Weak Points on L534 Loader on B2650

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I was unable to find the post about this so I created a new one. If it is offensive or in the wrong area feel free to delete or move it.

I had to spread 3 loads of asphalt crush the other day. I had to carry each bucket around a garage on a slight slope and then into a new driveway out back. The slope was not severe (I was safely carrying full buckets) but it was a side force for sure.

Doing my washing/inspecting after the day was done I noticed my curl piston top supports were visibly bent out. I remember several other people having this issue with the L534 but thought mine being a 2019 would have been updated/fixed. No joy.

I ended up making some 1/4" plates and welding them on. I did not want to drill/tap/washer the pins as others had done because that would not address the weak point. As much as I didn't want to ruin the factory paint on the FEL I felt it was the only way to fix the problem.

loader1.jpg

loader2.jpg

loader3.jpg

loader4.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I do recall that thread, but couldn’t find it either. Maybe last fall, if I remember correctly?

Seems like there were pictures of several folks with same issue. Question of design flaw came up.

Seems like some on that thread did avery similar repair. Yours looks great. 👍

I’ll try to find it later to when I’m on a laptop.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I’m sure you looked at it but will the plate ever hit the hydraulic cylinder or grease zerk during the range of movement? Looks fairly close in the pictures but I don’t know how much it moves in relation to the plates.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was unable to find the post about this so I created a new one.
Gosh, I looked/searched for about 30 minutes with the laptop. I'm coming up empty too. Sorry about that. I tried.

I remember 'Cat or Lil Foot recently mentioning they had trouble searching with the new update. Maybe my experience is the same, but honestly I wasn't very good before...:oops:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I’m sure you looked at it but will the plate ever hit the hydraulic cylinder or grease zerk during the range of movement? Looks fairly close in the pictures but I don’t know how much it moves in relation to the plates.
It just clears.

The zerk has plenty of room to get to.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Gosh, I looked/searched for about 30 minutes with the laptop. I'm coming up empty too. Sorry about that. I tried.

I remember 'Cat or Lil Foot recently mentioning they had trouble searching with the new update. Maybe my experience is the same, but honestly I wasn't very good before...:oops:
Found the other thread...search Bx23s/Bt603 bracket failure

I don’t know how to link to it.

I was just determined enough to look at titles on threads for 10 days back and found it the old fashioned way!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Found the other thread...search Bx23s/Bt603 bracket failure

I don’t know how to link to it.

I was just determined enough to look at titles on threads for 10 days back and found it the old fashioned way!
That link was for a BH. The thread I was talking about was from last year and specific to the L534 loader.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Found it - - - LA525 FEL... I learned how to Google search the website.

Gosh, I was thinking last fall....but it did have some posts into late-2019 and early-2020.

It really bugged me. I remembered the thread and it being a similar issue that you had.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just spent an hour going through threads, maybe it was deleted?
Sleddog - only replying to alert you I found the thread I recalled - 7 pages of it related to LA525.

Didn’t read it all, but certainly appears the same.

Posted the link above.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Thanks.

That was the one I was looking for.

In my case it is the L534 and it happened in the span of two hours distributing 3 loads of material.

Obviously, the brackets are the weak point that is affected. To me in order for that much side-loading to happen, it points to an overall weakness in the frame or design.