Voltage regulator troubles

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My L245DT is overcharging, up to 17V. Previous owner told me betteries only last a couple years, I'm assuming the regulator is the problem. Are the voltage regulators serviceable at all, or are they junk that needs replaced once the voltage strays out of range?

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
IF those are a point style regulator and IF YOU know what you are doing..... They can be adjusted.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Well last year I replaced the voltage regulator and to my surprise it made no difference. That's what you get when you don't troubleshoot but just guess instead, $30 wasted. Alternator output was still way to high. 17-20V was the norm.

Last week I had to break down and replace the battery. I decided I had to figure this charging problem out to make the batteries last longer. I tore into it this weekend and am happy to report I'm running in the 12-15V range now. I also got the gage and headlight circuits straightened out and will have lights once I get some bulbs.

While I was in there I stripped a ton of extra wire out and that made it much less overwhelming. I think Kubota had one master harness for many models/options. The main ignition switch had been rewired incorrectly and one of the 6 regulator leads had been cut. The service manual and wiring diagram were very helpful and I'm optimistic that the battery will last longer this time.