Wanting a new Plasma cutter for 1/4" ??

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I have mostly miller equipment and have used it with great success and dependability for many years but don't want to buy just because it is blue and there is the obvious premium in cost that seems to go along with it. Wanting to use mostly on 1/4" and smaller but occasionally maybe 3/8" I am looking at a new Miller 625 x-treme $1700 ish or the Hobart AirForce 500I $1200 or a refurb 500I for $999 through Hobart. Who here has direct experience with any of these options, I would consider others but consumables must be readily available local or by quick delivery mail order.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I have a hypertherm, bought through Robert's Oxygen, Can't remember the model. Just buy the biggest one that won't pop your breakers, you WILL find a use for the extra capacity...:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have a longevity 50 amp at home, the hypertherm 40 amp at my former place of work runs circles around it. Although they both do the job, the hypertherm is cadillac compared to hyundai.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
Oh yes, plenty of air, I have a very comprehensive shop for metal working, I've built tube chassis drag cars and off road Jeeps from the ground up in past completed projects. I have a old hypertherm 30 amp I have used for several years that I brought home from my business and just want to get a new one for my home shop and bring it back to work. and I want a little more umph at the same time. I have 27 cfm of air at 175 psi in the shop so likely 50 ? at 90 psi. I need to put in a new dryer and filter system at the same time since the compressor is new and so is the plumbing. I am re-locating to a new home and shop. I am just trying to justify the Miller against my better judgment on plasma cutters.

Patrick BX

Equipment
BX2660 w/ LA243 Loader and RCK60B23BX
Nov 13, 2014
Midland, MI
I have the Hypertherm Powermax 45. It is an awesome machine. I bought it at the local Miller dealer on their recommendation. I told them I would mostly be cutting 1/4" and this machine is rated to run 1/2" pretty much 24/7. Rule of thumb seems to be get a plasma rated for twice the thickness you think you need. I have cut 5/8" steel on several occasions with nice results. Consumables are everywhere and last a long time. I have had it for over 4 years with zero problems. It is the tool in my shop that I paid the most for and I have never regretted getting it.

The dealer I bought it from said that Hypertherm built Miller's plasma cutters, I don't know if that is true though.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I have the Hypertherm Powermax 45. It is an awesome machine. I bought it at the local Miller dealer on their recommendation. I told them I would mostly be cutting 1/4" and this machine is rated to run 1/2" pretty much 24/7. Rule of thumb seems to be get a plasma rated for twice the thickness you think you need. I have cut 5/8" steel on several occasions with nice results. Consumables are everywhere and last a long time. I have had it for over 4 years with zero problems. It is the tool in my shop that I paid the most for and I have never regretted getting it.

The dealer I bought it from said that Hypertherm built Miller's plasma cutters, I don't know if that is true though.
I bought the same one today, Hypertherm Powermax 45. I done about 6-8 hours of intense reading and research and asked on 3 different forums I frequent. I wanted to justify buying a Miller to match all my welding equipment but sources lead to the same answer, Hypertherm. Even the hard core Miller and Lincoln guys buy the Hypertherms a lot of the time. The one I was retiring back to the factory is an old powermax 350 and never an issue other than wanting more power so I got new tips for it today and picked me up a new 45 for here in the home shop. I will take the old one in to leave at work Monday.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I was looking at a youtube last night and found a young fella doing a pmax 45 video demo testing it's ability to cut thick material and he was very successful up to 1-1/4" and managed 1-1/2" going slow but it got a bit sloppy. he was flying through 1/4" and real good still on 3/8". My old powermax 350 was not nearly that strong by comparison.

TxDoc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
ZG227
Apr 19, 2013
Texas
Hypertherm here, too. Jim Colt recently retired from Hypertherm. He can tell you all the little idiosyncrasies of each manufacturer. He is great in the case you ever have the need to troubleshoot a problem. The consumables outlast others and will actually save you money in the long run.

Good luck with your machine.:D