V2003T proper operating temperature

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Greetings,

I have Kubota V 2003T engine in my Toro Groundsmaster 4500D. Code 1G790-9400D. The engine has approximately 4300 hrs on it. It runs wide open all the time for the hydraulic components to work properly. Today during a test run after a fixed hydraulic component I ran the machine for about 20 minutes in 85 degree weather. The temperature gauge on the dash was reading just over 3/4 so I shot it with an infrared temperature gun. The fan belt was changed recently and the radiator is cleaned after most uses.

The highest reading that I had was 215 and that was on the cylinder head near the back of the engine near where the gauge wire runs. Near the front of the engine was just under 200 I run 50/50 green antifreeze.

What should be the operating temperature of this engine?
Is there a time period where the water pump and or fan clutch on a Kubota engine such as this should be changed as PM?

Thanks for any help
Sean

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Greetings,

I have Kubota V 2003T engine in my Toro Groundsmaster 4500D. Code 1G790-9400D. The engine has approximately 4300 hrs on it. It runs wide open all the time for the hydraulic components to work properly. Today during a test run after a fixed hydraulic component I ran the machine for about 20 minutes in 85 degree weather. The temperature gauge on the dash was reading just over 3/4 so I shot it with an infrared temperature gun. The fan belt was changed recently and the radiator is cleaned after most uses.

The highest reading that I had was 215 and that was on the cylinder head near the back of the engine near where the gauge wire runs. Near the front of the engine was just under 200 I run 50/50 green antifreeze.

What should be the operating temperature of this engine?
Is there a time period where the water pump and or fan clutch on a Kubota engine such as this should be changed as PM?

Thanks for any help
Sean
It's very possible with those high hours, the water pump, the thermostat, the fan clutch (if equipped) and even the radiator are due to be changed out!

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Thanks for your reply and help Wolfman. I am learning that you are quite the knowledgeable go to man on here! I will keep a close eye n this machine. The operator says that it never goes above the temperature on the gauge that I described. This winter I will pull the radiator and inspect it well as they do fail often because of age and crud on these. I use 50/50 green antifreeze.

Is there a time period that you recommend changing the water pump? It seems OK when I spin it by hand when the fan belt is off but are the internals really that great? There is a fan clutch. While it seems to be working it is not as tight as a new one. I will also change the thermostat and hoses while I am in there.

I have another 4500D mower V2003T with over 7K hours on it. Temp runs about the same on the gauge. The water pump has not been changed but the fan clutch was at about 4700 hrs.

These engines run great overall. Is there anything else that you recommend that I add to the winter checkup list?

Thanks
Sean