What other uses for a cement mixer?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have a cement mixer that I bought from Harbor Freight when I was putting in the concrete slab for my hot tub. Now the cement mixer is just taking space because I don't have any use for it anymore.

I am wondering if any of you can make suggestions for alternate uses for a cement mixer so I can put this thing to good use instead of it just sitting around. Please don't mention the obvious about selling it on CL. If I can find another use for it, I would rather keep it than sell it. I hate to get rid of any tools once they have been purchased.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Sure as you part with it, you'd need it again.

I kept mine, much to the displeasure of my Msgt/wife.

Couple years later, Sarge wanted to move to another lot with "flatter ground blah-blah-blah." After putting a gate in at the new place, I needed to mix up 26 bags of concrete and that thing did such a nice job, I coulda kissed it. I hauled almost 200,000 lbs across the gate threshold I mixed up with that mixer and there is not a hairline nor chip out of it. I'll sell it after my 80th birthday... :)

Ray

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
You could fill it with walnut shell media, and make a case tumbler, for ammo...

On the farm, we usedta use 1 for putting innoculant, on legume seed...:D:D

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
You could fill it with walnut shell media, and make a case tumbler, for ammo...

On the farm, we usedta use 1 for putting innoculant, on legume seed...:D:D
I already have a rock tumbler from Harbor Freight for tumbling shell casings. That would be a great idea though if I ever get into the ammo manufacturing business.

I tried to convince my wife that it would be great for mixing compost but she prefers to do it with a shovel. Since I don't have to be the one doing it, she gets her way on that one.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Don't think I'd use a mixer that has had concrete in it, but I used to know a guy who had a large electric mixer he used for tumbling grease into the grooves of cast pistol bullets. In large quantities. Very large quantities.

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Mixing bulk fertilizer:

20% nitrogen, 20% phosphorus, 20 % potassium.( I know it doesn't add up! Good enough for the girls I go out with! )

20-20-20

Or something like that.

I just count pails?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I need one for odd jobs around yard. Little cement here and there.
Also for conditioning wood chips for pellet mill. Some moisture needs to be added from time to time. It speeds up the process for mixing and getting moisture accuate.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
known folk to stuff it full of rags and towels etc. with a fuel tank or similar in there with nuts, bolts and nails inside.. and turn it on to tumble the flotsam of scrap in the tank around to derust the inside of the tank.

plumbcut

Equipment
BX2200 & B6200.
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I have a cement mixer that I bought from Harbor Freight when I was putting in the concrete slab for my hot tub. Now the cement mixer is just taking space because I don't have any use for it anymore.

I am wondering if any of you can make suggestions for alternate uses for a cement mixer so I can put this thing to good use instead of it just sitting around. Please don't mention the obvious about selling it on CL. If I can find another use for it, I would rather keep it than sell it. I hate to get rid of any tools once they have been purchased.
Im in the exact same situation. Got one sitting around but I aint partin' with it. It did a good job when I needed it and Im glad I have it now. Ill use it again someday.

I think you should mix some epoxy in it.

Why? Because I cant figure out why all the warnings against it on the box when I bought it. Maybe yours should be the guinnea pig. Let us know what happens--- post pics!!

Keep the fire dept on speed dial. I have a feeling its a fire hazard or something.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well if you garden much you will find out that mixer is the cats arse for getting potting soil and mix ready,, and the longer it runs the better mixed it gets,,, AND just about the time you get rid of it,,, your gona need it;)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The ideas about mixing potting soil and wood chips are sound ideas that I can see working out. I don't have a pellet stove right now but you never know what the future holds.

I know that the suggestion to mix epoxy was tongue in cheek but it got me thinking. I don't remember seeing any warnings about mixing epoxy in the instructions for mine. What if you want to mix epoxy into some cement? I think I read somewhere that some applications mix epoxy into concrete.

I also love the idea about mixing fertilizer but I would not know where to get the ingredients. Also, the last time I bought weed killer concentrate at the TSC they wanted my driver license information before they would sell it to me. I asked why and they said federal law now requires for all bulk purchases of ag supplies. Sounds like BS to me but if I did not give them the information they would not sell it to me. Sorry about the rant about the intrusiveness of TSC and the FEDS.

I also know that if I get rid of this thing I will suddenly have several fence posts break off at ground level in a wind storm or some other such calamity that will necessitate me mixing more concrete.

I really appreciate the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nitrogen fertlizer can be picked at TSC, just remember to keep the diesel away from it :rolleyes:

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Obtain glass bottles cheap or free from recycling center.

Break in pieces, load into mixer with sand.

Run till it looks like this:

Sell as 'Artisanal Tumbled Recycled Glass Garden & Landscape Mulch'.

Retire early and play with your Kubota.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OH shyt if your gona do the glass thnig,, ya gota make a cover and for gawds sake wear a respirator

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Obtain glass bottles cheap or free from recycling center.

Break in pieces, load into mixer with sand.

Run till it looks like this:

Sell as 'Artisanal Tumbled Recycled Glass Garden & Landscape Mulch'.

Retire early and play with your Kubota.
Can I do that with beer bottles? I can get plenty of those full from the class VI store on post. I can empty them at the rate of about 6 per day if I am not working on the tractor and double that if I am working on the tractor. My wife would have to be trained to realize that tractor beer is not in cans anymore but that is a small adjustment that I'm sure she can make.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
The ideas about mixing potting soil and wood chips are sound ideas that I can see working out. I don't have a pellet stove right now but you never know what the future holds.

I know that the suggestion to mix epoxy was tongue in cheek but it got me thinking. I don't remember seeing any warnings about mixing epoxy in the instructions for mine. What if you want to mix epoxy into some cement? I think I read somewhere that some applications mix epoxy into concrete.

I also love the idea about mixing fertilizer but I would not know where to get the ingredients. Also, the last time I bought weed killer concentrate at the TSC they wanted my driver license information before they would sell it to me. I asked why and they said federal law now requires for all bulk purchases of ag supplies. Sounds like BS to me but if I did not give them the information they would not sell it to me. Sorry about the rant about the intrusiveness of TSC and the FEDS.

I also know that if I get rid of this thing I will suddenly have several fence posts break off at ground level in a wind storm or some other such calamity that will necessitate me mixing more concrete.

I really appreciate the suggestions. Please keep them coming.
I've bought many 2.5 gallon jugs of TSC's generic glyphosate (Roundup) concentrate and never been asked for a driver's license. Bought one just last week.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I used to mix sand with an epoxy resin in a cement mixer to make sand sculptures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I've bought many 2.5 gallon jugs of TSC's generic glyphosate (Roundup) concentrate and never been asked for a driver's license. Bought one just last week.
Maybe it is a state regulation. I know that our state (Washington) EPA is considering banning private use of pesticides and herbicides. I saw an article in some publication that said over-use of herbicides and pesticides by private homeowners is causing ground water contamination and the state wants to limit the use of these and other chemicals to licensed contractors. The checkout girl could have been mistaken about it being a FED requirement. I can see that but still, I was carded before I could buy it. She told me that it was so use of certain chemicals could be tracked.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I can see why they would track purchases of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, which you can make into a dandy, uh, weapon of mass destruction. But glyphosate? Kooky.

I can't see the Feds banning private use of pesticides. First you got your homeowners, yes, we suck, but we're talking about a billion dollar DIY lawn industry. Not going to happen overnight.

And farming? Again I can't see that changing a whole lot.

Now there are pesticides that can only be applied by professionals, but glyphosate isn't one of them. Some insecticides like certain termite products for example. Certain herbicides that can be used on lawns but you can't get them at the walmart, they are only available for farms and pro lawn companies.