venting front axle bx1860

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Well finally installed a small vent in filler cap. I hope this will work. It is a oil filler from an old electric motor. I drilled through the filler cap and then enlarged the top of hole to accept the shaft and cap that is 1/4” . It is not to high out of the cap but will allow air to escape the front axle. Will see how it works in the summer. Maybe I will be changing it out to some of the other ideas from this forum. Time will tell.

so was able to put the vent I wanted to try into the filler plug on the front axle of my bx1860. It is a oil filler from an old electric motor. I driller completely through the filler cap on an angle to allow an air passage vent then drilled the cap to 1/4” to push the vent into cap. Has a foam inside the tube in case of any dust. Will see this summer how it works. Should allow a free movement of air to keep the pressure down.
Being electrical in background, I had to laugh at your solution (enjoyable laugh).

Not sure you would even need any foam inside since there is a spring loaded cap on the top (I assume held closed by a spring). Suggest you make sure the foam is open cell and will pass air through it. Closed cell foam would not pass air and act like a plug.

kenbx1860

Mar 31, 2015
canada
Being electrical in background, I had to laugh at your solution (enjoyable laugh).

Not sure you would even need any foam inside since there is a spring loaded cap on the top (I assume held closed by a spring). Suggest you make sure the foam is open cell and will pass air through it. Closed cell foam would not pass air and act like a plug.
Yes for sure, but the cap doesn’t fit just perfect. So will put a piece in just for my peace of mind. I have an electric background also but have always invented or made things I require when I can’t find anything I really like in stores. I’m sure it will do what I want.

kenbx1860

Mar 31, 2015
canada
Yes for sure, but the cap doesn’t fit just perfect. So will put a piece in just for my peace of mind. I have an electric background also but have always invented or made things I require when I can’t find anything I really like in stores. I’m sure it will do what I want.
Is a few years and the cap has worked as it should. Now as I have about 1300 hours on the tractor the seals are leaking and I think I will have to have them replaced. I will look into it to see if I want to tackle it myself or have my dealer do it for me. I do like a challenge but sometimes it’s just easier to have the professionals so it.

Last edited by a moderator: