What should be changed/checked on old L1801DT

Guy JR

Oct 19, 2010
Gadshill Ontario Canada
What would you guys recomend for me to do to my L1801DT with an unknown service history? Should I change all the fluids? What oils/filters do I use as I have no manual? What else should I look at? Is there any common problem areas that I should look at? This machine seems to run well and I would like to keep it that way.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
You want to start the tractor fresh on new fluids so know the history of when you last did a service. Here is the list on my old L1801 and what I did when I got it. I have since sold my L1801 after 8 years to a co-worker

1. Engine Oil and fresh oil filter, here is a hint to know when you last did a oil change, on the filter use a ink marker and write the month, year and hours on the end of the filter. One other thing I have about doing a oil change, I always change both the filter and the oil at the same time. Never just pull the oil as you still have a quart of DIRTY oil in the filter.

2. Transmission drain and refill and cleaned the suction screen.

3. New fuel filter. You will have to bleed the diesel system. The fuel shutoff is located on the line just under the fuel tank and near the fuel filter, you will need to shut off the fuel to the filter before you remove the filter.

4 Drain and refill the front axle (since yours is a 4 Wheel drive) This one will take some time as it generally is filled with 90 weight gear oil. I used to drain those by putting drip pans under all of the drain plugs and letting it sit over night and then the next day reinstalling the drain plugs and refilling with the correct amount of gear oil.

5. Drain and refill radiator with a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and water (check and replace both of the radiator hoses if they are mushy) Replace the radiator cap.

6. Checked and replace any fuel line hoses that are soft or extremely brittle.

7. Lube every grease zerk and check that all grease zerks are on the tie rod ends the center axle pivot. I always greased the tractor every ten hours.

8. Replace the fan belt. When I first bought my L1801 I noticed the fan belt needed replacement and I got it off and took it to NAPA auto parts and had them match it. (The belt removal and install is difficult due to limited clearances but be patient and it will work off the fan)

9. Get some engine degreaser and spray the engine and transmission down and scrub that engine-transmission clean. I did this so I could see if I had any leaks as it is really next to impossible to detect a leak with a bunch of caked on oil. I discovered that I needed a valve cover gasket and I got a new valve cover gasket and installed it.

See this sites cross reference for the NAPA cross references for your filters.

Get the I and T manual for the Kubota L185 series as it is the closest to your model tractor as You will need to know how the bleed the diesel lines and where the bleed screws are, There is one above the fuel filter and one at the fuel pump. The bleeders are large straight slot unpainted screws. You break the one at the filter loose and let it drip fuel until it does not have bubbles and then tighten, Then you repeat at the fuel filter.

Last edited:

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
And I still forgot two or three items.

1. Remove battery and completely clean under the battery and using a garden hose and going from the back of the radiator run water through the outside of the radiator until all the debris is gone from the lower part of the radiator.

2. Replace the battery with a new one with at least 850 Cold cranking Amperes. Knowing the state of the battery is important as you do not want to be stuck with a dead battery after a good snow fall.

3. Take at look at the oil sending unit on your tractor, Mine failed but it was after 32 years and kept putting on the idiot light. I tested mine with a remote oil pressure gauge and oil pressure was fine, so I put in a new sending unit, I got one from the dealer telling him it was for a L185 and it fit and worked perfectly.