What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It started raining hydraulic oil from under my cab yesterday. Main hydraulic feed line from the pump failed with a hairline crack in the hardline at the bend located under the seat. Wish me luck trying to replace the line without removing the cab...

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
It's best to have the male and female connections. When the attachment is not in use, the male/female connections can be mated together to keep them clean and no pressure on the cylinders.

From my experience, in regards to tractor(s) FEL hydraulics, best to hook up the lines when the fluid is cold(haha I'm in S. TX.) and the attachment is not in full sun. Once that fluid is hot and expanded it can be difficult hooking up the connectors.
I have zero issues with the skidsteer on hydraulic temperatures, the hyd manifold has built in pressure relief type system. Just have to push in the hydraulic connections inward prior to hooking up the connectors/hoses.
This is maybe a bit different from what you and @Old_Paint are saying, so I'll ask before getting myself in an unforeseen situation on my part:

As I'm adding a third-function on the FEL it would be wise to switch the Male-Male fittings that came in the kit to Male-Female?

Similarly with the Top&Tilt on the three-point hitch having 4 Female connectors switch two to Male?

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
This is maybe a bit different from what you and @Old_Paint are saying, so I'll ask before getting myself in an unforeseen situation on my part:

As I'm adding a third-function on the FEL it would be wise to switch the Male-Male fittings that came in the kit to Male-Female?

Similarly with the Top&Tilt on the three-point hitch having 4 Female connectors switch two to Male?
Or you can identify the hoses with wire ties, colored tape, paint, etc, so you know which hose goes where.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Or you can identify the hoses with wire ties, colored tape, paint, etc, so you know which hose goes where.
I was planning on using colored plastic zip-ties on each pair (after reading comments here on not spending a lot of coin on custom solutions), but since I'm new to hydraulics (and there's a lot to understanding them) it seems best to ask first. :D

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL

You do you.

I did it to keep me from connecting the hoses on my grapple backward and making sure that everything always operated the same way without having to think about it. I simply cannot hook it up backward now. Female on the pump side, male on the pump side, I'm not sure there's really any plumbing answer to simple tractor hygiene, but there are those that claim there is. The best practice is to keep the couplers plugged and capped when not in use. I'm a bit anal about that part of having hydraulic options. I'd do the same on any rear remotes I installed on my LX, too. It simply guarantees the attachments/implements cannot be connected backward. There will be no effect on flow rate or pressure other than what is already caused by the hose/coupling size as well as port size on the valves.

If you want to use color coded zip ties or whatever, like I said, you do you. Or if you simply enjoy the challenge of getting the hoses connected right, don't mark them at all. Think about a USB plug. There's a 50/50 chance of getting it right every time you plug it in, but most folks miss 80% of the time. I'm certainly one of those that is pushing that number up. So, I tend to do things that make mundane tasks a no-brainer (because I sometimes have none). I just posted what I did to make my tractor operating easier (for me) if anyone was interested. I've already had it pointed out that my way is wrong. I guess we'll see.

I never claimed that mine was the 'right' way or the 'only' way. It is however MY way. In fact, if you want 5 different opinions about how to plumb the 3FV or rear remotes, just ask 5 different tractor owners.

Oh, and what @Siesta Sundance was talking about (storing the grapple outside) is very real. I took mine off in January last year, and thought connecting the hoses together was the best option. I wound up loosening one of the hardline fittings to bleed down the pressure just to get them disconnected. Turns out, it was NOT the best option with my grapple. Might be for yours. The best option I've found is to open my grapple about half-way and put it on a pallet sitting on the teeth. That seems to mitigate any fluid expansion issues. Not to say it eliminates them. I just keep some basic tools on the tractor including a large screwdriver that is better than my fingers for aligning things that don't want to align. I use that to push in the poppets on the grapple hose connectors when I can't get them connected. If the pressure's on the tractor side, I shut off the engine, but turn the key switch back on and toggle the 3FV buttons a few times to bleed off any residual pressure, which is normally what I do just before I uncouple the grapple anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Is there a floor pan under the seat you can remove if needed ?
There's a small access panel for abnormally small child labourers to fit into, the rigid pip runs under the floor to the pump at the motor. At least I can see most of the pip run after pulling off the shields on the outside of the machine. Can't get my hands in the space available between the loader backhoe frame and cab...can look but not touch!
m59accesspanel_o.jpg

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
There's a small access panel for abnormally small child labourers to fit into, the rigid pip runs under the floor to the pump at the motor. At least I can see most of the pip run after pulling off the shields on the outside of the machine. Can't get my hands in the space available between the loader backhoe frame and cab...can look but not touch!
View attachment 134045
Do you have access to grind and weld the crack?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It started raining hydraulic oil from under my cab yesterday. Main hydraulic feed line from the pump failed with a hairline crack in the hardline at the bend located under the seat. Wish me luck trying to replace the line without removing the cab...
So much work for such a small item! Good luck with it

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Haven’t done much on either Kubota lately. Been going back and forth to Mayo Clinic trying to get wife fixed. She isn’t dying but isn’t right either. A pair of 1,000 mile round trips with the Airstream and more days out of town than home the past two weeks has kept both the L and T garaged.

Most times our son/neighbor would do at least basic maintenance on the place while we were gone but he was traveling on business and was gone a couple days more than we were those two weeks. Not a big deal since nothing was growing anyway after 6 weeks of scorching temps and no rain. Except… according to the rain gauge we got near 6” of rain out of a series of thunder storms while we were gone.

So, over the past couple days: I got out the T to mow the yards along son running the older Cub ZTR. Weeded the flower beds. Hit the “volunteer” grass in the gravel areas with glyphosate. Found a yellow jacket nest while spraying around the old pet graveyard, got stung about a dozen times, came back after they calmed down a bit and killed every last one of the little yellow demons. (Apparently insects don’t know you shouldn’t start something you can’t finish.) While the “dead men walking” yellow jackets calmed down, the L hauled sticks from the road, yards, and cleared areas around the pond; dead stuff from self-pruning mature hardwoods shaken loose by the recent storms. 4 grapple loads of them.

It’s still far from being ready for a Better Homes and Gardens photo shoot, but at least now it looks like people live here. Amazing how fast things get shaggy and shabby if you just do nothing.

Edit: Just remembered, a few days before we left, had gone around with a pole saw and cleaned up all the dead stuff I could reach so the 4 grapple loads of limbs was just the stuff above about 25’ I couldn’t reach.

IMG_2893.jpeg
IMG_2894.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Haven’t done much on either Kubota lately. Been going back and forth to Mayo Clinic trying to get wife fixed. She isn’t dying but isn’t right either. A pair of 1,000 mile round trips with the Airstream and more days out of town than home the past two weeks has kept both the L and T garaged.

Most times our son/neighbor would do at least basic maintenance on the place while we were gone but he was traveling on business and was gone a couple days more than we were those two weeks. Not a big deal since nothing was growing anyway after 6 weeks of scorching temps and no rain. Except… according to the rain gauge we got near 6” of rain out of a series of thunder storms while we were gone.

So, over the past couple days: I got out the T to mow the yards along son running the older Cub ZTR. Weeded the flower beds. Hit the “volunteer” grass in the gravel areas with glyphosate. Found a yellow jacket nest while spraying around the old pet graveyard, got stung about a dozen times, came back after they calmed down a bit and killed every last one of the little yellow demons. (Apparently insects don’t know you shouldn’t start something you can’t finish.) While the “dead men walking” yellow jackets calmed down, the L hauled sticks from the road, yards, and cleared areas around the pond; dead stuff from self-pruning mature hardwoods shaken loose by the recent storms. 4 grapple loads of them.

It’s still far from being ready for a Better Homes and Gardens photo shoot, but at least now it looks like people live here. Amazing how fast things get shaggy and shabby if you just do nothing.

View attachment 134060 View attachment 134061
Nice pics of your work. Hoping for a speedy and full recovery for your wife.

Reactions: 1 users

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
We have had a ton of rain in July. According to the Fairbanks Museum Weather Station in St Johnsbury, 6 miles from here, they received 17.14" of rain in July. The wettest 1 month total by far in their 130 years of record keeping. The old record was 11.1" in May 2008. Last Monday night was the highlight of the month rain-wise with an 8.1" thunder storm that lasted about 5 hours. Biggest 1 day rain on record and we got it in 5 hours. The old record was 5" in 24 hours. The storm was very compact and localized so I'm not sure we got all 8" but our rain gauge over flowed at 5" so we got a least that much.

I had some road damage. Very minor compared with the damage some folks faced and the town roads are a mess - again !!

We share the road with 2 other families and I maintain it. The shared portion is about 1/4 mile long and slopes down hill to the town road. It is cut into a side hill with a small ditch on the high side (right) that is limited because of ledge close to the surface. I don't crown it because of the small ditch. I grade a flat pitch across the road so the water flows to the down hill side. I also have a couple wide based dips to ensure the water doesn't flow the whole length of the road. The neighbors hay field is at the top of the bank and slopes to the road. The drainage off of it over whelmed the little ditch and carved out a pretty good trench. Bigger than it looks.

24_8_1-1.JPG

I needed to pull the gravel up the road and move it from left to right in order to fill the trench. A good job for a rear blade.

24_8_1-2.JPG

After it packs there will be a small depression where the trench is. I will take care of that with the LandPlane. Unbelievable how often the retired neighbors think they need to go in and out. They can't even wait a couple hours while I fix the road.

24_8_1-3.JPG

gg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users