a hair more. So I figure I'm not going to have much of any weight distribution room to play with. I'll see how it works though, hopefully won't need to upgrade to a longer trailer.

ETA:

Here's a pic of a 16' tape next to it with the backhoe swung all the way to the side. The end of the tape is at the front of the FEL bucket.

And here's someone's B2650 on a 16' landscape trailer. Don't remember whose this was, but if the owner sees it, thank you again for posting.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
PA- You're always welcome.

OP- before you pull the trigger on that dump trailer, make sure that the trailer sides are no more than 24" tall if you plan on swinging the hoe sideways...otherwise, it 'taint gonna work or it's going to be difficult to do so.

bgauweiler

Premium Member
Sep 2, 2019
HOLMEN
PA- You're always welcome.

OP- before you pull the trigger on that dump trailer, make sure that the trailer sides are no more than 24" tall if you plan on swinging the hoe sideways...otherwise, it 'taint gonna work or it's going to be difficult to do so.
Dirtydeed, yes the dump only has 24" sides. I assume the picture PA posted is of your tractor on the 16 ft utility trailer? Looks like it fits with a little wiggle room, is it centered on the trailer or do you offset it from center to allow room for the hoe? How well does it tow?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have it pushed all the way forward, loader bucket against the front wall. I also use 2x blocks under the rear tires that are screwed to the trailer deck. This lifts the rear of the tractor just enough to get the hoe to swing without hitting the trailer sides. I can do it without the blocks, but the bucket will contact the top rail of the trailer.

It tows ok, but that's with the tractor as far forward with loader bucket flat. I'd much rather have a longer trailer to provide more wiggle room as I don't think there is quite enough tongue weight. Tow vehicle is now an '18 F150 Screw with 6.5' bed (longer wheelbase helps when towing).

This is a 16 ft landscape trailer rated at 7K...had it for many years but I'm always keeping an eye out for the right aluminum trailer. I'd prefer an 18-20 footer.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
maybe this will help... pic is with rear wheels on 2x blocking...

Attachments

bgauweiler

Premium Member
Sep 2, 2019
HOLMEN
Do you think backing the tractor in would help with tongue weight? Do you have any weight in your rear tires?

Bernie

I have it pushed all the way forward, loader bucket against the front wall. I also use 2x blocks under the rear tires that are screwed to the trailer deck. This lifts the rear of the tractor just enough to get the hoe to swing without hitting the trailer sides. I can do it without the blocks, but the bucket will contact the top rail of the trailer.

It tows ok, but that's with the tractor as far forward with loader bucket flat. I'd much rather have a longer trailer to provide more wiggle room as I don't think there is quite enough tongue weight. Tow vehicle is now an '18 F150 Screw with 6.5' bed (longer wheelbase helps when towing).

This is a 16 ft landscape trailer rated at 7K...had it for many years but I'm always keeping an eye out for the right aluminum trailer. I'd prefer an 18-20 footer.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Do you think backing the tractor in would help with tongue weight? Do you have any weight in your rear tires?

Bernie
It may, I never tried it. Since there isn't much wiggle room on a 16 ft trailer, it may be too tongue heavy that way.

No, I don't have any ballast in rear tires. I have very soft ground, didn't want the extra weight. The hoe is roughly 900lbs, that's plenty of ballast.