Washing the Tractor. Hood Open, or Hood Closed?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
You guys wash your tractors? :unsure:
Sometimes.

Good to get the panels off, clean them. Clean the engine compartment, radiator and pre-screen. Wash everything off real well at least once a year. Other times just give her a rinsing after use (if dusty or muddy).

27 years old this year (recent photos).

Take care of your equipment (maintenance and aesthetics) and it can last a long time.

Bath3.jpg
Bath4.jpg
27b.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sometimes.

Good to get the panels off, clean them. Clean the engine compartment, radiator and pre-screen. Wash everything off real well at least once a year. Other times just give her a rinsing after use (if dusty or muddy).

27 years old this year (recent photos).

Take care of your equipment (maintenance and aesthetics) and it can last a long time.

View attachment 115459 View attachment 115460 View attachment 115461
You are cheating, ;) using tire polish/wax/black.

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Steam cleaner set to low pressure. I hit everything, even the cup holder.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Closed, until I wash the engine compartment, then I obviously open it.

Yes, clean engines are much easier to work on and maintain or find leaks if/when necessary.

Yes on dash, but by hand, no pressure washer.

(I also scrub tires with "Bleach White" because the voices in my head can't stand dirty sidewalls)🤪
Bleach white is extremely harsh on the rubber. I would use Simple Green since it cleans well and contains no harsh chemicals. About 30 years ago I used to use Bleach White on my whitewall tires, and the white rubber would always crack. That is when I learned that it was bad for the rubber, but it also got the whitewalls clean by removing the surface rubber a thin layer at a time.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
The time or 2 I washed the tractor I used a table spoon of dish soap in 3/4 bucket of water.. I used this solution and scrubbed it with a very soft bristle curling broom.. Gave it a quick rinse down with the hose then let it sit out in a gentle afternoon, evening rain.. This the only time it sat in the rain while I owned it..

Curling brooms also work well for clearing snow from a vehicle.. Having 2 brooms is best.. One in the vehicle while the other one is drying in the house..