Water Separator Wrench

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Pour hot water over the filter housing slowly to warm it up. Less likely to damage it than using a heat gun or hair dryer.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Pour hot water over the filter housing slowly to warm it up. Less likely to damage it than using a heat gun or hair dryer.
Ever seen ice cubes snap, crackle and pop when added to a glass of tap water? That could happen to the fuel bowl too.
I'm not saying a heat gun doesn't come without some risk, but the application of heat is more controllable and spread over a larger area.
Alas, we may never know what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
Well to ease all of your suspense. The outside temperatrure warmed up enough that the slushy dissolved itself and the tractor is running smooth again, but the dealer was here today dropping off something else and I had the service guy look at it. He recommended one of those adjustable filter wrenches that looks like a Chanel lock. You can't really get a strap all the way around that retainer ring, and thats what needs to loosen not the bowl. I haven't been to town since this issue flared up, but maybe Thursday and I will see what I can find.

An old timer told me back in the day when they had equipment gel up, they would make a fire and rake the coals under the unit to thaw them out.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well to ease all of your suspense. The outside temperatrure warmed up enough that the slushy dissolved itself and the tractor is running smooth again, but the dealer was here today dropping off something else and I had the service guy look at it. He recommended one of those adjustable filter wrenches that looks like a Chanel lock. You can't really get a strap all the way around that retainer ring, and thats what needs to loosen not the bowl. I haven't been to town since this issue flared up, but maybe Thursday and I will see what I can find.

An old timer told me back in the day when they had equipment gel up, they would make a fire and rake the coals under the unit to thaw them out.
I strongly suspect that your neighbor, Mr. Bezos, over in Seattle, can send you whatever size Channel Lok pliers you may need for the job.

• Haha

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
I strongly suspect that your neighbor, Mr. Bezos, over in Seattle, can send you whatever size Channel Lok pliers you may need for the job.
Im sure your right, I like to fondle tools before I buy them... So I'll drive to probably 4-6 different stores looking for what I want.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Im sure your right, I like to fondle tools before I buy them... So I'll drive to probably 4-6 different stores looking for what I want.
Sadly, I am well past the age of tool fondling.
Though I did just place an on line order, for a press/brake.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

They didn't have plastic filter housings!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
He recommended one of those adjustable filter wrenches that looks like a Chanel lock. You can't really get a strap all the way around that retainer ring, and thats what needs to loosen not the bowl
You were told that in post #7 several days ago as I have had a few of the bowls off for cleaning.

• Dislike

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Sometimes it's easier to not answer a question than to answer it and then tell them you already answered it! ;)
Some are slow learners, and you have to repeat yourself multiple times before it sinks in. You will have to excuse me since I am a grumpy old man who has a low tolerance level for stupidity.

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There a few of us on here!
Some are slow learners, and you have to repeat yourself multiple times before it sinks in. You will have to excuse me since I am a grumpy old man who has a low tolerance level for stupidity.
There are a few of us here!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Often times I'm sure it's not a matter of being a slow learner, but a matter of just not reading the assignment/homework!

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
Well alot of suggestions, some ok but most obviously were generalized from other equipment/scenarios(keep shouting wrong answers till they are right!!). No heat was involved, although it was probably 45 here today.

I tried 'adjustable type filter pliers', not enough clear real estate to grab the ring with the amount of force required it needed to loosen it(this time).
IMG_7735.jpeg

Followed that up with an Amazon order or some rubber strap wrenches, 2 for $19.99!!
IMG_7734.jpeg

The smaller one worked. Remember it's the silver ring that needs to be loosened, not the entire bowl! Not exactly easy, but the smaller band was able to be negotiated around the various obstructions. To say that ring was tight would be an understatement. Took some effort but she spun loose and all is good.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well alot of suggestions, some ok but most obviously were generalized from other equipment/scenarios(keep shouting wrong answers till they are right!!). No heat was involved, although it was probably 45 here today.

I tried 'adjustable type filter pliers', not enough clear real estate to grab the ring with the amount of force required it needed to loosen it(this time).
View attachment 121403

Followed that up with an Amazon order or some rubber strap wrenches, 2 for $19.99!!
View attachment 121404

The smaller one worked. Remember it's the silver ring that needs to be loosened, not the entire bowl! Not exactly easy, but the smaller band was able to be negotiated around the various obstructions. To say that ring was tight would be an understatement. Took some effort but she spun loose and all is good.
Nice follow up. Glad you found something that works for the inevitable next time.
Out of curiosity, are you the original owner? It looks like someone gave the ring a smack with a flat head screwdriver at some point.

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
Nice follow up. Glad you found something that works for the inevitable next time.
Out of curiosity, are you the original owner? It looks like someone gave the ring a smack with a flat head screwdriver at some point.
Yep Im the original owner and the one guilty for trying a love tap with a flat bladed chisel when the tractor stopped running on one of those -10f days. Frustrated at that moment., but now Im glad I had the patience and clarity to only try it once!

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yep Im the original owner and the one guilty for trying a love tap with a flat bladed chisel when the tractor stopped running on one of those -10f days. Frustrated at that moment., but now Im glad I had the patience and clarity to only try it once!
Sometimes that will work. Sometimes it ends in disaster. Lol. It would be nice if the ring were designed for a legit spanner wrench. Doesn't look like the ridges are big enough.