What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Got a call mid morning that the guys were in trouble on day 3 of a 1 day job...needed a little help from an Orange:

Dig and pulling a 2" water service...

H4-OLD436-2.JPG

H4-OLD436-3.JPG

H4-OLD436-5.JPG

done

H4-OLD436-6.JPG

Headed home:

H4-OLD436-8.JPG

Reactions: 8 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Got rid of 15 gallons of used oil, most of which came out of a tractor or two.

Painted the new welds on the deck of the Land Pride brush hog RCR 1860 with official LP beige paint. That tool lives behind the L most of the time.

Used the B to bring the camp trailer up to the house. To do that I put a hitch assembly on the 3 point for that and put the MMM in the carry position (what a joy that is).

Doesn’t count here but I also greased the wheel bearings on the camp trail. Can’t recall the last time I did it and they looked like I’d done them yesterday. So I suppose that is good.

Two daily driver oil changes and I’ll be caught up, for the day. But that’s not going to happen until Sunday since DW keeps driving hers and if I’m going to do one, I’ll do two while all the stuff is out.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I read this to my girlfriend last night and told her "see, we're not the only ones who have these type of conversations/arguments!" It backfired though -- her response was "my takeaway is that we should just get the BX" :confused: (we need a ZT or lawn tractor soon)
Whew, as I was reading your post I thought that her reply would be something like "my takeaway is that we should just get a condo". You somehow dodged that bullet!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Can't quite figure out what/how repair was done, and why it was necessary.
It was a 2" copper water service to a commercial fabricating (Anchor Block) facility. The line was leaking somewhere under the floor. The guys dug on the inside (hammered thru 3 foot thick concrete floor and footer overpour) but the leak was actually under footer.

We cut the old service inside the building and outside just before the curb stop. I gave the old service a little tug to see if it would budge....it did! Connected new 2" copper to the old water service line inside the building using a pro-press fitting. Chain wrapped the old service behind the pipe wrench and I gave her a heave (or haul as it were). Pulled the new service into place using the old water service line. The U-27 didn't mind at all. The Propress fitting survived just long enough to get the new service out to the curb stop. We got lucky!

Reactions: 5 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I had a cool morning & decided to clean the radiator & screen because of the dry dusty conditions we have had. I’ve been driving in tall grass/weeds as well.
I removed the screen (pretty dirty) & blew it out. Blew air thru the radiator & coolers to remove dust & debris. Put it all back together & went to work in the fields.
IMG_8866.jpeg

• Wow

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It was a 2" copper water service to a commercial fabricating (Anchor Block) facility. The line was leaking somewhere under the floor. The guys dug on the inside (hammered thru 3 foot thick concrete floor and footer overpour) but the leak was actually under footer.

We cut the old service inside the building and outside just before the curb stop. I gave the old service a little tug to see if it would budge....it did! Connected new 2" copper to the old water service line inside the building using a pro-press fitting. Chain wrapped the old service behind the pipe wrench and I gave her a heave (or haul as it were). Pulled the new service into place using the old water service line. The U-27 didn't mind at all. The Propress fitting survived just long enough to get the new service out to the curb stop. We got lucky!
Thanks for the explanation.
What a PITA situation.
Some luck involved, but a good plan!

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
14 trouble free months

20230708_112622.jpg

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Took a gamble and purchased a plow point for my subsoiler to dig my potatoes. In this heat and humidity it was perfect vs digging them by hand. Two plow bolts and it was done! Hit 700 hrs on the tractor while doing it.

Attachments

Reactions: 9 users

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Snapped the fan belt 3 miles from home. Nursed it home at 1200rpm. Pretty close to the red when I got there. PITA fitting new belt, which, of course, was slightly small. Now I'm missing the 2 idiot lights on the left

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
PEI is a beautiful place.
MacAusland woolen mill, and delicious mussels too!
Mussels are farmed in the bay on the far side of those homes. Nice getting fresh spuds and mussels at your doorstep.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Adjusted the belt on the RFM. It seems to be throwing the grass out better now. Started the 200 hour service but didn't finish because of the heat. I'll continue on this evening.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Wife decided to mow today while I was at work. She called me. I already knew she was having a quite frustrating day so I figured this probably wasn’t going to be good if she was calling. We proceed to have the following conversation:

Hey, what’s wrong with the Kubota?

Nothing I know of. Which one?

The little one. It runs fine but I don’t think it’s cutting grass and it doesn’t sound right.

What does it sound like?

It’s too quiet. It was mowing fine but since I ran over a stick, it isn’t cutting the grass. When I pull out the yellow button it clicks but won’t cut. What’s wrong with this POS???

Does the deck belt look right?

WTF is a deck belt?

That black ropy looking thing on top of the deck.

How am I supposed to see that from here?

Shut off the mower, get off, and look at it from the side.

(Background motor noise stops)

I don’t know why you told me to look at it from the side, it’s hanging two feet out the back and looks like a dog has been chewing on it. Why is this thing already falling apart? Why didn’t we buy the BX? If we’d bought the BX it probably wouldn’t have broke.

Look at the deck. See any sticks up there?

Well yeah. There’s a piece of that stick I ran over on top of the deck and it’s kind of chewed up. What’s that got to do with it? Why do you ask me these crazy questions when I ask you something simple and just want a simple answer?

Because they’re relevant. Or maybe I’m just an a$$hole. Jury’s still out on that one.

So how do I fix this stupid mower?

You don’t. You ran over a stick and it got tangled up in the belt, knocked it off a pulley, which toasted the belt. Stuff happens. Just a thing. Park it in the shop and I’ll order a belt tonight. Hopefully it was just a fluke stick strike instead of a spindle or idler seizing. If a spindle or idler seized, I suppose I’ll have to get with the dealer about possible warranty.

What’s a spindle or idler?

The spinny circle things on the top of the deck that look like little shiny wheels.

I didn’t need to know that and don’t care.

Agreed.

So how am I supposed to mow the grass?

Either use the Honda (push mower) or get the zero turn from the neighbor (our son) or leave it and I’ll do it when I get home.

So I can’t use the Kubota?

No.

But I want to use the Kubota. Don’t you have a spare deck belt?

No. We have a spare for the zero turn but not the T.

So I can’t use the Kubota?

Mowers without deck belts don’t cut grass. If you MUST use a Kubota you’ll have to take the chipper off the L and hook up the bush hog. Technically possible; practically unlikely; not recommended. I’d go with the Honda or the Cub unless you’re planning to mow a lot more limbs.

Fine. I’ll get the Honda.

————————————
She hates the zero turn for reasons beyond my comprehension. So she push mowed about half the yard. I finished with the Honda when I got home because it just wasn’t worth going to get the zero turn and return it.

After 9.5 hours on the meter I now need a $84 deck belt (Messick’s, Coleman, and a couple other places I never heard of all within $2 of each other). All the pulleys spin freely so apparently it’s just a random stick in the belt. I’ll call the dealer tomorrow. If they’re cost competitive and have one in stock I’ll get it local.

Stuff happens. $84 for a 102” x 5/8” Kevlar belt is pretty stout, though. Might have to check into a A/M spare.
T

I'm late responding to this one, but thats an awesome story, reminds me of the Mrs over here using the ZT last fall with my homemade franken- bagger which consists of a large wooden and plastic mesh/fence box and a 7" sheet metal duct fabricobbked/attached to the deck output. To say it gets a little light in the front when the box gets full is an understatement. You have to back it up the hill in our front yard when the box gets full or it will do wheelies the whole way and that's with weight hanging off the front. Anyway she was doing me a "favor" bagging the enormous amount of leaves we have to deal with from the maples 🍁 and I see her coming up the hill frontward with the 7" duct dragging behind her obviously ran over a few times, I ask "what happened? " and "wheren't you paying attention" to which she responded it stated to flip (front wheels came off the ground) it literally cannot flip there is a frame bar and the frame of bagger box hits the ground before it even gets remotely dangerous . Anyway moral of the story is do the bagging myself becuase someone doesn't respond well when things even appear to get "dangerous" 🙃
O, and what did I do on the kubota today. Put it all back together only to have a clutch that won't disengage. No matter how far I adjust the peda. Thinking the fork for the throwout bearing got put in backwards, at least that's the hope. Got it stripped back down to the bellhousing bolts in an hour. It's amazing how fast you can work when you feel.like you just wasted 2 days l.

• Wow

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
T

I'm late responding to this one, but thats an awesome story, reminds me of the Mrs over here using the ZT last fall with my homemade franken- bagger which consists of a large wooden and plastic mesh/fence box and a 7" sheet metal duct fabricobbked/attached to the deck output. To say it gets a little light in the front when the box gets full is an understatement. You have to back it up the hill in our front yard when the box gets full or it will do wheelies the whole way and that's with weight hanging off the front. Anyway she was doing me a "favor" bagging the enormous amount of leaves we have to deal with from the maples 🍁 and I see her coming up the hill frontward with the 7" duct dragging behind her obviously ran over a few times, I ask "what happened? " and "wheren't you paying attention" to which she responded it stated to flip (front wheels came off the ground) it literally cannot flip there is a frame bar and the frame of bagger box hits the ground before it even gets remotely dangerous . Anyway moral of the story is do the bagging myself becuase someone doesn't respond well when things even appear to get "dangerous" 🙃
O, and what did I do on the kubota today. Put it all back together only to have a clutch that won't disengage. No matter how far I adjust the peda. Thinking the fork for the throwout bearing got put in backwards, at least that's the hope. Got it stripped back down to the bellhousing bolts in an hour. It's amazing how fast you can work when you feel.like you just wasted 2 days l.
Sorry guys, but if this stuff wasn’t so frustrating, expensive and easily avoidable, it’d be funny. As it is, it’s almost humorous, if it isn’t your stuff that’s getting needlessly screwed up.

My wife literally blew up the front brakes on the ATV by setting the parking brake on them. Forgetting, driving it, hearing the front tires slide on the gravel and deciding it must need to be put in 4WD to solve the “problem”. It’s still sitting where she parked it a month and a half ago. I’ll get to it, but not in any hurry.

• Wow

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Started out with some pruning followed by chipping. Then what for me was an unusual experience with the L and a more routine interaction with the T.

We had a sourwood tree between the front of the shed and the junk log pile. It has been a nuisance trying to get larger things in and out of the shed for years so we finally decided to cut it and grind the stump. Looking at it from a felling standpoint it was small but big enough to cause some harm. Sourwood’s are typically kind of gnarled little trees and this one was C shaped, leaning away from the shed at the bottom and heavily toward it up top. Since it wasn’t huge figured maybe with a decent hinge left after cutting, the L might push it over. Before cutting, pushed on it a little with the grapple about 7’ up just to see how heavy it felt. And it moved. So I kept pushing until the near roots on the stump got closer to the grille than I preferred. Pushed on the stump from a little different angle and the whole thing came out. I was honestly shocked. Cut the stump off afterward so it won’t stick up like that for the next several years. Bringing up some clay from the pile by the first creek crossing cut to fill the hole is on the list for tomorrow.
IMG_0972.jpeg
IMG_0973.jpeg

Then to the T. As previously posted, wife blew the deck belt a couple days ago. Local dealer had one and agreed to hold it for a couple hours until I could pick it up. Wife found out that’s what I was doing for “lunch” and insisted on picking it up and paying for it herself. Picking it up was nice as it was a bit out of her way. Paying for it is kind of a running joke with us because we both know it all comes from the same pot. She did feel bad. Told her several times it’s not common but could have happened to anybody because, well… it could.

The T wasn’t surprising. This was the deck and belt as presented to me in the shop.
IMG_0970.jpeg

Despite not being ASE certified, I’m pretty sure this doesn’t match the belt routing diagram and there shouldn’t be any appendages extending from the belt.
IMG_0986.jpeg

This is why, “The mower runs fine but it’s not cutting grass.”
IMG_0982.jpeg

New belt installed. Happy, happy.

BTW, whoever designed the 3 dimensional upper level, lower level, angled idlers, overlapping belt routing on this thing: I’m pretty sure when they were a kid they didn’t have to pull the stickers off to solve their Rubik’s cube. (Like I did.) I’ve changed a bunch of belts on a bunch of stuff. That wasn’t exactly hard but it was special.
IMG_0984.jpeg

Test run successful.

And our son told me last night he got a flat on the zero turn and asked if I would help him replace it if he paid for the parts. I reminded him those tires have always been a little leaky and they’ll run off the rims eventually if you don’t air them up every couple months. He said he knew that from using it when he was in high school but forgot. We took the wheel off, mashed the tire sort of in shape, and it took air without even having to do the rope thing. Overall, a pretty good day…

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users